It took approximately 20 minutes to get to the resort from the airport. It was around noon, and our room would not be ready until 3:00, so we used the courtesy room to change into cooler clothes.
We got a drink and walked around the resort to familiarize ourselves with the property. This is a HUGE property, so be prepared to do a lot of walking.
My husband and I prefer rooms on the beach where we can walk directly off our patios onto the beach. We went down to the emerald suites, which is the room category we booked, to check where our room was. They were cleaning and let us walk through … it was not a very big room, dark; no direct access to the beach from patio. It was kind of steep with a lot of rocks & vegetation. To get to the beach, we had to walk out back, down a ways and around down to the beach.
We took a walk on the beach (not the nicest beach, gravelly, kind of a climb up/down to beach). Appeared that the only shady spots (palapas) were for "privilege" guests, for which you had to pay an additional $50 per person, per day.
We walked around the resort and came to the golden suites (along the lazy river and near the lagoon), which was kind of in the middle of the property and a much shorter walk to restaurants, lobby, shops, entertainment, etc. than the emerald suites would have been. We went to the lobby and asked about getting a change in room (a downgrade) … they had one available on the 1st floor, which was perfect for us. It was a large, beautiful room, huge bathroom, nice sitting area, in a very quiet area. It was in building seven, in the middle of the golden suites buildings. There were two loungers in the grassy area off our patio. The key given to us for the room didn’t work, so we had to go back up to the lobby and get that fixed. Note: these are not true “swim-up” rooms. You cannot swim directly from the pool to your patio. There is a grassy area and concrete path between the rooms and the pool. The pool was quiet a good portion of the day, until late afternoon. There was a bar down at the end of one of the golden suites buildings to keep you supplied with drinks.
We found the food at most of the restaurants to be very good. We weren’t too impressed with the French restaurant. The Asian restaurant was very popular.
My one complaint at the bars was that no one was willing to make me a margarita from scratch ... they were all pre-mixed with the extra sweeteners that I don’t like.
This was a very nice resort, with a mixture of age groups, good entertainment. However, since we prefer resorts that are a little smaller and more intimate, we would probably not return to this particular resort.
- Also Known As:
- Valentin Imperial Maya Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Valentin Imperial Maya Hotel
- Valentin Imperial
- Valentin Imperial Riviera Maya
- Valentin Imperial Maya Riviera Maya, Mexico
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hotel Valentin Imperial Maya is the new definition of paradise. Our 5 star Adults-Only (18+) All-Inclusive Resort is located a short 25 minutes from Cancun International Airport in the Riviera Maya.Set amid lavish gardens on a half-mile-long stretch of white sand beach named Playa Del Secreto (The Secret Beach), this magnificent award-winning resort boasts one of the largest swimming pools in México. The location is ideal as one can easily reach Cancun and the world famous Mayan archaeological sites such as Tulúm, Cobá, and Chichen Itzá, yet be removed enough to enjoy the casually elegant ambience of Valentin Imperial Maya.Escape into a world where your every wish is our command. Come indulge yourself….you deserve it! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, BookIt.com, Travelocity, Amex, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Hotels.com, Tingo, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, getaroom.com, Priceline, Venere and Agoda so you can book your Valentin Imperial Maya reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.