“Not as good as it could be” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Craig Highland Farm

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Plockton
Craig Highland Farm
You added Craig Highland Farm to your Saves list
Plockton IV52 8UB, Scotland   |
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Not as good as it could be”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2011

The setting of the farm is lovely if a bit tatty, but the lodge we stayed in is a little too careworn for my liking. Our tumble drier didn't work (we were informed on our arrival) nor did the dvd player work after the first two nights; and we were kept awake by the mice in the kitchen. There were mice droppings in the cupboard where the pots were kept and with no dishwasher I was concerned that our health might be at risk. This could be an amazing holiday rental place but personally I do not wish to pay to stay in a place for my holiday that is inferior to my own home accommodation. For example the shower was very temperamental and the kitchen sink was old and careworn and my advice would be to focus on the basics rather than putting teddy bears on the beds. We were told to separate to recycle our rubbish but not given the facilities to do so without leaving out rubbish for the mice to gnaw at overnight. We would go back to the area like a shot, but would find somewhere else to stay - perhaps closer to Plockton village itself which is fabulous. Note no TV reception or satellite at Craig Highland Farm, although we could get mobile phone coverage.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2011

My daughter and I stayed in the 3 bedroom cabin - basic, but comfy beds, and good heating and it meant I wasn't too worried about getting fluff on the carpet. It has everything you need, but homely rather than luxurious. Views were amazing and at the end of June, it stays light until 11.30pm. The veranda was a lovely place to sit and just watch the changing tides, scenery and of course the animals. The peacocks were always sitting on our veranda rail when we got home! The donkeys came as soon as you went near the gate; every time we looked out of the side window, the owl was watching us. The cat in the barn loved being made a fuss of. In the evenings the pine marten would come to see what was on offer - we discovered that it loved marmalade!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Scotland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2011

We arrived to a warm welcome and beautiful views, however that is where the pleasure ended.
We stayed in one of the small one bedroom cabins. Whille I had expected for the price for it to be basic I had expected it to be clean with everything working.
I honestly have never stayed anywhere so grubby (and I have stayed in a bunk house in the past) the kitchen was awful and the fridge even set at number 1 would stay on all the time and freeze everything you put in there. Most of the food I bought was ruined as a result. The constant noise from the fridge was also quite annoying with it being open plan lounge/kitchen spoiling what should have been lovely quietness. The CD/radio did not work and we never bothered trying the TV which you could only use for DVD's anyway.
The floors had a patchwork of rugs covering what would have been a nice practical wood floor. By the nature of the surroundings I don't need to spell out how mucky these were and clearly not vaccumed well and The cushions on the sofa were covered in what looked like dried in saliva.
The bedroom was very small and yet the owners rather than take an hour to paint it had touched up scratches more than once with slightly different coloured paint making it very shabby looking.
We were told on arrival not to bother with the shower and bath instead but we are unable to bath so were left to shower under a dribble of water.
If all that wasn't bad enough the 'caged' animals were in a very poor kept state. One rabbit we looked at on our first day had no water so I couldn't relax until I had attended to it. Clearly the state of the bowl and the actions of the rabbit indicated this animal had run out of water for some time. The hutches were in a dreadful mess and tiny, I would hate any children to view this. The birds of prey enclosures were equally awful and delapitated.
I do not consider this place to be anywhere close to most peoples idea of a conservation farm and so would not recommend a stay here unless you have no interest animal welfare or basic cleanliness.
I would also go so far as to say that I suspect the 'conservation' status the farm advertises/holds could have more to do with obtaining grant awards than any real interest in animals conservation.

What was really annoying to me was that most of these problems could have been rectified with a little elbow grease and caring from the owners. They clearly don't deserve to have customers or to have responsibility for enclosed animals.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2011

Can't understand the moaning reviews, if u want a 5 star hotel then go to one, I have been around the globe with no expense spared, this place is the best by a long chalk, sure the accommodation is basic, but room service is not why u come here! Location, nature, peace, tranquillity, fresh air and the love of the environment is why u come here. Love this place, well done Patti, it is a job well done, keep up the good work with the animals, I will contact u at a later date regarding my decision to donate additional assistance with your wonderful family of wildlife. Chris, Sue and Branston.

• Stayed April 2011
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2010

Spent a week in the small beach cabin. The weekly rate of 185 was reasonable and delivered everything I needed, relaxation. However, much like some of the earlier reviews, the accommodation is basic. This is not a luxury cabin so don't expect modern amenities, or a reasonable shower. Parking could be an issue, if it is wet and you don't have a 4x4, but its only a short walk up a dirt track from the cabin to the car.

Being early winter, it was cold but the wood burning stove done its job. The only major issue we had was a mouse in the cabin which kept us up some nights with its movements. Those scared of spiders need not apply!! There were certainly a variety of them..

Im not sure what the summer rates are but, the winter rate was probably just enough for the class of accommodation. The location just cannot be beaten. Will definitely revisit.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Kirkcaldy, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2010

i have been going to the farm for over 4 years now we go up as much as we can each year the place is amazing value for money u just dont get better

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Loch Lomond and The Trossachs National Park, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2010

There is no doubt that the views are stunning and the cottage was picturesque from outside. It was bigger inside than i had expected,the bedrooms are good sizes with clean bed linen and plenty towels. Unfortunatly the kitchen come living area was very dissapointing....kitchen units were falling to bits,the cutlery drawer was filthy and so was the grill tray. Had to make sure that any foodstuffs were packed away as the mice were helping themselves but suppose thats to be expected in the countryside. The television had no volume control so any DVDs we wanted to watch would have been heard in Plockton...........As for the farm, to say it was dissapointing is an understatement, yes there were plenty llamas, a few goats and some donkeys but as an animal lover and owner i was pretty shocked.........A few hundred pounds spent in the kitchen and living area and it could be a wee gold mine.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Been to Craig Highland Farm? Share your experiences!