“Don't hesitate to book this resort !” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Valentin Imperial Maya

You added Valentin Imperial Maya to your Saves list
Valentin Imperial Maya
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Federal 307 Chetumal Puerto Juarez Km. 311 +500, Playa del Secreto, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Rochester Mich
“Don't hesitate to book this resort !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

My husband and i just returned from a wonderful and relaxing week at this resort. Stayed Feb 9-16. We have stayed at many all inculsive resorts in Mexico and the Caribbean and I would rate VIM in the top two. The service is outstanding, everyone we encountered from the front desk , the bartenders, the servers in the resturants, all the staff ! just to name a few, Roberto, always there to shuttle us to and from and always with a smile and OLA ! Waiters: Ivan, Alfonso, Victor. Staff,: Victor, Sergio, Genero, Kudos to a waiter in the Indonesian resturant I think his name was Geramo. not sure of the spelling but he was excellent!
We stayed in the Emerald suites building 11. Perfect ! we could see the ocean from our balcony and it was right next to a path leading to a fantastic and very quiet beach. We vacation for relaxation and privacy, and this was the perfect choice. There was a pool just across the road that i could go to and float when I got too hot. If you're looking for action and fun , the main pool offers plenty for everyone.
The grounds of this resort are beautiful. The resort is very large, but every inch is iimmaculately groomed.The topgraphy is unusual with every effort made to preserve the natural landscape. If you have problems with the size of the resort, or the long walk just call for a ride, a cart will arrive at your service anytime within five minutes.
We enjoyed the food in all the resturants with the indonision being our favorite. Breakfast was amazing in both resturants with cooked to order omelettes and eggs and a large varity of fresh fruit. Ask for a cappuccino? at your command ! A personal note regarding the bad reviews about the food, Please remember this resort does not claim to offer gormet cusine. If you are a foodie and therefore critical of the food choices then perhaps you should book a resort with a private chef.
Spa: thank you Yuri for one of the best spa treatments I"ve had the pleasure of recieving. Also thanks to Yuri and Sara for theor service.
In closing The only downside to our stay A VIM: No Wi-Fi in rooms !!! i would hope a resort of ths caliber cold manage this for their guests. I have an IPad and enjoy using it. but was unable to unless by the main pool, or in the lobby. LAGOON Stinks , smells like sewage. a real turn off! Can see no reason why this is there as it detracts from the overall experience of this beautiful resort.

Room Tip: Emerald Suite, Building 11. Room 11206 ocean view, very quiet, right nexr to path to beach, across...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
K L, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Valentin Imperial Maya, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Dear guest from Rochester Mich,

We really want to thank to post your review and we are sure this has helped many travelers to confirm that our Valentin Imperial Maya Resort is the perfect hotel for their vacation.

Thank you also for rate us in the top two for the all inclusive resorts in Mexico and the Caribbean; we wish to have the same ranking with Trip advisor !!!

Please be assured that your feedback has been displayed in the hotel for all our staff to see.

Regarding the wifi , I confirm you that we are quite aware that as a resort of that caliber we have to offer the wifi in the rooms; this is why we are working very hard to be able to offer it in a very near future.

Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you again very soon.

Warm regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,127)
EHT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

