“Great Resort” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Valentin Imperial Maya

You added Valentin Imperial Maya to your Saves list
Valentin Imperial Maya
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Federal 307 Chetumal Puerto Juarez Km. 311 +500, Playa del Secreto, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Columbus
“Great Resort”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

This resort was fabulous! The beach was very large and you could walk in either direction for a ways. The pool was clean and maintained nicely with pool rafts to use. There were 2 pool bars. The entertainment staff was wonderful and had activities all day long if you chose to participate. The food was excellent. The various a la carte restaurants were very gourmet and the breakfast and luch buffets has much to choose from. The nightly entertainment was great too. They had multiple bands/shows going on in the same evening. The grounds of the hotel were beautiful. It was a very romantic resort and I can't wait to return. My only wish is that they had a hot tub.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,128)
Erial, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

My wife and some good friends of mine stayed at the Valentin Imperial the 12th through the 17th. As a travel agent I used the Valentin as home base while I was able to tour 5 additional properties during my trip. My first impression of Valentin was wow, the grounds of this place really make me feel as though I’m in the Mayan jungle. They really were able to incorporate the local jungle into the grounds and it even has a natural lagoon on property. Everything is very well maintained! Well done Valentin.

The people/staff, the service, the food, the grounds are all very top-notch. The property is fairly large and has several pools, plenty of activities and the beach is decent. Lots of water features throughout the property to provide a pleasing sound when you want to relax and read a book or “chill-out” with a drink. They also offer Spa services and have decent nightly entertainment. This hotel is great for couples and groups of friends. There were not a ton of single people which would lend itself more to the Cancun strip.

We stayed in a Silver Suite which is what I recommend for the price. The Silver rooms (top floor) offer great views (see attached photo) and are located halfway between the beach and the restaurants. The room has a two person Jacuzzi tub that’s open to the bedroom and allows you to see the view through the sliding glass doors. The bathroom also has a separate shower and toilet with his and her sinks with plenty of tile-work. The furnishings are decent although they need a bigger flat-screen for the size of the room. The bed was comfortable. The Silver Suites also have their own pool area. There are several higher room categories, like the Golden Suites, swim-up rooms and the “beachfront” but unless you just need a larger room or want to spend the extra money you should be satisfied with the Silver Suites on the top floor (I was able to ensure a top floor room with a view due to my Agency’s relationship with the property).

The restaurants: Le Marche and Mar & Tierra are the “help yourself” smorgasbords. Both have many, many choices including manned carving stations, cooked to order seafood, pork, hamburger and fajita grilles. Desserts, salads soups, you name it. The service for drinks is great and the waiters are extremely friendly and make the experience that much more enjoyable. The French restaurant (L’Alsace) was our favorite. You gotta try the baked Alaska, the “fire show” that is included is something to see! The food quality would rival any French restaurant stateside. The Italian restaurant was authentic with good menu choices. Although we came to dinner close to closing and the staff was “rushing” us out….I definitely did not like that! The Japanese restaurant is the only restaurant that requires a reservation; for the Hibachi Tables only. The Hibachi show was typical but the service was top-notch.

The Pools: The main pool is very large. It has two swim-up bars, waterfalls and a huge foot-bridge that you can float underneath on your pool float. Which, by the way, there were plenty of full-body pool floats available. One thing the water was pretty cold at around 11am, we probably should have waited until late in the day to go in, but…. The Golden Suites and Swim-Up rooms have a dedicated pool that you can see from your room and is across from a natural lagoon. This area is kinda located away from the rest of the resort. The Silver Suites have a smallish dedicated pool next to the main pool.

Beach: The beach was OK. It has some rocky areas. But there were some nice swimming areas as well. The sand was beautiful. The service on the beach was good. The girl came around several times and refilled our drinks.

Extras: The Don Miguel bar was nice. A very spacious upscale place to get a drink. We also played some cards in the Sports Bar, although bring your own cards because they only had one deck in very poor shape! The Theater was extremely spacious and well thought out. The entertainment was decent; it wasn’t Broadway but I’m in Mexico for god’s sake…. The hotel also has a nice Cigar Bar for those that enjoy that.

