“Great Resort” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Valentin Imperial Maya

Save Saved
You added Valentin Imperial Maya to your Saves list
Valentin Imperial Maya
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Federal 307 Chetumal Puerto Juarez KM 311 500 | Playa del Carmen, Playa del Secreto, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
“Great Resort”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

We stayed at the Valentin from 7/4/14-7/9/14 and we enjoyed it very much. This was a beautiful resort! very well kept and very nice employees.

ROOM: We stayed in the Silver JR Suite. I think that the bathroom could have used a little bit more privacy than was offered. Even for a married couple we would have liked more. There was however a very nice big Jacuzzi tub in the bathroom! We did not have an ocean view but we did have a little patio that overlooked some jungle like landscaping that was very pretty. Also,there is not a lot of drawer space in the room either so if you are a traveler that likes to unpack you might not be able to in this room.

THE RESORT: The property it self is huge so be ready to walk. We were lucky and our room was pretty close to the pool and the main eating areas. The whole property is beautifully landscaped and very well kept. You will also encounter some of the native wildlife while in the resort which is a really nice touch. The hotel itself is very quite. There are not a like of young folks running around being loud and crazy.

FOOD & DINING: I don't think that I ate one bad thing while on the resort. There are several different restaurants and various types of foods to choose from. They do tell you that there peak hours for eating are from 7-9 and they are not lying. the first night that we were there and went to dinner I believe that we waited for over an hour. We had a party of 4. Also they do enforce the dress code. more so for men then women. make sure your better half has collard shirts because you have to wear them at every restaurant for dinner.

ACTIVITES: The resort does it best to keep you entertained 24 hours a day. For those of you who like to work out they did have a little gym with yoga, Pilates, and zumba classes. While we were there we took a little bike tour tough the property and got to see a lot of the grounds that we probably would not have seen if we had not done the tour. They also had games going on out at the pool throughout the day and then shows and music at night. We made it to one show and it was pretty good.

All in all it was a very nice vacation. We went with three other couples who all had a very good time. We spend a lot of our time at the pool rather than the ocean. The ocean was beautiful and the hotel offered little cabanas to rent out on the beach. People also saved chairs out at the pool very early even though is says that you are not supposed to. I would also recommend to bring your own pool floats if you like to lay in the pool and float because there are very few and again people horrid those too even though it says not to.

6,626 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,849)
Irvine, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW via mobile

We just checked out of 7 nights at this resort July 3 through 10th. Upon arrival we were greeted with champagne, quick check in ,room was ready as we arrived at 5pm. We had been to Sandals and agreed to not to the butler privileged service because we felt we never really used it, and we were treated like royalty without it. We booked through allinclusiveoutlet.com best value ever. We got the silver deluxe suite which was the most inexpensive and it was luxurious and the bed was so comfortable. Room was cleaned daily, Matter of fact, everywhere you went the grounds were being cleaned, upgraded or maintained. Staff went above and beyond. We tipped often, but really didn't need to, but they work so hard, it was our pleasure to leave gratuity. Nightly shows and great live music, and danced till we dropped. The beach was perfect, no rocks, just beautiful, see to your feet Caribbean water. The nightly sunsets took your breath away. As far as food, it was fresh, made to order, variety of choices with six nightly restaurants varying in ethnic flare. For my birthday, the room was decorated and the wait staff all new because by day two they know your names. Amazing! I have stayed in Cancun 14 times and nothing beats this resort. The breathtaking jungle placed in modern amenities to make you comfortable, pampered and spoiled. Best all inclusive every. We will be back!

