“Not happy with the owners” 1 of 5 stars

Fairlight Guest House
3.0 of 5 Guest house   |   Glenridding CA11 0PD, England   |
Ranked #6 of 6 Glenridding B&B and Inns
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Not happy with the owners”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

Hands down, I had the worst experience at the guest house while travelling from London to Scotland. We were given a room with a double and a single bed. We never requested the single bed, as it was not required, but nevertheless we made sure that we do not use the single bed at all and just put some bags on it without thinking. Afterwards, they charged at additional 20 pounds for using the single bed. Despite our protests that we did not even use that bed, because we didn't need to the land lady reacted extremely rudely and would not listen to us at all.

In the end 20 pounds are not a big deal, but the owners should realize that you should treat your customers with some respect rather than rudeness. I am extremely disappointed with the guest house, which is a shame because The Lake District is one of the most beautiful places in the world and deserves better guest houses than this one.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Hereford
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

Just returned from a weekend in Glenridding. We stayed at the Fairlight Guest house. We were made very welcome by the couple who ran the guest house, had a wonderful (huge) breakfast which certainly fuelled our climb up Helvellyn! The rooms are clean and comfortable and owners were extremely helpful in recommending places to eat in the area and other places to visit. A perfect base for anyone visiting Ullswater, ran by a very friendly welcoming host.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

My partner and I booked a two-night stay over the weekend to attend a friend's wedding at the neighbouring Inn on the Lake. The owner agreed to wait up for our late arrival (at around 9) without any fuss at all, and showed us to our well-appointed room consisting of a very comfortable, plush bed, extremely clean bathroom, a incredibly powerful shower, and - always a plus - a working heated towel rail.

The breakfast selection was varied and tasty, with a bowl of fresh fruit to be helped from. The couple running the establishment were generally helpful and friendly, and lent my fiancée a sewing kit when she needed to sew something up.

When we were checking out, one of our mates who was also staying at Fairlight decided to cut his stay short by one night due to unforeseen circumstances. The couple very graciously allowed him to curtail his stay without any charge whatsoever - we felt that was a very generous touch.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Leeds, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

After running the Ian Hodgeson Relays we decided to stay in Patterdale at Sykside Campsite and have a leisurely walk up the fells before heading home. We set off early just after 9.00am as we wanted to have a light breakfast before our walk. We spotted Fairlight Guesthouse, perfect location for a bacon butty! Well not quite...........

First of all they asked us to come back in 10 minutes. OK fair enough maybe they weren't opening until 9.30am and the owner was kind enough to offer us a parking space so we hung around. When we were finally allowed in I ordered a black coffee and he asked if I wanted milk with that. (hmmm maybe he's just joking). Then we ordered a Bacon Sausage and Tomato Sandwich for my boyfriend and a Egg and Mushroom for myself. We were told these would be the ... I quote " best sandwiches you've ever tasted, people come from miles around". Poor sales technique, the pressure was on and so far the lady of the house had not even said hello to her customers.

When the butties arrived far from being the best we'd ever tasted my Egg and Mushroom was actually Double Egg and Tomato, ok it was cooked fine but nothing much above average and a bit salty. I thought about sending it back and asking for mushrooms but we needed to get on the fells so I didn't really have time. The lady who had left her husband to entertain us so far obviously noticed me poke the egg searching for mushrooms as she ask " do you want something in an abrupt manor" No its fine if I could just have some brown sauce please? (There were no condiments on the table). 2 minutes later she returned and flung these two small 5p size sachets at me. I had expected a sauce bottle as its a hotel.

The coffee was ok but small and my boyfriends sandwich was an average Bacon, Sausage and Tomato. Hardly the best ever

Now for the shock!.. £12.20..... We were charged £2.10 per coffee, if you could see the size of the cups Costa is cheaper and nicer. £3.75 for a Bacon & Sausage Butty and £3.75 for a Bacon & Egg Butty. So my Egg and Mushroom had morphed from mushrooms to tomatos to bacon. The final straw when I later checked the bill had to be the 50p charge for brown sauce. If I'd realised I'd paid for it I would not of left the unopened sachet behind.

The only plus side were let off with 90p they needed change......... Not then best I'd ever tasted and people weren't exactly queuing round the corner, just an average sarnie with a catalogue of mistakes.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Glenridding hotels

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

DO NOT STAY AT THIS GUESTHOUSE. The owner is very rude and we have had to pay for a room that we did not stay in or have breakfast. We were up for a wedding and my friends son was very poorly that morning at was taken to hospital. We still decided to travel to see our friend get married at "The Inn on the Lake" which is a beautiful and "FRIENDLY" hotel and only just made it in time for the wedding so did not have time to book in. After the reception we decided to book in at fairlights but before we even left "The Inn on the Lake" a very very RUDE man came up to us to leave us the key. We explained that we did not have time to book in as we had a family emergency and he was just very rude and said he had a family emergency. My friend rang home to see how her son was and found out that her daughter had now also became poorly so we decided to head home. There was nobody around at the guesthouse so we just had to post the key back through the letterbox. My friend rang the next day to explain and once again the man became very aggressive and RUDE and we were told we still had to pay full price even though we had not slept there or eaten there. DO NOT STAY AT THIS GUESTHOUSE. RUDE RUDE RUDE RUDE!!!!.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Milan, Italy
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

I had e-mailed the guesthouse in advance to book 2 rooms, one with a cot, and had confirmed my reservation on the phone. When we arrived we were told, in very unpleasant terms, that not only was there no cot available but that babies were not allowed. When I went to the reception the following morning to talk to the manager about this matter she became very defiant and rude.

I understand that not all guesthouses cater for families but this should have been made clear from the start so we could find alternative accommodation in advance. The situation was handled very badly. Looking back on the exchange of e-mails I had stated quite clearly that a baby would be with us and they failed to inform us on their supposed family policy.

In an effort to be reasonable I can say that the rooms were decent with a nice shower and the breakfast was alright.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2012 via mobile

At best this b&b is mediocre. The room was clean but very small and basic. The owner didn't seem particularly impressed to have people there in his home. Our welcome from him made me want to stay somewhere else!! The breakfast was ok on our first morning but in edible on the second. One of the rooms our friends were in was lovely with loads of space and a nice en suite. Another had the prison cell with no proper window. She would not have booked this room if she had known beforehand! I would not stay here again and I certainly would not recommend it! A shame really as the location is amazing!!!

• Stayed April 2012

Been to Fairlight Guest House? Share your experiences!