“Great time near Essaouira” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Villa Gonatouki

Save Saved
You added Villa Gonatouki to your Saves list
Villa Gonatouki
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Km 8 Route d'Agadir | El Ghazoua, 44000, Ghazoua, Essaouira, Morocco   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Ghazoua
Paris, France
“Great time near Essaouira”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

The time we spent in Villa Gonatouki was great. The house is beautiful with a wondeful view on the coastal landscape. Landlords are adorable and have a unic sense of welcome. I warmly recommend it for holidays in Essaouira

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Bruno E, Propriétaire at Villa Gonatouki, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
I'm sorry Antoine to answer so late. Thanks a lot for your review. It was nice to accommodate you. You are always welcome!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

If you are looking to get away from the hustle and bustle of Marrakesh, then this villa is the perfect place. We spent three very relaxing days here and the staff were wonderful. If you do get bored, you can take a trip into Essaouria where there are plenty of things to do. I would highly recommend staying here... If we go again, we would probably stay for a full week next time.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Bruno E, Propriétaire at Villa Gonatouki, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Thank you Jay for your review. It was nice to accommodate you and to speak with you. And Ghaoula was happy to improve her English with Hyomin until 4am! I have bought your book and I'll read it this month. And then everybody will be abble to read it at Gonatouki! All the best for the future.
ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

I have thought long and hard as I really do not like doing bad reviews as any place can have a bad day but we were so disappointed with this Villa that my husband went and rechecked the reviews to see did we book the wrong place.
Firstly forget the sat nav co ordinations to here as they do not work so it took us nearly two hours and numerous phone calls to Bruno before we eventually found the Villa. I think the local police thought we just liked going round the roundabout as we must have done it at least five times. What was surprising is the directions we received from Bruno the restaurant has been closed for months and the red cow is a statue on wheels and if someone parks in front of the red cow you will not see it believe me we looked hard for it I notice there is now a photo of the red cow What was strange is that with good directions it would have been easy to find the dirt road as there is a wicker shop just before the turn and a huge white sign for the road works on the main road these are a lot easier to find than the red cow. We were getting so frustrated that we were going to just go and book somewhere else.
Once you turn off the main road you drive up a dirt road and you take pot luck with the road and with finding the Villa. Watch out for the Camels that appear out on the road along with the donkeys. Once you have survived that you then turn onto an even worse surface and you bounce along and you arrive at the Villa we thought we had parked in the wrong place as you had to go through trees to get into the Villa. I thought thank God we have arrived and things can only get better how wrong I was.
We were upgraded to the prestige room and my husbands face said it all when we were shown the room there was a huge chip out of the sink a huge cobweb hanging from the ceiling and towels that were well used. As we were tired we decided to have dinner we had some lovely company at dinner with the other guests but the food was not great the desert was wonderful the starter was burnt. Off we went to bed and I like a hard bed but this bed was like a rock and the pillow was no better.
There had been a wedding the previous week in the Villa and the dying flowers were still in the dining room.
Breakfast as it had rained and the furniture on the veranda was falling apart we decided to have breakfast inside. Breakfast the first morning was poor in a country where there is so much fresh fruit there was none at breakfast only pancakes. Brunos wife accompanied us to the medina and while there I mentioned I would like to book the Haman as she was buying supplies for the next evening I got a very non committal reply little did I know the reason why.
We went back to the villa and lay by the pool the gardens and the pools are beautiful but the pool is not heated so was way too cold for my liking
We went out for dinner and arrived home late and this is where the fun really began. On parking the car we noticed a male in the garden as it was around 11pm and I did not know whether this man was supposed to be there or not I went in search of Bruno when I found him he said oh that is the security guard but there was a problem we had to move out the following day as someone had come who was having a wedding that weeked they had booked three rooms and they now wanted the whole house from Thursday To say I was stunned was an understatement we had been by the pool all afternoon and not once did Bruno come and discuss this with us it was just assumed that we would move to god only knows where when I asked had the new location got a pool I was told no but that we would be compensated.
This really annoyed me as why when you already have a guest did you rent the whole house to someone else apparently just that day!!!!!!
I am sure they knew well ahead of time that they had overbooked as when we booked months ahead of time the Villa was booked out for the following days got the feeling that the hoped we would not arrive. The following morning breakfast was dismal and not once did Bruno come looking for us to apologise so we decided we had enough and went and said we were leaving we did get dinner discounted from the bill but this did nothing to amend the appalling treatment we had received
Bottom line is even if you book you are not guaranteed your stay and there are way better places to stay in Morocco where a booking guarantees your room.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Bruno E, Propriétaire at Villa Gonatouki, responded to this review, July 6, 2013
What a review six weeks after your stay! I apologize even I don't understand why you are so hard with us. Everything was so bad? Probably I didn't spend time enough with you and I'm sorry for that. Perhaps because it was just after my son's wedding. Anyway, I'll consider all your feedback.
You are right we need a signal at the beginning of the track. The administration put all the signals of all the hotels away. We are trying to have a common signal. That's why I sent you an access plan. That gives me an idea : we will made a photo of the beginning of the track and will send it with the reservation. Well, camels and donkeys are fun! That's Morocco.
Our bedrooms are always clean and we made probably a mistake. If you told us we would change immediatly.
The beds are hard because it's better for the back. The guests prefer. I understand it was to hard for you and I'm sorry for that. If you told us we could do something.
You were unlucky with food, because Samira's cooking is really wonderfull. And for the breakfast you can have what you ask (eggs, fruits, bread, creaps...). If we miss to propose that, it's really a mistake. Once again I apologize.
I'm really disapointed because if you wrote a so long bad review six weeks after your stay it's because you keep a very bad remember. Unfortunatly it's too late to do something for you. But I hear what you say and we'll do better for the next guests. For example, one of the pools will be heated in October. Brigite is really nice, but she doesn't speak a very well English. That's why you had this bad feeling.
The security guard turn the whole night. Now we will tell us when people to arrive, so nobody will be surprised to see him.
We were not overbooked and we were sure you'll arrive. We had 5 different mails with Terry your husband, before you arrived. I just made a mistake with your room and I told you it was possible to stay on the same domain, with another very nice room. Perhaps my explication was not good after our nice conversation the evening before during half an hour.
We arrived first on Tripadvisor because we do everything for our guest. Sorry because we fail with you.
I just hope you enjoyed the rest of your journey and I wish you the best for the next holiday.
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

