“could be excellent...” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Glenridding
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“could be excellent...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

I’ve thought long and hard about how to word/ write this review because it’s a bit of a difficult one.
First things first, it has to be said how beautiful the hotel/ surroundings are. It is the perfect place to have a hotel like this one and the views and location are breath taking.
Me and my partner didn’t actually stay here over the weekend, although my parents did.
The hotel is very expensive for a 3* hotel (I think it’s a 3*, AA sign outside says 4?) but I guess if people are willing to pay you would be silly to lower the rates.
Upon arrival my parents were given the key to their room (all of us have stayed here over the past years, although not for some time) and the rooms are lovely.
Warm, cosy, pretty, bathrooms are great. (we still visited their room)
So nothing wrong there. But then a few things left us all a bit peeved to be honest.
They booked a deal through secret escapes, 2 nights’ accommodation, a three course meal on each evening and an afternoon tea voucher for around £300 (good value)
We too decided to join them for dinner on both evenings, so ate their on Saturday with them. We were disappointed to learn that they could only eat off the table d’hote menu as part of their deal (it wasn’t previously stated anywhere that this was the case) and were informed that if they wanted to eat off the a la carte, it would be an extra £10 per head. That’s all good and well, but the difference between menu prices was only £5 per head? A la carte was £37.00 for 3 course, table d’hote £32… so why not just charge the extra £5 difference? When we asked the waitress, she simply said ‘that’s the rate’ and it wasn’t explained to us. Food was lovely, I had the smoked haddock to start but it was far too small (and I’m not a big person!) 3 mouthfuls and it was gone, serve more it was delicious! Had the beef for main and we all found it odd how we weren’t asked how we’d like it cooking.
It came out very well done and we were all disappointed (I thought well done was every chef’s nightmare!) and having worked in a rosette awarded kitchen before, I didn’t really find it acceptable. When I asked the waiter why it hadn’t come out pink (it states on the menu all meat is cooked pink unless stated otherwise which is wasn’t) he said ‘that’s just how the chef likes to cook it sometimes, it looks like you’ve all enjoyed your meals so let’s just leave it at that.’ again, no valid explanation. For pud, I asked him what the chocolate pyramid was. He replied ‘what it says on the menu.’ Well yes, I know that I can read thankfully, I wanted to know what was in it! Basically he didn’t know, so got another waiter to come and tell me. He said ‘it’s filled with chocolate mousse.’ Great, I love chocolate mousse! However, it was actually filled with a praline centre, I hate praline so was very disheartened and thankful that I didn’t have a nut allergy as my mum does, and no one had informed us even when I asked! Saturday a bread basket was brought to our table and left there, Sunday a waitress came around with some tongs and just gave us one piece each. Food is lovely but I can’t help the chef can maybe be a bit lazy sometimes. The following day, I had a ‘tuna baguette with herb mayo.’ It came out with no herb mayo, just tuna and when I went inside to ask the waitress why, they were so preoccupied with a wedding party in the bar area that I couldn’t even get to the bar so I gave up! squirty cream came with the afternoon tea which was also disappointing, I just feel like if the chef really made everything perfect it would be faultless. My parents were left feeling slightly like second class citizens because of the deal (which they shouldn’t have done, because we spent an extra £400 between us over the 2 days as well) it certainly wouldn’t stop us returning because it’s a great hotel, if the food issues we experienced corrected themselves it would really be flawless. I note that Gary, the general manager always says ‘you never mentioned a problem whilst you were here.’ But unfortunately Gary, we mentioned every single one to different members of staff and unfortunately we were never given a valid or reasonable explanation. I would like to reiterate that this is a great, beautiful place, I just wish that the minor issues that we did experience were sorted out.

Room Tip: lake views are lovely
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
manageriotl, General Manager at Inn on the Lake, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
Thank you for your review and 4 star rating on trip advisor. I trust your parents enjoyed their stay with us and we hope to welcome you all to the hotel in the future.

With regards to the minor issues that you experienced and would like us clarify – I apologise for any mix up with regards to explaining of the dishes, your comments have been duly noted and I have spoken to the head chef and restaurant manager with regards to these matter.

The menu prices are set that way so you can enjoy a 3 course menu or upgrade for an extra £10.00 per person for the full a la carte menu of 5 courses plus coffee with homemade fudge, once again I apologise if this was not explained properly to your party.

Once again thank you for your kind rating.
Kind regards
Gary Wilson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (359)
Gloucestershire, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

You will not be disappointed ... just the most beautiful lake view hotel ... we will return. Great food, staff a pleasure ... exceeded our expectations. Pay a little more and stay in the four poster room.

Room Tip: Leaving the hotel turn left and drive to Windermere up the Kirkstone pass - just a beautiful drive.
Swindon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

We visited this hotel for our Silver Wedding Anniversary a few years ago. If you are looking for luxury, professional service, excellent food, and a brilliant location please consider this hotel. Yes it is a little more expensive but you will be treated like royalty and you will remember the experience for years to come. I would love to go back and would definitely recommend this to you if you have a special occasion coming up.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a good view of the lake.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

We stayed at the Inn on the Lake for 2 nights in August 2012. This is definitely one of the better hotels that we have stopped in the UK. Location is right on Lake Ullswater and the building in general is excellent. It has the added advantage of a pub attached to the building, very useful when it is raining (ie most of the time in the Lake District!). Room was very nice with a view of the lake, hotel lounge and bar were enormous. We spent more time at the hotel that we would normally do simply because it is so nice.

Room Tip: Pay a little more for a lake view - worth it
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Nottingham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012 via mobile

Will echo all that is said about this place. It simply is excellent in every way. The views are wonderful and the dinner and service in the restaurant cannot be faulted. I will however say that the reception staff could learn a thing of two from the staff at the restaurant. They could be warmer and we felt somewhat rushed. They did however answer all the questions and complied with all requests.

• Stayed September 2012
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

stayed at the inn on the lake for a short break when we arrived pleasantly surprised with the hotel, decor lovely, spotless clean. The views were stunning even though we did not have a room overlooking the lake. The staff were very warm and friendly nothing too much trouble for them, food was lovely very well presented and the breakfast lasted me all day verry filling and plenty of it. One thing i would comment on there is nothing going on in the hotel to entertain the guests i did suggest this to the manager who was verry willing to listen to suggestions well done inn on the lake will definitely visit again.

luton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

We have been to the lakes many times before but this was our best ever.The staff make this hotel they are so friendly and helpful.Nothing was too much trouble.The hotel is beautifully maintained as are the extensive grounds which are a picture with the lake and the fells as a backdrop.I would certainly recommend a lake view room as it is brilliant to wake in the morning and admire the views.It was nice to see the hotel bar had two real ales on from a local brewery.The bar,lounge and restaurant all have views of the lake and fells.With regard to the restaurant I would have been happier with plainer food at dinner but that is a personal choice.Breakfast has an extensive menu to choose from.

Room Tip: Try to get a lake view room
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Inn on the Lake? Share your experiences!