• Stayed July 2014
Columbus
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

The Valentin exceeded my expections in service excellence. Whenever I would ask for directions on how to get somewhere, the associate would walk me there and make sure I got to my destination. Dinners were served in a manner that made me feel like a VIP. We always left a tip because they work so hard. The concierge is experienced and friendly, and even though they said it would be 3 oclock before the room was ready, at 1:30, Juan tracked me down to tell me that the room was ready. We got great service whether or not we gave a tip, To me, service is what makes a resort 5 star.
The grounds were well kept and easy to navigate. The speakers for the piped-in music are camoflaged as rocks and coconuts to keep from ruining the beauty. I really didn't see the need for the music, as the birds make their own, but it didn't bother me or detract from the ambiance.
I was glad for an adults only escape. There was plenty of entertainment and they kept everyone busy with games at the pool. An excellent house band and dj helped to keep the evenings fun.
The room was spotless, and though I upgraded to a swim up, I'm not sure I would next time since all the rooms are nice. Building 7 was in a great location, in between the beach and the pavilion. I never saw a single bug or ant in the room, those of you who have travelled to the jungle before know how amazing that is.
Beach is great, even though the sand is not as soft or the waves as gentle as Maroma beach, very pretty and enjoyable. I would say it is one of the best we have been to, and I have been all over from Tulum all the way up to Isla Mujeres. Its cool that they look out for the turtle eggs and protect the animals. The staff went above and beyond with genuine caring and I will definitely return.

Room Tip: There arent many ocean views rooms. If your heart is set on ocean view, building 11 room 201, 202 or...
South Fulton, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Stayed at the Valentin 7/1/14-7/6/14. Enjoyed it very much. This resort has everything.
ROOM: I stayed in an Emrald JR Suite and loved this room. We requested ocean front and you can't see the ocean. They were going to move us when a room on a higher floor when one became available but the land scape is so beautiful we didn't care. We stayed on the ground floor. Comfortable bed, patio with a hammock. 2 sink vanity, private bathroom. The shower leads to. Jacuzzi that we did use and had no problems.
POOLS: listen up! There is a main pool; and a pool with a lazy river. Then a private pool for Silver suites. 2 sides to the main pool. One side is where a lot of activities are going on and people having a lot of fun. Lots of drinking going here, so if you are wanting quiet time this isn't the area, the other side of the main pool is somewhat calmer but not quiet. Again people drinking and having a good time, it's mucho fun and the GO TEAM are providing entertainment and they are FUN!! Love you guys!swim up bars and if they don't put enough liquor in your drink ask them to put more, they will. The lazy river area is very nice and quiet. This is where you want to be for quiet and relax, sometimes it seemed you could hear a pin drop. Love this area also.
FOOD: Gabriella at Mar Tiara( I think) the restaurant on the beach, makes the best omelette I've ever had. At this buffet they make a pico de gallo that is wonderful. I ate this every morning. We ate at the itilian restaurant, room service, and the other nights at the place on the beach. It was close to our roomAnd the food was great. And we ate at the Mexican place and it is good. We sat outside it was beautiful.
One other thing is the bar Don Miguel's. Gilberto is the main bartender here. He made me a home made margarita. No sugar mix here. Fresh lime juice and other fresh stuff and it is the best Margrita I have ever had. You must go there and have one or two or maybe 3, I did and loved them!
But only Gilberto knows how to make them this way, it is a very nice lounge. Trust me you will love Don Miguel's
All of the staff are great Axel would come and pick us up at our room and take us back. This place is HUGE. Our room and area we were staying was very quiet, building 11. The plaza at night is the,place to be... Fun fun fun, and the GO TEAM are here also dancing with us and having fun!
Yes I would stay here again!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
F T, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Valentin Imperial Maya, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Dear Laura from South Fulton, Tennessee

Thank you very much for your review, It is very important for us to know that you had a great stay, our VIM team (especially Go team)is one of the most motivated as we love to know that our guests are having wonderful experiences.

Again thank you again for your comment and we would be more than happy to welcome you back for a second holiday in our resort.

Please do not hesitate to contact us prior to your arrival so we can assist with all pre arrival requests and be sure that your stay surpasses all expectations.

