“A wonderful stay but there are little issues that should be addressed” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Monart

and 1 more site!
You added Monart to your Saves list
Monart
The Still, Enniscorthy, Ireland   |
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Enniscorthy
London, United Kingdom
“A wonderful stay but there are little issues that should be addressed”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

I stayed with my Mum and sister for a few days for a birthday celebration. It is a wonderful place but there are a few niggles. There is a lack of general maintenance and some housekeeping issues. Our treatments were incorrect although that was rectified immediately. I was also very disappointed with the resident Shaolin Monks after attending a meditation class, which literally entailed sitting on a cold floor in a cold studio listening to a repetitive chant from the CD player. They seemed happy though as every time we entered the restaurant or coffee shop they were in there eating and using their phones in the wifi area (which sadly there is only one of - I do think you should have the option of wifi in the bedrooms - up to you if you use it!). Nice job if you can get it! We thoroughly enjoyed out dining experience there, the food is lovely and very well presented. The waiting staff were very attentive and informative generally. My Mum is gluten free and she constantly had to wait for her gluten free bread to arrive - it was apparently cooked to order which I don't actually believe and it was poor quality comparing it to the great variety on the market now. I noticed quite a lot of dirt in the corners of the main ladies' toilets in the corridor which wasn't new dirt, but looked like it had been there quite a while.... attention to little details like that let Monart down. The tap in our bathroom was loose, the bathwater was brown which we found out when I ran the water in the bath to see if it woudl cure the bad drain smell that seemed to be coming from it. I notice another reviewer commented on the brown water also. The bedside lamp shades were torn on the inside lining which was quite evident when the light was one. One last gripe is that it woudln't take a lot to have a tea/coffee tray in the room either. I appreciate it's probably to get you to spend more money in the coffee shop but the prices they charge for overnight stays it's not a lot to ask. I would go again and do recommend it generally but have been to better residential spas. The treatments are adequate and I didn't like that I had to fill in a receipt after the treatment with a big gap on it for "Gratuity" - it's embarrassing to feel guilted into leaving a tip for your therapist. The treatments are overpriced compared to other spas that I hvae been to.

Room Tip: Room 44, the best view of the garden.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Patrick K, Manager at Monart, responded to this review, October 20, 2013
Dear Dibbsa,

Thank you indeed for your review of your stay with us recently here at Monart. I am delighted that in the main you enjoyed your stay with us.

In relation to your Shaolin mediation whilst with us, this, like all of the classes provided by our Resident Shaolin is offered complimentary to our guests. It is a Buddhist, non-guided mediation, and repetitive chanting is a core element. Please note that your comments of temperature have been noted and in these wintery mornings has been increased.

I am sure you can appreciate, that we are very honoured to have the Shaolin with us and are glad that they like others, take full advantage of their personal down-time.

We strive here at Monart to meet all of the dietary requirements of our guests
Please be assured that our Gluten Free bread, for which we are so often complimented, is in fact Baked to order. I am also glad to learn from your direct conversations with my colleagues, your Mum was quite satisfied with the quality of our Gluten Free Bread.

Water from Monart is drawn from our own private mineral wells and organic matter may enter the supply, however this of course is perfectly safe. Emergency maintenance on the water line over the weekend may indeed of resulted in the discolouration of the water. This unfortunately was an unexpected result.

Gratuities here at Monart are an absolute discretion of our valued guests. The insertion of the 'gratuity' line on our receipts, is a result of many requests to do so from our guests. That said it is entirely discretionary.

We are committed to providing the very best in customer service and care; it is with this focus on excellence that we have consistently been recognised as not just 5 star, but a world leading 5 star destination SPA.

