“beautiful but unorganized” 2 of 5 stars
Review of English Inn

You added English Inn to your Saves list
English Inn
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   429 Lampson St., Esquimalt, British Columbia V9A 5Y9, Canada (Formerly Olde England Inn)   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Esquimalt
Calgary, Canada
“beautiful but unorganized”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

I recently stayed at the English Inn for 5 nights in preparation for my best friends wedding. Although the venue itself is unique and beautiful it is evident that their is a lack of care for the property and apparently the guests as well. I switched rooms once during my stay (to be in a larger room with my boyfriend) and the room was not cleaned upon our stay. There were no new towels and the sheets were unchanged. Thankfully I knew the person who had been in the room previously so it was a little less bothersome, but still took away from our stay.

Upon booking the venue, the bride (and myself) were given discounted room rates as the entire venue was booked for the day prior and the day of her wedding. When I checked out I was told my room would cost over $300, double what I was originally quoted. In shock, i went to find the bride and groom to see if they could offer assistance. The staff at the English Inn had no idea that any rates had previously been set and could not get ahold of a manager as she was out of town. This was not the first time we had trouble with the staff as there were several occasions leading up to, on the day of and after the wedding where the bride spent precious moments searching for emails to communicate with staff what had previously been agreed upon.

Although this venue is a real-life fairytale, it is extremely poorly managed, unorganized and understaffed. Disappointing,

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Airdrie, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

I was recently part of a wedding that took place at the English Inn. As part of the bridal party we stayed in the hotel for the entire week leading up to and including the wedding day.
I can say that the property is a very beautiful place and the wedding itself couldn't have been any more perfect thanks to planning from the bride. Unfortunately this beautiful day was clouded by a mountain of stress and drama causes by the staff (or lack there of) at the English Inn.
We had to continuously help ourselves to supplies and linens out of their closets because there was no staff on site to supply us with these items. We were then scolded for doing such things, even though we were only trying to clean our own rooms because no staff had done so for numerous days. Also when staff was available I could never tell who actually worked there because staff members were dressed in sweat pants and had no form of identification indicating that they indeed worked there.
There was also a major lack in communication between management and staff members. The bride had to continuously search through her emails to find written documentation of what management and her had agreed to as staff had no idea what was going on. There was no form of management on site during the wedding leaving young staff members unprepared for the huge event that was happening that weekend. As well we were all over charged about double what we were quoted originally at the time of check out. This left us as guest in utter shock and once again the bride had to spend the morning after her wedding searching through emails to find out what the rooms should actually cost.
For such a beautiful venue I can only wish that they were better staffed and managed in order to make our week more enjoyable.

Vancouver, BC, CAD
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013 via mobile

First impressions do make or break opinions, indeed. The estate has a tree lined drive way, that screams quiet! Our check in was easy, and we were given room nine, which is two flights up. The room is clean and quiet! Trails on the grounds presented an interesting walk. Overall, you get everything as advertised! If you love quiet, this is the place to stay at.

• Stayed August 2012
Vancouver, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights in July for a wedding being held on site. The place is very understaffed and unfortunately, I feel as though they may be well over their heads. There was no one on site after 11pm which was not great when the fire alarms went off and there was no one to shut them off. Thank goodness there weren't any actual emergencies.

My room was never made up, I wasn't given fresh towels or linens. The comforter/duvet was just thrown over the bed (the way you would make it if you were 6 year old). The garbage wasn't changed. When I brought this us with the front desk, they said "oh, we've been having problems with one of our cleaning staff".

Don't get me started on the pillows. They had to be original to the English Inn. Mine was wafer thin...

My friends staying in the same hotel actually had a key which opened every room in the hotel, not exactly the safest.

The Inn is old, but the rooms are significantly different in size and quality. I would caution you to ensure your room is what you paid for, before handing over your credit card.

There is no restaurant in the Inn...and you're quite a ways from downtown and the sights.

There are so many beautiful places to stay in Victoria, hotels, inns, B&Bs...so there is no need for you to risk staying at this one.