E mail : customercare@valentinmaya.com

Receive our warmest regards,
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

The culinary experience here without a doubt sets this resort apart from others we have tried in this price range. The food alone is worth coming here. There are a few areas of opportunity for this resort, as with any. Despite the small issues, we really enjoyed our time at Valentin and will probably be back.

FOOD: The food at Valentin is what sets it apart. It truly is a step above the rest. From our experience all the food was fresh, of good quality and was flavored very well. They actually use spices in their dishes so the food doesn't taste bland. It tastes how you would expect it to taste. Our favorite restaurant for dinner was Mar & Tierra by the beach where we enjoyed the seafood. Particularly the whole fish. The main buffet switches the dishes offered daily, its not always the same old thing everyday. The buffet food appeared to be all fresh dishes, not leftovers from 3 days ago reused to make a new dish. A lot of resorts do that.
Room service wasn't too bad either although I ordered the steak 3 times and twice it was uncooked (raw) in the middle. Even on the last day before we flew out I was still being surprised by the food quality.

DRINKS: The frozen pina colada, margarita and strawberry daiquiris were our staples. The mixed drinks here are very good. Just like the food, they are using quality syrups and juices for their concoctions. Very impressed. Service at the swim up bar in the pool was excellent. They were fair with who was next in line. Some true professionals working there. I did have trouble getting gold tequila though when I asked for it. Most of the time they would just give me white. (I also tipped $1 for every order)
As for beer. Only Dos Equis and Coors light were available resort wide.

ROOMS: Our room was located in building 3. Upon entering we were shocked to discover 2 twin beds and not a Queen. A few signs of wear. Water damage in one of the framed pictures, rust on the top and bottom of lamp shades. Sunscreen infused into the hard wood floor. (See pictures for all above issues)
The room was more than adequate, bathroom was big for a base room, however we chose to upgrade so we could sleep in the same bed.
As the resort was at capacity we had to upgrade a few tiers.
Our upgraded room was in building 9. Building 9 is on the rocky but quieter side of the beach.
A much nicer room and again more than adequate but with a few issues as well. Our Jacuzzi was FILTHY (see picture). Quite a bit of hair, dirt and sand. I wiped it down with a towel (see picture). Even after filling and emptying the tub 3 times it was still dirty. The temperature in the room was just enough to be comfortable. The thermostat goes down to 68 but the room stayed at 77F (25C) for our entire stay (see pic). If you sleep on your back, the green flashing light on the smoke detector right above the bed might be an issue as you can see it flash every 10 seconds even when your eyes are closed.
There was some white paint or sunscreen stuck onto our headboard but the bed was comfortable. Few of the sheets had holes or stains but were clean. The in room safe worked great. Enjoyed the hammock on the balcony.

POOL: We used the main pool everyday and enjoyed the swim up bar. Could use some more chlorine though, I felt like I was swimming in pee.

BUGS: (see pictures for all encounters)
In our original room in building 3 there was a small spider in a corner of the ceiling (pic).
We upgraded ourselves to building 9. I was slowly waking up on the first morning. Still under the covers when I felt something running up my leg. It was a huge cockroach (see pic) the length of my pinky. Scared me but luckily im not afraid of cockroaches. Spiders are my Achilles heel.
Later that night I was winding down getting ready to go to sleep. Finished up on the toilet, flushed, stood up and a HUGE spider almost the size of my hand (see pic) scurried up over the door frame and ran along the wall closer to me. I ran out and screamed like a little girl (im a man), and got my can of RAID that I had the foresight to bring with me. I attempted to spray it twice in rapid succession and it DODGED the spray both times! Third spray it didn't move and I gave it a good 10 second blast. It stayed glued to the wall for 7 minutes before dropping to the floor.
I spent the next 2 hours in the lobby on the wifi looking at flights home. I decided to stick it out. Albeit with 1 eye open when I slept. Im glad I stayed as this was the end to my close encounters of the bug kind.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guests from Toronto, Canada

Thank you for the comments you have published on Trip Advisor about your vacation in October 2013. First of all, we would like to say that much has changed since your last visit in the Valentin .