Also, Nina Cortes at the Lomas Travel desk was very helpful in setting up a tour to Cancun with our own private van.

Well on to the next review. If you have any questions or need any additional commentary or feedback feel free to contact me directly at Michael@TripGuy.com.

London, Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

We just returned from spending Christmas week at the Valentin Imperial Maya. What a stunning resort. Huge property and imaculate! It never feels crowded as there are so many areas to spend your time. The staff were a huge highlight, treating all guests like royalty. Beautiful beach, wide variety of dining and suite options. Will definately return someday.

Denver, CO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

This was our fifth trip to the Valentin in the past four years. I thought I would give you a list of highlights and low lights.

BEST CHANGES SINCE LAST YEAR. There were a number of changes we saw. The new beach bar (they started building it when we were there last year) is very nice. Along with the new bar, they’ve moved the fire show to this area and it is done of Saturday night. They’ve added outdoor seating at the Indonesian Restaurant which is quite nice. I really liked the kerosene torches they have. They have a frequent guest program that you want to join if you like the resort. You can accumulate points that you can use for free nights lodging, discounted spa services, etc. They also seemed to making the drinks stronger this year than previous visits and have more top shelf liquor at more of the bars.

WORST CHANGE SINCE LAST YEAR. The resort has put up Bali Beds on the beach for people in the “Privilege Club.” To do this they had to relocate a number of the palapas from near the beach bar and they moved them down the beach to the swim area. You now have three rows of palapas in this area so you are more crowded in. I’m not a fan of Bali Beds because you only have total shade at noon when the sun is overhead. The rest of the time you have partial to no shade at all. So to me this was lose/lose.

UNEXPECTED BENEFITS. Our room this year was on the third floor of building 4. It was the first time we had been in this building but it brought us an unexpected benefit. We brought down a tablet with us and when we turned it on we found we had wireless internet. I asked if they had it throughout the resort now and they said no, only in the main lobby and at the main pool. I suspect we were getting the signal from the main pool as we were right next to it.

We also got some freebies as repeat guests. I think they have this based upon how many visits you have made to the Valentin and you need to check with the concierge to see what is available to you. But we did get a small plate of sweets sent up about every other night.

FOOD AND DINING. I’m a picky eater so I’m not a good one to tell you if the food is good or bad, but my wife thought the food was the best we’ve had since going there. My favorite restaurant is the French Restaurant while my wife’s is the Indonesian. We ate at both the Teppenyaki tables and at the regular tables in the Asian Restaurant with both being good. We thought the Italian Restaurant was very good (a step up from previous years). We did breakfast at LeMarche each morning and did lunch both at LeMarche and at Terra and Mar. Both were excellent.

CHRISTMAS. We’ve gone to the Valentin right around Christmas for the past 4 years. This year we stayed until Christmas Day. It was a lot of fun. They were decorated with a lot of lights in the common areas in in all the entries to the buildings with rooms. At 4 PM on Christmas Eve Day they had Santa Claus show up on the beach. He came in on a parachute that they tried to land on the beach. It didn’t work so they went back out to sea and pulled him down into the tow boat. One of the employees took a Jet Ski out to get him and brought him back to the beach where he was mobbed by a lot of people who got pictures with Santa. They also had a Santa Sleigh by the beach for Santa and moved that to the main Plaza for a gift giveaway that night. They pulled room numbers out of hat and if the people were there they got free stuff. They gave away a number of romantic dinners on the beach and massages. The top prize was two free nights at the Valentin.

WORST EXPERIENCE. The resort really filled up the Friday before Christmas and it was then we had our worst experience. It seems when you get a full house you have a few people who want to smoke a cigar in the main Plaza. Now VIM has a cigar bar for these folks but they feel entitled to share their smelly cigar with a couple of hundred people. It cut off our enjoyment on two of the nights we were there as the Plaza smelled just nasty. If you are a cigar smoker, give the rest of us a break and use the Cigar Bar.

BEST ENTERTAINMENT. The Valentin had a special night with Mayan Entertainment the day after the world was supposed to end. It was very well done. I don’t know if they will do it again, but it was the most memorable show I can remember.