My wife, myself and another couple recently returned from the VIM. Before choosing the VIM we poured over reviews for this and other resorts. Once we decided on staying at the VIM we began to scrutinize reviews for this resort. Some of the comments we read had us a little concerned "pool too cold", "food inadequate", "rooms dirty", "Grounds too big", "no where to sit at pool" etc. etc. I say "Phooey", the people that write comments such as these are the types of people that can never be made happy.
We used Olympus Tours for our transport from airport to resort. Drivers were friendly, courteous, clean and proffesional. Offered good advice and tried their best to tell us what we were seeing. He also instructed us on whom to speak with to make arrangement for our return. There was a bit of a language barrier but that is my fault as I am in Mexico and dont speak spanish.
Upon arrival at VIM we were greated by friendly baggage handlers who took our bags to a holding area and directed us to the front desk for check in. Yes we were given cold towels. At check in we were offered drinks of mamosas, margaritas, champagne or "anything we wanted". Our room was ready but our friends was not. They offered them a room to change in and to store their bags but they were located next door so we went to our room. The room was a Junior Deluxe and it was spaciuos, clean and more than adequate. Should I complain here that the fancy towel or sheet animals were missing, I dont think so.
I'm getting wordy so I'll try to move on. The beach was amazing! As we approached, the hotel staff was cleaning the beach. To the right the beach is rockier but closer to the bar and the bathrooms and less populated. You can still go in the water but be careful. Servers came around often and for you whiners that dont feel they come around enough just get up and stroll to the bar as we did. To the left is the guarded beach where you can truly swim. There were schools of fish in the water which freaked my wife out but made it feel very tropical for me. Beach volleyball if you wish. Had no problems finding a seat at any of the three beach visits but yes the palapas were taken early. Who cares I left the snow in Jersey and didn't want to sit in the shade.
The pool was amazing, with the activity pool on one side and the quieter pool on the other. Again had no problems getting a seat on either of the two visits and did not get up early to play the towel game. On one occasion we asked people near chairs with towels on them if they had seen anyone sitting there, they said no so I moved their stuff, problem solved. The water temp was perfect for the weather, refreshing.
The bars were great very busy but service was fast and I mean at all of them. Top shelf liquors, if you order a drink and and want something specific just ask for it. If you want more booze in your drink just ask for it, dont come here and complain that "your drink was watered down" not true. Had no problems. If your going say hello to Sergio the server and Louis the bartender. They are good people.
Caught the circus show and was really entertained, enjoyed dancing and drinking in the plaza. Also enjoyed playing pool and games at the sports bar
Food was fabulous. First night went to lobster house and ordered the lobster. It was so big we couldnt finish. We had ordered some sort of broiled clam app and when it came the clams were larger than what we were used to in Jersey. I felt bad, because I dont like to waste food but our waiter apologized and asked if we would like something else. No complaint here it was just their take on a clam dish we were not used to. Breakfast was great wherever you go. Mexican was fantastic, had a great time with the waitress and she was very patient with us as we had been drinking a bit that day. Sushi was good, if your a hoowdie toowdie sushi critic maybe you wont like it. But Im just Joe Public that likes sushi, and I liked this sushi. Italian was least favorite. Again dishes came out that we were not used to, just their take on it. No complaints as again the waiter asked if we wanted anything else. Apps were good though.
Staff was more than helpful. Be it room service, bartenders, wait staff , porters. We had an issue with our room safe at one point and called the front desk. We were told someone would be there within fifteen minutes, should I complain at the delay to my vacation? No just grabbed a beer out of the fridge and sat on the porch looking at the amazing view, they came in three minutes.
People: I had read that this was a quiet resort in one review, well your probably a dud anyway. The four of us met so many people just like us we couldnt believe it. You cant remember all the names so everyone became "Utah", "Boston", "NY", "Indiana", "Canada". Remember fun is what you make of it and we made alot of fun.
If I had any suugestions for the resort it would be (1 expand the WiFi, wouldnt be that hard or expensive (2 put a hot tub in (3 perhaps reserve the palapas for people that have upgraded but have them reserve them by say 11:00am so guests may make use of the seats.
Enough already. The four of us are just regular people. I'm a ditch digger by trade. We LOVED this place, for the money and value it cant be beat. We have never been here to any AI resort but don't see any reason not to come back. The only exception would be we might want our kids to experience this and VIM is adult only. If they open a family resort, we'll be there. Do yourself a favor and visit VIM.

Room Tip: Stayed in building 4 on the ground floor in the Junior Delux and it was central to everything. I ima...
Dear Mr. Fred,

We really want to thank you for the positive impressions and the suggestions you have published on Trip Advisor about your recent stay at Valentin Imperial Maya.

Please be assured that we have shared your feedback with the rest of the team, we will keep working to improve our services and make sure our entire guest feel welcomed.

Regarding the wifi connection, we do have wifi in the lobby and round the pool but we are working very hard in order to offer it in the all resort in a very near future.

Thank you also for recommending our property. We hope to see you again very soon for your 2nd visit at Valentin Imperial Maya.

Cordially,
Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

Beautiful place!!! Great service and food. We followed suggestions from the previous reviewers to get place by the pool by putting personal belongings to 'reserve' place before the breakfast. There is lots of space but if you want specific one you have to do that. Large pool and beach allows for the place do not feel overcrowded.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
K L, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Valentin Imperial Maya, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Dear recent VIM guest from Canadá,

We would like to send you our warmest appreciations for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at the Valentin Imperial Maya.

We are pleased to know you had a good time and you liked our resort.

We really appreciate you let us know we are providing a good service.

We look forward to serving you in the future.