We very much hope that we will in fact have the pleasure of welcoming you to Monart again.
Monart Destination Spa ‘The Great Escape’
Monart is an Adults Only Destination, to unwind, escape the stresses of modern life, relax and return to one’s true nature. Voted in the top three Destinations Worldwide by Condé Nast Reader’s Choice Awards. Tatler Destination Spa of the Year 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
  • Polish first
Dublin, Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

I have never felt compelled to write a review of a hotel until we spent a night in Monart at €310 a night bed and breakfast. Every hotel must be considered in light of its cost and the standard it holds itself out to have. Primarily, I could not wait for a bath (which looked lovely and big) particularly in circumstances where there was no Jacuzzi and the hydrotherapy pool was extremely disappointing (it is a luke warm small pool with minimal bubbles and no comparison to pools in much better value spas around the country). When I went to run my bath a disgusting orange substance which I would not expect in a one star hotel came out. I tried to run it clear but after approx. 10 seconds there was nothing but ice cold water left. Around the same time (7am) I had to leave the room as there was insufficient drinking water. I asked for more water at reception and told the man about the bath issues and yet nothing was done before we left. Separately, on the Saturday when being shown around the spa we were told that everybody got a free foot massage. I was delighted with this as I had been too late to book a treatment (warning I accept that this was my fault as they advise booking early, but even 3 weeks before when I tried it was booked out so seriously, book early!!). On the Saturday there was a queue for this so I decided that, rather than wait, I would come down early the next morning before the crowd to avail of this. Only when I came down the next morning they told me it did not apply until 11am, which they did not say the day before, and which would have influenced my willingness to wait on the Saturday. I told the woman at the spa reception about my disappointment that this had not been communicated the day before. The brochure advices you to attend breakfast early so as to avoid a queue. In obedience we set our alarm and got down to the restaurant early only to find ourselves left standing with no service (and no queue) waiting to be seated. We could see through to so many free tables in the restaurant and yet there was nobody to seat us. In any hotel we have been in of similar cost the staff were always present and fell all over themselves to ensure we were made comfortable. Here, when a woman eventually came along she told us in an unfriendly voice to 'wait a minute please' before preoccupying herself with the computer before seating us. Finally, we were snoozing in our room (which was lovely) for our last couple of hours when at 11.20 our doorbell rang. Checkout is not until 12 so we got ourselves up and robed wondering what it was only to find out it was housekeeping seeing if we had checked out yet...(1) check out is not until 12 (2) they should be able to tell from reception whether we have checked out or not and (3) it completely interrupted our last hour of our expensive stay. Monart is a lovely place but charges an extremely expensive premium on privacy and lack of children. I have found better facilities and service in many other spas around the country and would recommend you really consider what is the best bang for your buck. Even when there I communicated disappointments (the bath and the foot massage) rather than be a crank about them later and yet they made no efforts to rectify either when they had the opportunity to do so. Whilst there are lovely aspects about Monart (the privacy, comfy rooms and nice grounds) I felt that it had such a reputation that it has full confidence it will keep getting custom and so has no concerns about actually ensuring that its customers have a nice stay.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Patrick K, Manager at Monart, responded to this review, October 20, 2013
Dear Mary K,

thank you indeed for your review of your time with us here at Monart.
While we are glad that there were aspects of your stay here that you did enjoy, I am very disappointed and saddened to read your comments of dissatisfaction in our offerings. This is sadly not indicative of the vast majority of feedback we receive.

Water from Monart is drawn from our own private mineral wells and organic matter may from time to time enter the supply, however I can assure you that this is perfectly safe.

Emergency maintenance on the water line over the weekend may indeed of resulted in the discolouration of the water and interrupted the supply of hot water in this case. Unfortunately this was a result that we did not foresee.

Without rehashing all of the points you raise, please be assured that they have the immediate attention of our Entire Team.

Should you wish to speak with me directly on these matters, I would be most delighted. Please ask for Patrick.

Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

I have recently returned from a 2 night stay in Monart, this was my 2nd visit (previous in 2012).

I had booked a 2 night package that included treatments and Dinner.
We chose to have the Dinner on the second night.

On our first night we ate in the Garden lounge - this was my first time eating here and was very enjoyable, the menu was great and staff and service really efficient.

Unfortunately, dinner the second tonight was very below par. dinner started at half 7, and we weren't finished until 10:10pm. Menu wise - I felt the starter’s options were quite poor. Main course was just about ok. Then came the most annoying part of the night. We ordered dessert (at about 9:10) - 1 chocolate fondant and 1 lemon tart, about 5 minutes later the couple behind us ordered dessert (which I subsequently found out was the same order), they received their dessert before us. By about half 9, I was looking around and wondering what had happened. At this point I saw the waiter talking to the floor manager - he came over and said the chef did something wrong in the kitchen and it would be with us in next 5 minutes, 15 minutes later and still no dessert - again another apology. eventually at 10 o'clock the dessert arrives delivered by the manager (not the waiter), and he says "I hope it was worth the wait", now while it was really nice, it took over 45 minutes from order to the time it was in front of us. We were then given the bill - and despite the long wait, nothing was reduced from the bill which in our opinion was poor form.

