“I wish I could give a 0 rating. Just awful.” 1 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #9 of 11 Restaurants in Glenridding
London
“I wish I could give a 0 rating. Just awful.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

So this is a country coffee shop and I wasn't expecting haute cuisine, but I was expecting a least a little bit of love and attention to go into the food and the service, both were evident in their absence. Now, I know this is The Lake District and it can be very busy at times, but my visit was midweek outside of school holidays on a dreary day. The carparks were pretty empty which is normally a good indicator of how busy food places are going to be.

I walked in and waited about 5 mins for someone to acknowledge me and was told they were very busy. There are about 20 tables in the coffee shop and 4 of them were taken up so it didn't appear busy but there was a sense of chaos in the air as no-one seemed to know what they were doing, never mind, press on. I asked for two sandwiches to take away and was told (in between the phone ringing) that there was only fish options left as they had run out of everything else. It was 1pm, bit early to be running out of things. When I explained that I didn't eat fish, I was then offered Chicken, Cheese or Ham. so I plumped for one of each on Brown bread. I was told this would taken ten minutes to make. Not sure how it takes 10 minutes to make a sandwich but there you have it. As I waited I watched other customers come in and go through similar chaotic ordering, one chap was charged for his sandwich before the server could confirm if there was enough food left to make it, he wasn't offered any sort of apology for the fact there was nothing for him to buy at lunchtime.
Anyway, 10 minutes past and someone came out of the kitchen to tell me that they had no brown bread and that the only brown bread they had was not of the right quality and could I have white. Because the "chef" had mentioned quality when talking about her bread, I was expecting something a little more artisanal than the thick blotting paper white bread that arrived. Goodness knows what the Brown bread in the kitchen was like if the quite bread was of the right quality. The sandwiches I was handed could not have been made with less love and attention if they had tried. They were slapped together, stodgy and doused on mayonnaise and butter, the ham was gristly and bright orange cheap as chips cheese. My OH and I attempted half a sandwich each but they were pretty inedible. The staff here don't care what they are handing out, the coffee shop is poorly managed if they run out of food so early in the day and customer service leaves a lot to be desired. There are other places in Glenridding, I would urge you to try them instead, I will be next time.

• Visited June 2014
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Keswick, United Kingdom
“If you want a hearty breakfast. Don't go to the coffee shop here!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

What a terrible breakfast. Worst in the land!
One slice of bacon, one overdone (not Cumberland) sausage, pathetic scrambled egg swimming in beans, served with dreadful sliced bread. Wash it down with cold coffee!