Wishing you all the best,
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

First off, we read many many reviews leading up to choosing the Valentin Maya for our vacation. 9 out of 10 were excellent, however the few that wrote bad reviews probably have nothing better to do in life than complain about things because this resort is amazing! From everyone that works there to the food & drink, to the beaches, pools, rooms...everything was wonderful.
SHUTTLE SERVICE: We used Olympus Tours. It was fast and easy. We were met by their staff at the airport as they were holding a sign with my name. My suggestion is schedule ahead with a reputable company like Olympus or else you're dealing with all the taxi companies looking for your business.
CHECK IN: We were warmly greeted and given a cold towel after getting off our shuttle. The check in staff was great. We arrived at 10:30am and were told the room would not be ready until 3:00pm but we were free to take advantage of everything at the resort. We used one of their shower rooms to freshen up and went to the pool, lunch and beach until our room was ready.
ROOM: We chose to reserve the Emerald Suite because we wanted to be near the beach. We had requested a second floor room after reading the other reviews but were told they were all booked. Guess what...the first floor room worked out better! We walked out of our sliding glass door (Building 12) and we were 50 feet from the beach. Easy in, easy out. We loved it. Also, it was my birthday and the staff made the extra effort to post a "Happy Birthday" sign on the door as well as a cake made from towels, and a piece of chocolate cake. And finally, the room was clean and always well stocked with water, beer and soda.
BEACH: Amazing! The white sand beaches are great. The entire property is well groomed, clean, has a variety of options to sit, swim, walk, lay out, whatever you desire. Many reviews had suggested getting out early to reserve chairs. We had no such problems, but then again if you desire a certain location, then perhaps it is wise to get up early and place your towels down. Also, part of the beach is rocky but there's an area for swimming which is immaculate.
POOLS: We took a few swims in the pools although we spent the majority of our time on the beach. The pools are clean and accomodating with plenty of drink stands. Btw, if you want to exchange your large beach towels for fresh ones, go to the shack at the main pool. Housekeeping has nothing to do with the beach towels!
FOOD & DRINK: We dressed up and spent two of our nights at the Italian restaurant and the French. We went to the Indonesian and steak house as well. Breakfast and lunch buffets are outstanding with a huge variety. I read mixed reviews on the restaurants, but here's what I thought...the staff everywhere is amazing and go above and beyond to make sure everything is great. At the Italian restaurant I ordered filet medalions that came with rice. The rice was undercooked but didn't really bother me too much. At the French and steak house, both time I ordered my filet medium and it came more towards well done. These were the only problems and honestly, it didn't bother me enough to even mention because everything else was great and very tasty. Also, we liked to get out early before the restaurants opened at 6pm. So we would head over at 5:30, get a glass of wine and find a place to relax for a bit before heading in. We never had a problem getting seated when arriving early. At the Indonesian place we arrived at 7:30pm and were seated after a 2 minute wait! As far as the drinks go, they have top shelf liquor and great bartenders and staff. Anytime you want a drink, it's not far away. They also stock the refrigerator in your room with beer.
STAFF: We never encountered anyone at anytime that looked like they didn't want to be working! They bend over backwards to make sure you are taken care of. Also, we tipped the staff and quite honestly, some don't. With the way they go above and beyond, tipping a dollar or two here and there is not going to break you. We tipped around $4 or $5 for dinners, $3 a day for housekeeping and a dollar here and there for drinks, breakfast/lunch, golf cart rides, etc. Trust me, the few dollars you tip are worth it.
DAY TRIPS: The only one we scheduled was a trip to Chichen Itza to see the Mayan ruins. We set this up at the hotel through our shuttle company, Olympus Tours. Any tour is easy to set up at the hotel. Olympus has a desk at the hotel. The trip was amazing and everything went smoothly from pick up to drop off. Next time we will definitely do a snorkling tour and maybe a trip to the ruins in Tulum.

Thank you to everyone there that made our stay relaxing, fun, and memorable. We will be back to the VIM!

Room Tip: If you like the beach, I thought the Emerald Suite was worth the upgrade.
Dear Mr. Nick from L.A,

What a great pleasure is to read such wonderful comments; it’s our pleasure to see that you had a wonderful stay with us!

Thank you for such a wonderful reviewing detailing your vacation experience. Your kinds words means more than you know and your feedback has been displayed in the hotel for all our staff to see.

We look forward to your 2nd visit; please feel free to contact us prior to your arrival so we can assist with all pre arrival requests.

Warm regards,
Chatham, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

My wife and I started going to the Riviera Maya twenty years ago. We fell in love with the land and the beautiful people that live there. We have not been in several years and chose the Valentin. We were not disappointed. From yoga in the morning led by a wonderful woman named Metzli, to fine dining in the french restaurant in the evening, to coffee and sushi at night, the rating of five star is well deserved. From the time we arrived to the sad day of departure we were treated like royalty by the dedicated staff. We will be back.