Our son was getting married in a nearby Riad and he recommended the Villa Gonatouki for our stay. From our first contact Bruno was the perfect host, always helpful and quick to respond. Yes it is somewhat remote but this adds to its charm and attraction. An amazing building with very comfortable rooms and extensive communal areas,

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much Sarah. I'm glad to read this review, it's been a while now. I hope everything is ok for your family. It was a great event, and now you can come back just to be quiet in the Villa. We'are waiting for you.
Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

Ill keep my review short and simple, being very pragmatic:
- i like the location as its less than 10min drive to the Medina of Essaouira, and close enough to the golf and the airport.
- the view from the villa is just splendid as its a bit on the heights of the hill
- The villa itself, is not just a villa, its a palace on its own. So many living rooms where you can simply chill, reading a good book between 1 or 2 dives in the pool (oh yes there are 2 !)
- the rooms are very comfortable, pretty clean with all the things you might need
- the staff is very friendly, and i have to say that the cooking is top notch. I know the moroccan food can be a bit heavy, but they well cooked the lamb and made excellent salads. The place is so big anyway that you dont really get to see the staff, they are all very quiet, and respectful of the guests.
- Around the villa, we did a 3hr-trek qith quad, and it was absolutely awesome. Top security, different sort of terrains, splendid views, i recommend too. We also did some horse riding, but unfortunately didnt have enough time to enjoy any kite surfing lessons.

Essaouira is a jewel in Morocco. Love the weather, sunny during the day, a bit more windy at nights.
Gonatouki is certainly a place id recommend to stay for a couple for a long w/e or for a longer stay as well. We are thinking of bringing the whole family down since it can accomodae so many people.

A big thanks to Bruno and his team, wish you all the best.
Joffrey & Stephanie

Room Tip: * We had the royal suite, we loved our ensuite bathroom as well as our huge private terrace. Adds a...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your large review Jeoffrey and Stephanie. It's nice to speak about activities because there are so many things to do here. Ride a horse on the beach, ouah, sometimes I have a few tears, it's so beautiful! And quad is fantastic too. And golf, walk, bicycle, massage, surf, windsurf, kitesurf... Sure when you'll come with your family you'll have many things to do. if you want of course. We will be very happy to accommodate you again.
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

My wife and I loved everything about the Gonatouki villa. The design of the villa is astonishing. The view is breathtaking. There are 2 swimming pools in case one was not enough.
Location is very convenient as it is less than 10 minutes from the downtown of Essaouira.
We will definitely stay again in Gonatouki if we go back to Essaouira. It is actually a great venue if you travel with several friends.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Bruno E, Propriétaire at Villa Gonatouki, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Thank you very much for the "Great Villa!!!" We are so happy when guests love it. And one of the swimming pool (the one to swimm) should be heated in September. It will be interesting for the next winter.
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

This is a wonderful, wonderful place. It is a spectacular property with beautiful rooms and an amazing outlook. My wife and I stayed 3 nights in May and we hardly wanted to leave the house because it was so good. First, I must mention the customer service. Bruno is such a charming host and does everything he can to make sure you have a wonderful time. His team are very attentive and courteous. Whether you want to stay in for a beautiful meal or feel like a drink in the afternoon, nothing is too difficult. The rooms are spectacular. The bath in particular was one of the best we've ever had in a hotel. Finally, it is great value for money, including food & drinks. We cannot wait to come back! Thank you Bruno - we hope the wedding went well and we'll see you soon. Ben & Amy

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi Ben and Amy. You'll be always welcome! And I'm sure we'll come to see you if we go to Australia with Brigitte. Yes, the wedding was fantastic. And next year it will be my daughter!
I'm happy you appreciate this place and we love to share it with guests like you.

Been to Villa Gonatouki? Share your experiences!