“Had a great unexpected overnight stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Portaferry Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Portaferry
Portaferry Hotel
You added Portaferry Hotel to your Saves list
The Strand, Portaferry BT22 1PE, Northern Ireland   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Portaferry
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Had a great unexpected overnight stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2011 via mobile

We only went in for a drink and ended up staying for dinner and then stayed the night. Friendly staff, lovely 4 poster room, clean bathroom and really nicely decorated. A complete surprise. My girlfriend got the room key to check out the room, and it's the first time she insisted I go checked the room as it was so nice.

A few comments I have would be that the restaurant is a little dated and would have been nice to have table to sit outside or a beer garden (appreciate this may not be possible due to space).

Staff were very helpful and wner out of their way to help. We had to leave at 6:45 and they happily had breakfast laid out for us in the restaurant at 6:30 even thought a continental breakfast in room would have sufficed. Was good value too. Would be happy to go back and might also time it again to watch the crazy people swim across the lough.

Great little treasure!

• Stayed September 2010

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Strabane, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2011

Arrived 13th. Told before we went that there was no lift available for wheelchair users and advised that there were stairs but they were very small. Fortunately I am very light as they were fairly steep and it wasnt too much of a struggle for my husband and son. A stair lift could be incorporated into this hotel with little inconvienence for other patrons of the hotel. The room was very nice but the door was very narrow but as I have a childs wheelchair I got in OK but someone in an adults wheelchair would struggle. The high tea at night was very enjoyable and the freshly cooked breakfast in the morning was a treat.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
Newcastle, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2011

my husband and i had a 2 night midweek stay a very friendly and warm welcome. high standard of accommodation and excellent food, all staff were very accommodating. throughly enjoyed are stay, will recommend to our friends and we are definitely returning.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Dublin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2011

Having stayed in the Portaferry Hotel a few times before headed back for a dinner bed and breakfast stay on New Years Day. At 40 pounds per person sharing bed and breakfast it really is good value. Possiby because they were not busy we got room 11 at notadditional cost. This is a gem of a room, four poster bed, very comfortable, nice antique furniture, lovely view over the Lough and a modern bathroom, all spotlessly clean.
The hotel itself is simple, just a bar, small lounge and dining room but a feeling of warmth and comfort throughout, very important in the winter months. The free internet at reception is something not available in many 5 star hotels I have stayed in.
Dinner was good though maybe not as good as it has been in the past. Breakfast if you want an Irish breakfast is great. Not as good if you want something alternative. Like the fact that the tables are dressed in linen, and napkins also linen, again something many of the more expensive hotels don't have these days.
They could however do with better service in the bar and also as mentioned in previous reviews do better on the afternoon tea front. The info book in the bedroom says coffee, pastries and scones served in the lounge but were not available when I asked. Then I looked for a toasted sandwich and a manager had to be called to see if this was possible. A long wait for the sandwich as I was told they had run out of cheese and had to go to the shop!! As there was no where else open in Portaferry for coffee they really are missing a trick here. But overall a good, comfortable, non pretentious, individual hotel in a lovely location, reasonable prices. Such a shame Portaferry itself has got so run down over the years but the general area is beautiful with two national trust properties within easy distance.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2010

On a family visit in November I ate at the hotel twice. Food delicious but service could have been better, they were obviously understaffed. I called in for afternoon tea and was very disappointed that this was not available, I had to wait ages for my drink with only one very polite but overworked member of staff trying to cope with everyone single handed. What a missed opportunity, do the owners of the hotel not know what is happening in their establishment and are they not interested in the opportunity available. I received a better cup of coffee, very well presented, in the cafe down the road. Unfortunately it was closed in the afternoons. I had thought that I might like to stay in the hotel on my next visit but the overall impression is that those in charge are not interested in their guests.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
York, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2010

My wife and I stayed here for one night only but would have stayed longer if we had been free to do so.The drive along Strangford Lough at sunset is an experience not to be missed - the most beautiful setting i have seen in a long time.

Our rooms were comfortable and adequately sized, and had been well-serviced for us. We had dinner and breakfast in the dining room, and were able to relax in the evening in front of a roaring log fire in one of the lounges. All the food was of a high standard and the service was faultless in a relaxed sort of way. We would recommend this hotel without hesitation - and we were even pleasantly surprised at the reasonable price!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Rowayton, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2010

The Portaferry Hotel is a charmingly historic inn on Strangford Lough.. It was a surprise to find such beautiful accommodations in a town so far off the beaten track and in a place where the recession has obviously hit hard. The room was looked out over the Lough, and was appointed in antiques and attractive window treatments. The bathroom was new, white and sparkling clean. We arrived after driving from Dublin airport after traveling all night with little sleep, and welcomed the peace and quiet, delicious dinner and good night sleep. The service was a bit slow, but friendly. We'd definitely return if we have the good fortune to visit Ireland again.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Portaferry Hotel? Share your experiences!