Room Tip: The silver junior suites are smaller than the rest but provide a private pool area and special BBQ f...
Dear recent VIM from Canadá,

Thank you for the positives comments you have published on Trip Advisor about your recent vacation.

Your satisfaction is our reward; we really appreciate you taking the time to let us know we are providing a good service.

We will share your comments with our staff, positive feedbacks as yours encourages us to work harder to offer good service every day.

It will be always a pleasure to welcome you back for your 2nd visit at Valentin Imperial Maya.

Best regards,
Apex
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

We loved the resort overall. The staff was wonderful. The food was very good. The location and grounds were great.
The staff really made the week very nice and truly loved their jobs.
Our only complaint was the room upkeep and the quality of furnishings. The maid service was below par and we received turn down service only two of the six nights.
All said. We had a wonderful time.

• Stayed February 2013
K L, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Valentin Imperial Maya, responded to this review, February 17, 2013
Dear guests from North Carolina,

We really appreciate you took the time to share your experiences with the Trip advisor community.

We are very happy to know that the efforts and friendliness of our staff made a significant difference to your holiday enjoyment and your comments will be displayed within the hotel for all to see.

On the other hand we are very disappointed to learn that we did not meet your expectations with our housekeeping department and would like to take this opportunity to apologize for any inconveniences you experienced during your stay. We have already taken the corrective action with our maid supervisor in order to solve the problem and reduce the opportunity for these mistakes to reoccur.

We look forward to welcome you back for your next visit at the valentin imperial maya resort.

Kind regards
Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

Just got back from a wonderful week at the VIM and had a wonderful time.

We upgraded to the privilege package and was well worth it! The 2 keys advantages that we loved we the reserved cabana beds at the beach or pool and no waiting at the restaurants.
The breakfasts were very good, the lunches were your typical buffet type lunch but the dinners were fantastic, they definitely take pride in giving you a 5 star experience, everything from the service to the presentation of the food.

The ambiance of this hotel was wonderful, it is very obvious that they took alot time to plan this resort and focus on not disrupting the nature surrounding this beautiful resort. This is my 4th time to the Mayan and has been quite impressed at all the resorts that we have stayed at.

The VIM was above these resorts in the following categories
~The overall grounds impeccably kept and this resort is huge!
~Great selection of top shelf liquor and no watering down at this resort!
~The pluses that you got with the privilege package.. AWESOME! (You can always sign up for this if you didn't purchase from your travel provider)
~They have nightly entertainment in 'The Plaza' open air area in the middle of all the restaurants and lobby, you really felt like you were in your own little city

Tips:
If you stay in building 7 or 8 cut through building 3 to get to the main area (restaurants) much quicker :)

As for the towel situation...granted you only got 2 towels BUT look on the bright side, I have been a resorts where towels were aplenty, what happened....the selfish people not only reserved chairs at the beach but they also did this at the pools as well, at least this makes it a little harder for people to hoard

I would recommend this resort with no hesitation at all

I am very impressed that the management at the VIM also read every review (shows their dedication to the overall customer experience) so I am leaving a couple of opportunities

~ Perhaps putting felt pieces on the bottoms of the chairs in the rooms will cut down on the noise heard when sliding the chairs around the room (we were on the top floor and could her this clearly from our neighbours so I can only imagine the noise the people below hear)
~Post a sign by the privilege cabanas advising people how they can obtain one of the beds so they know the process ($$ opportunity for the VIM :) )

Please feel free to write with any questions you may have

Dear guest from Ontario,

Thank you for taking a moment of your valuable time to write your wonderful review for the trip advisor community.

All our employees will be truly motivated by your kind words about your experiences.

Regarding the towel situation, I confirm you that only 2 towels are given ; it is first to prevent people reserving chairs at the beach but also at the pools as you mentioned above. But also because we are part of the project “MARTI”(Meso American Reef Tourism Initiative) to help and protect the environment, reducing washing and the amount of water and chemicals used in the laundry.

Thank you also for bringing to our attention the noise heard by furniture; we wish to reassure you, that we have the intention of putting felt pieces on the bottoms of all the furniture in the rooms.

Please be also assured that we have shared your feedback regarding the Privilege information with our chief concierge, we all took your suggestions as a learning tool and will keep working to improve our services and facilities.

We really appreciate you let us know we are providing a good service. We look forward to serving you in the future for your 2nd visit.

Wishing all the best,

Been to Valentin Imperial Maya? Share your experiences!