We will take your observations into consideration, as they will assist us in our ongoing commitment to improve our services and facilities.

We would also like to point out that as many hotels in this area ,our resort is surrounded by natural tropical rainforest and during some season you might find more insects as we are in their natural habitat, Insects are a bad thing under any circumstance and in our business we can’t afford to be casual or careless about this and we take it very seriously. Our deepest apologies to you for this experience; we will continue to do everything in our power to stay ‘insect’ free..

We hope that despite of this situation you afford us the opportunity to serve you again at the Valentin Imperial Maya.

Kind regards
Los Angeles, California, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

We are a young couple in late 20s/early 30s. The resort is VERY quiet, many of guests are in late 40s or +. It almost felt like it was too quiet for us. The room is nice, but nothing amazing.

things I like: bf really liked "dirty monkey" drink , beautiful beach and pool

Things need improvements: Really old/poor quality TV in the room, looks like it's from 20 years ago. Breakfast/Lunch buffets are very mediocre. Room service menu is horrible and takes 1 hour to deliver.

For dinners, we tried the french, which was great (duck legs, escargots) and Ginger's teppanyaki was fun but mediocre food (Benihana is much better) Overall pretty disappointed about their food, but I am a foodie so I have high expectation.

tip: strict dress code, make sure guys bring long pants, closed toe shoes and collared shirts!

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
F T, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Valentin Imperial Maya, responded to this review, 3 days ago
Dear Eunice from Los Angeles, California

Thank you for your time and we are very sorry to hear that we have not met your expectations at 100 % and the levels of services that characterize our resort and company were not met at the instance.

Please be assured that we have shared your feedback regarding the TV with the rest of the team, we all took your suggestions as a learning tool and will keep working to improve our services

It is also disappointing to learn that you were not satisfied with our food; since the great majority of our guests like our gastronomic option with 7 thematic restaurants “à- La Carte”, with a wide variety of both cold and hot dishes to comply the expectations for all ages and nationalities .

On the other hand we are happy to know that you enjoyed our drinks , beautiful beach and pool.

We take your comments very seriously and appreciate you taking the time to share them.

Kind Regards,
Clayton, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

I had a destination wedding at the Valentin. Our wedding planner Ana was excellent, she took care of everything from my very first email to our private round-trip transfer from the resort to the airport. My wedding was everything that I dreamed of and more. Our guests had such a great time and our photographer provided by the resort was amazing!
The resort policies have changed a lot since the last time we were there. We visited in 2009 and there was no privilege package and we had lobster pretty much every night, and we were upgraded to a swim up for free, which is why we fell in love with the resort. They also did not enforce the dress code as much as they did this past visit. I understand that people should not be wearing sim suits and flip flops to dinner but before everything was much more laid back and relaxed. During this visit, I felt that they asked for a lot more extra money (paying for lobster, cabanas, wines, etc) and we had already spent a lot to be there so we did not pay for any of it.
Even though the policies have changed we still loved the resort. We stayed in a swim up suite, which is great right next to the pool. The food and service at the restaurants were very good. We had a beach dinner as part of our wedding package and Carlos our server was awesome! The spa was great, we had massages on the beach, a facial massage, and I also got my hair and makeup done for my wedding and it was perfect.
We had such a great time at the Valentin and are so happy that we chose this resort to celebrate our wedding day and honeymoon.

Room Tip: Building 6, 7, or 8
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Emily from Clayton, Nueva Jersey

Thank you very much for having chosen Valentin Imperial Maya for your wedding and honeymoon. congratulation!

Exceed your expectations is our goal, we are very glad that you experienced a wonderful time with us.

We took also good note of your observations regarding the privilege package and dress code with our executive team in order to take the appropriate measures in the future.

We would be more than happy to welcome you back in our resort.

Please feel free to contact us.

E mail : customercare@valentinmaya.com

Warm regards from VIM,

Been to Valentin Imperial Maya? Share your experiences!