When we left they told us to come back for a sixth time. There is no doubt we will do that.

Val d'Or, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

This resort beats the Jamaican Sandals we visited before on all aspects. Absolutely excellent food in all a la carte restaurants and at the buffet. The service was great with all staff. Our room was the basic junior suite, but it was spacious, luxurious and above all very clean. Despite that, we did not spend much time in the room because the main pool is nice to hang out and the beach has beautiful white sand and clear water with very little seaweed. The waves are fun to play in (if you like that of course).

The animation staff was awesome, throwing out just the right amount of games at the pool, and participating in both pool and beach volleyball, giving out spanish lessons etc etc. These people made our stay very enjoyable, great job by all the GO Valentine crew (Lidia, Marlene, Christian, Fatima, Rodrigo etc). Thanks for everything!!!

The entertainment at night was very good all week, with high-quality dancers during the shows and a very, very good band for live music. Some solo singers also perform lounge-type music if this is what you like.

Sometimes, maintenance carts rolling in the hallways late at night or early in the morning did make some noise due to the tile floors. It is pretty much the only downside of our entire trip.

Overall, this resort was beyond our expectations on all fronts. We would go back right away.

Room Tip: If you do not like to walk, ask for a room in a building near the restaurants.
Montreal, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

We are just coming back from a 7-day stay which supposed to be a dream honeymoon in a 5 star hotel in the Christmas time. The hotel is on a beautiful piece of land but its poor management has made it far from a 5-star resort. We booked our vacation through Itravel2000 and as of our 3 options we chose Honeymoon, Near Beach and High Floor.

We arrived in the hotel around 9:00 PM. A bellboy directed us to the lobby, which had a bad smell, and asked us to wait for a concierge. After a while one of them came to us and asked if we were waiting for check-in and asked to follow her; no welcome no champagne or anything that could make us feel welcome! We got our deluxe room and as soon as we got in disappointment started. The room was in the first floor, smelled terribly bad and no sign of decoration for honeymoon. I called them right away and they said they had no room till 25th (three days later). In the morning I took pictures of walls, that I am going to upload; Mold was every where!! None of our three options had been granted.

I went to see a manager at the reception. A concierge told us we should talk to him instead. He said honeymoon package and other options had not been approved by the hotel (what a wonderful wise management no? (we had marriage certification)) and if we want we should buy a honeymoon package. We were disappointed because all 5-star resorts try to accommodate you especially if you celebrate a special occasion, which makes a good memory and brings people back, but we did not see any of such understanding in this hotel. Finally we got another room in the second floor that was a bit better. I upload a picture of its broken sofa, but I did not want to spend my time anymore on that and we just accepted that this is a 4 star resort and lived we that. Many other disappointing things that I list a few:

-At the pool , people reserve floating beds under their beach bed even when they were not going to use them for hours; somebody was complaining that we are not coming to 5-star hotel to eat hamburger everyday at the pool; they were serving tea in plastic cups in a plaza adjacent to lobby (normally plastic cups is used near beach for safety not at the lobby area); there was an area at the beach that was for swimming but Jet Ski users were poisoning the air by fume and exhaust; the food was average in general; the mini bar had no alcoholic drink.

Despite that I would never go back nor I recommend you to go, here are a few good things:
-The Christmas lunch was excellent; the entertainment staff were very friendly and they organized amazing shows; the waiters were nice; deserts were excellent; the life guards were excellent; its green nature was great;

Room Tip: Deluxe rooms are very small and in the same quality as 3-star hotels in north america
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

Great property of medium size. Grounds are immaculate and well groomed. Food was better than average with a good choice of restaurants. Open for reservations at 6. Make them early for large groups. We were 10 with 5 adult children and were mostly accomodated. The pool is spectacular with 2 swim up bars. The Golden Jr suite swim up is great for quiet sunbathIng and swimming. The beach is very nice with private palapas available for rent (expensive). It is very clean, lots of sand but the surf was a bit rough so not many ppl swimming. Lots of good entertainment. Wifi is available in main pool area and lobby areas. There is also a computer for use by Golden suites.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Valentin Imperial Maya? Share your experiences!