Calgary, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

The English Inn....in theory, an amazing trip back in time to an adorable glimmer of Victoria history....in reality, a huge disappointment with no knowledge in customer service. My new husband I booked the English Inn for our wedding event over a year ago and just this past weekend finally had our big day. In the time since we booked our event the following happened: the English Inn went through three separate managers whom each time we needed to reexplain our whole event, lost our reserved date for our wedding, could not find our deposit receipt, and at one point attempted to add $10,000 to our rental fees even though we had a previous agreement on price before the establishment went into receivership. We found out later that it had already been in receivership before we booked our wedding date which no one mentioned. We had several people promise us multiple things throughout the process and as we dealt with new managers, employees etc along the way, we were constantly apologized to and they assured us that moving forward we would be a top priority.

Fast forward to the week before our wedding day and our actual wedding and things were a nightmare. It seems to me that the staff was ill prepared to deal with a large event and organization on their part felt obsolete. Further more, it being the most important day of our lives and after having been through such a nightmare leading up to the date we expected top notch service and we, as well as our friends and family who occupied the entire hotel, thought for sure the staff would step it up but unfortunately this was not the case. I emailed the manager after my wedding to explain how mine and my new husband's room had not been cleaned for the three days we were in the honeymoon suite, she wrote back that she could not confirm and/or deny that this was the case (as she was not there) and then turned back on me accusing our family of going into their storage closets. She was correct, we did, we took brooms, garbage bags, cleaning supplies and cleaned our own rooms and several areas of the hotel. This because, there was no one to help us! The grounds have been left to overgrowth and two days before my wedding my mother was weeding the gardens in front of the Anne Hatheway cottage as it broke her heart to see this place in such disarray. The day I left the hotel, which was three days after my wedding, there was still garbage and mess inside the building as well as on the grounds.

At one point during my stay we discovered that several of the keys to rooms in this hotel were "master keys" and could open any room in the inn. It took two days for them to re lock my room as I complained for safety reasons and because I had all of my wedding stuff in my room but what they probably haven't even realized yet is that 6 other keys were master keys as well and after they re locked my room several of my family members could use their room keys for all of the other rooms to get in and out as they pleased. One early morning a fire alarm went off in one of the other guests rooms for over an hour, with no fire brigade, no staff and no help to turn it off. She ended up pulling it out of the wall. My parents then moved into this room for our wedding and the fire alarm stayed broken, wires exposed, and unsafe. When I questioned them on this matter they said the alarm company didn't have time to come out till next week. This was their response with a full hotel with guests and no employees on hand through the night. Obviously safety is not a high concern.

All in all our wedding day was beautiful because I married the love of my life but it is all in part to my amazing family who pulled together and basically ran the event ourselves. The English Inn is truly beautiful and has the potential to be a 5 star stay but with no one taking pride in service, care of the facility, or care for the customer, it is now a washed out, unfriendly, uninviting facility. I thought that we would go back each year and celebrate our anniversary in this lovely place but unfortunately now when we think of the English Inn, a week after my wedding, still dealing with their thoughtlessness, I have anxiety and stress remembering my day and never want to go back again. The cost is not the issue, the price for these rooms and an event would be totally reasonable if you felt like there was any care for you as the customer. If you want your special day to be truly special and stress free, look elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Coaldale, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

My son and new daughter-in-law held their wedding and reception at this hotel in July. I was quite disappointed in the room they hold the reception in as it was once a restaurant and has walls in it which didn't allow everyone to see the head table. It can only seat 50 or so people but some felt left out because of this. The food was good but my son chose beef tenderloin and every serving was rare, most of my guests would have preferred to have it cooked a bit more. The service from the staff was minimal, they didn't ask how anyone wanted their meat cooked and didn't seem to notice when some guests didn't eat their portion of meat. The coffee wasn't served, it was on a tray in the foyer. A meal that included a salad, buns, a few vegetables and a piece of beef tenderloin was approximately $100 a plate. If you are looking for an expensive place to have a wedding this is it. The gardens could be very pretty if they were kept up better and the rooms aren't air-conditioned so they are very hot in the summer.

St. Petersburg, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

We spent 3 days in Victoria, and stayed at the English Inn. It was a great value for the cost. The room was large and clean. The warm fresh Croissants were a great way to start the day, if you can wait till 9 AM for breakfast. The staff were friendly, and did offer to help us carry our luggage up to the third floor, since there was no elevator. The gardens around the hotel were pleasant to view.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Been to English Inn? Share your experiences!