Another issue I had (compared with 2012), was the overall service - My glass of water was left empty for a period of time until the waiter came round. In 2012 it was topped up at least 3 times.

I will go back to Monart as it was really good, however I would not pick the package that included the dinner, and instead just pay for the garden lounge myself.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear DonalT86,

Many thanks indeed for your review of your recent stay with us here at Monart. I am delighted that in the main you enjoyed your time here, I am however disappointed to read of your dissatisfaction at Dinner, this is sadly not indicative of the vast majority of feedback we receive.

May I apologise on behave of us all, this is not an experience we would wish for any of our guests.

Please be assured that your comments have my immediate attention, we pride our selves on our offerings and without our clients' valued feedback we would not have the opportunity to continually review and improve upon what we do.

I very much hope that we will in fact have the pleasure of welcoming you to Monart again in the future.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013 via mobile

Once again the Management and Staff have outdone themselves in providing both My sister and myself with another 24 hours of pure bliss. From the moment we arrived at lunchtime on Wednesday until we departed Thursday evening we were treated to the ultimate experience. Thank you for our champagne on arrival and of course for the time and effort you took to interact with us despite your busy schedule. I cannot recommend this destination highly enough. It is a little piece of heaven on earth.

• Stayed October 2013
Dear Couturedays,

Thank you for your review of your recent overnight stay with us here at Monart.

We are delighted that you enjoyed your time here and very much hope that we have the pleasure of your company again soon.
Wexford, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

Everything about Monart is about relaxation, you feel like you are a millions miles from anywhere. All the staff are so friendly and helpful and the spa is really lovely. I had a great massage from Leanne I would highly recommend her.

The food in both the restuarant and bar are very good and breakfast is really outstanding and great you can go done and have it wearing your robe and then straight off to the spa again!

Rooms are spacious with a gorgeous bathroom and the beds are super comfy.

It is total bliss and I cannot wait to go back again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear Hubble,

Many thanks indeed for your review of your time with us here at Monart. We are delighted that you enjoyed your great escape and very much look forward to welcoming you again soon.
Tramore, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

We spent a few nights here recently. Lovely spacious rooms, comfortable beds disappointing no tea making facilities. The spa is lovely and this is where we spent all our time. Disappointed though with manicure as polish came off the day after I had manicure. Some great relaxation rooms and no shortage of clean fluffy towels. Gym is great and found I had it to myself each time. Aqua aerobic instructor is excellent! We were disappointed with dinner in restaurant and found bar food more interesting. Breakfast was very good and chilled water and fruit in spa is a very nice touch.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Patrick K, Manager at Monart, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
Dear DeiseCailin,

Many thanks for review of your time with us here at Monart.

We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay in the main and please be assure your comments in relation to dinner and your maincure have our immediate attention.

We very much hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you again in the future.
Dublin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

I cannot rate Monart high enough. From the moment you drive up to the front door to the moment you drive out of the gates upon departure you step into a place where all your cares and stresses leave you!!! The rooms are spotless, huge and extremely comfortable. We went to breakfast every morning in our robes and didn't feel out of place at all. This really is a robed environment. We ate in the bar one evening (fish and chips are highly recommended) followed by numerous delicious cocktails and ate in the restaurant the second evening. The food was incredible and followed by a walk around the grounds topped off the evening perfectly.

If you are looking for a romantic getaway, a mother/daughter bonding trip or a girly trip away this really is the place that suits everyone.

Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Patrick K, Manager at Monart, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
Dear JeanO'Brien2103,

Many thanks indeed for your review of your time with us here at Monart recently. We are delighted that you enjoyed your time with us, and very much hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you again in the future.
Monart Destination Spa ‘The Great Escape’

Been to Monart? Share your experiences!