We have just returned from our stay at the Kalypso Cretan VIllage,Crete. The Holiday was booked on an all inclusive deal for 2 adults and 2 children.
The Hotel is in an isolated spot, located in the most dramatic scenery, totally peaceful. amazing rocks, and surrounded by the sea. Car hire is to be recommended. The hotel offers a bus service, to a nearby beach, Damnoni, good for watersports, and to the town of Plakias, nice beach, plenty of restaurants, some shops, horse riding etc, the cost of the bus is 3 euro return, and there is no charge for children under 12, but if you are going into town you could also use a taxi for approx 5 euro, then you can go when you want to. If you are thinking about going out for a day, a drive to Knossos, is 120km, each way, approx 2hrs, each way by car ,Rethimnon is about 40 minutes, each way.
It is windy in this part of the Island, but with the heat in July, this just made it easy to sit out and enjoy the day. The breeze was refreshing
The rooms were more than adequate for our 2 week stay, 1 room sleeping 4 persons. Our room had a bath with shower, a fridge, storage, and air condtioning, ( at no additional cost). The rooms were serviced daily, with regular changes of linen and towels. We had a terrace looking onto the sea.
All meals were served in the main restaurant, breakfast 0730-1000, lunch 1230-1430, and dinner, 1900-2130, the meals are a self service buffet. The food is good, but can become repetitive. The staff are friendly. You can have beer, wine or soft drinks with lunch and dinner, brought to your table. There is seating in the air conditioned restaurant, or on the terrace looking over the pool, and the sea.
The pool bar also offers snacks during the day, although I never used this service.
There are 3 bars, a pool bar from 1000-1800, during my stay, (peak season) the pool bar also opened on an evening 2100 - midnight offering a relaxing ambienance
, The main bar situated next to reception, and the lounge from 1800 - 0200, and a disco bar, was open a couple of times during my stay, from 2300hrs until late.
The entertainment at the hotel, is organised by 2 lovely girls, Anita, and Anna. Known as the Animation Team.
They organise events throughout the day, from 0900 - midnight. Activities include, table tennis, volleyball, football, tennis, pool activities, games, greek lessons, music quiz, kareoke, plus much more. The entertainment is for all ages, from the very young to the more mature. My teenagers participated in most of the events, and their advice is, it can be loads of fun, but you have to get involved!!
In addition to the pool, the hotel is located on a fiord, this is the most amazing place, swim in the sea, sun bathe on the rocks, take a snorkle, the fish and sea life are amazing. Jump from the rocks, with care, and you can take part in a scuba dive, this is an extra cost made payable to the Dive Centre, which is separate to the Hotel. This area is so beautiful, and if you believe the greek Myths, perhaps this is where Kalypso met her lover!
The staff were very friendly. We met lots of great people during our stay.
This hotel offered us a value for money holiday, set in a beautiful location, great weather, nice people, and 2 contented teenagers, who could ask for more. A great visit
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Kalypso Cretan Village is situated at Plakias, 31 kms south of Rethymnon and 115 kms of Heraklion Airport. The Hotel is located in the grandiose environment of a small isolated gulf. It lies in 50.000 sq meters full of gardens and hanging rocks and has been created with respect to nature beauty and keeping the traditional Cretan style. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Priceline, Booking.com, Despegar.com, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Kalypso Cretan Village reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Kalypso Cretan Village Hotel Plakias
- Kalypso Cretan Village Plakias, Crete, Greece