“A Fabulous Holiday” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 25 Hotels in Plakias
kalypso
“A Fabulous Holiday”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2007

We have just returned from our stay at the Kalypso Cretan VIllage,Crete. The Holiday was booked on an all inclusive deal for 2 adults and 2 children.
The Hotel is in an isolated spot, located in the most dramatic scenery, totally peaceful. amazing rocks, and surrounded by the sea. Car hire is to be recommended. The hotel offers a bus service, to a nearby beach, Damnoni, good for watersports, and to the town of Plakias, nice beach, plenty of restaurants, some shops, horse riding etc, the cost of the bus is 3 euro return, and there is no charge for children under 12, but if you are going into town you could also use a taxi for approx 5 euro, then you can go when you want to. If you are thinking about going out for a day, a drive to Knossos, is 120km, each way, approx 2hrs, each way by car ,Rethimnon is about 40 minutes, each way.
It is windy in this part of the Island, but with the heat in July, this just made it easy to sit out and enjoy the day. The breeze was refreshing
The rooms were more than adequate for our 2 week stay, 1 room sleeping 4 persons. Our room had a bath with shower, a fridge, storage, and air condtioning, ( at no additional cost). The rooms were serviced daily, with regular changes of linen and towels. We had a terrace looking onto the sea.
All meals were served in the main restaurant, breakfast 0730-1000, lunch 1230-1430, and dinner, 1900-2130, the meals are a self service buffet. The food is good, but can become repetitive. The staff are friendly. You can have beer, wine or soft drinks with lunch and dinner, brought to your table. There is seating in the air conditioned restaurant, or on the terrace looking over the pool, and the sea.
The pool bar also offers snacks during the day, although I never used this service.
There are 3 bars, a pool bar from 1000-1800, during my stay, (peak season) the pool bar also opened on an evening 2100 - midnight offering a relaxing ambienance
, The main bar situated next to reception, and the lounge from 1800 - 0200, and a disco bar, was open a couple of times during my stay, from 2300hrs until late.
The entertainment at the hotel, is organised by 2 lovely girls, Anita, and Anna. Known as the Animation Team.
They organise events throughout the day, from 0900 - midnight. Activities include, table tennis, volleyball, football, tennis, pool activities, games, greek lessons, music quiz, kareoke, plus much more. The entertainment is for all ages, from the very young to the more mature. My teenagers participated in most of the events, and their advice is, it can be loads of fun, but you have to get involved!!
In addition to the pool, the hotel is located on a fiord, this is the most amazing place, swim in the sea, sun bathe on the rocks, take a snorkle, the fish and sea life are amazing. Jump from the rocks, with care, and you can take part in a scuba dive, this is an extra cost made payable to the Dive Centre, which is separate to the Hotel. This area is so beautiful, and if you believe the greek Myths, perhaps this is where Kalypso met her lover!
The staff were very friendly. We met lots of great people during our stay.
This hotel offered us a value for money holiday, set in a beautiful location, great weather, nice people, and 2 contented teenagers, who could ask for more. A great visit

• Liked — scenery, snorkling, animation team
  • Disliked — after 2 weeks the food was repetative
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Manchester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2007

My partner and I arrived at the hotel in the early hours of the morning to a lovely welcome by the staff at the front desk. We were immediately directed to our rooms and were pleasantly surprised by the spacious and well-equipped accommodation.

Our room had remote controlled air-conditioning, satellite television, a fridge and phone. All of which made for a really comfortable stay.

We found the surroundings tranquil, relaxing and fantastic for nature lovers. My boyfriend took his PADI open water diving certificate during our stay with one-on-one tuition and he really enjoyed the open sea diving as their is such a rich array of marine life (lobsters, octopus and many exotic looking fishes!) We took the package which inludes car hire, I would really recommend this as you then have some freedom to travel to around Crete on daytrips. The food in the restaurant was traditional Greek, we really enjoyed it, there was something for everyone, buffet style. Meat, fish, cooked freshly for you on a BBQ.

There is a small disco and some nightly entertainers but if you are expecting some sort of clubbers paradise you will be sorely disappointed. I would recommend this hotel for people looking to escape from reality for a while and who want peace and relaxation.

• Liked — Relaxing
  • Disliked — The drive from the airport
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
bedfordshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2007

I have just returned from the Kalypso kretan village and it was fantastic for me it was like paradise a haven of traquility and beauty. from the moment of arrival we arrived at 2315 but was greeted by the reception in a very profetional way and was offered a snack and a drink i found all starff and managment very pleseant and we sat till almost 1am before we went to our villa after taking and drinking which was a very plesant and clean villa set in beatiful gardens and the veiw from the balcony was breathtaking overlooking the sea.

The food i thought was excelent and all the starff plesant some of which i now call my freinds the managment were very nice and take a real pride in the upkeep of the place the rooms were cleaned daily and again all nice freindly.

There was also plenty for children and adults the facilities were there such as tennis, basket ball, pool,table tennis,swiming, vollyball and lovely walks and the sea was just a stones thow from the complex offering more sunlongers and for around 12 euros i would recomend buying some snorkles and goggles fantastic experience snorkling and you can see some lovely fish just in the village cove.

The evenings are quite quite but if you have the right company just sitting talking sharing a drink or two overlooking the sea is lovely.

I have two teenages and we all had a fantastic time and i would recommend it to anybody except proberly someone with walking difficulties as has lots of steps and hills.

I would go back there again definatly was a fab holiday for all of us but i do think its what you make it.

• Liked — The veiws were breathtaking
  • Disliked — no tea/cofee facilities
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Co Down
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2007

I regularly visit Crete and usually book my own accomodation and move around to different places. In May I booked for 3 days in Kalypso and extended my stay to 6 days as it was so pleasant.
I knew the location, as I had checked it out last September and I had a hire car. Since it was the first week of the season I had expected things to be quiet and getting started.

The welcome by reception staff and management was warm; the room was spotless and had recently been upgraded with new windows and doors; the balcony was large with a wonderful view of the sea and part of the pool.

My room was well cleaned each day, towels and bed linen changed. I was so relaxed I didnt even try to watch TV.

Having selected the hotel it was lovely to have the sea water pool, and then at times to go to some of the excellent local beaches within 5 kilometres from the Hotel. Plakias is traditionally rather windy but the Kalypso site iseems to be more sheltered and that helps! My weather was around 25 -27C which is just what i like.

I did not try the scuba diving!

I did however try most of the menus on offer. Being on a half Board arrangement was ideal and the choice of menu improved during the 6 days I stayed. There was a good choice, and I enjoyed each meal. I did miss the smell of food cooking on the grill which you might get in a taverna but never felt I wanted or needed to go out in the evening as the choice and quality was good. Typical of Greece ,the food was sometimes not kept as hot as we would in United Kingdom.

I met interesting people form Germany, Holland, UK, and Greece of course. The staff were helpful and friendly.It was apparent that more rooms were being put through their final preparations for more guests coming.

I only saw the hotel leaflet when there and the website since returning and recognised that all the facilities were not opened /commissioned the week I was there. It did not bother me; I can try them next time!

But at a daily HALF BOARD rate of around 40 euros a day I think it was great value. My stay wasmost relaxing, very comfortable and friendly. I'll be back and have already told friends of the good experience we had fron 11th to 18th MAY 2007 in Kalypso.

• Liked — the setting and the standard
  • Disliked — I had to return after 6 days
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Milton Keynes
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2007

We stayed here from May 18th - 26th 2007. The hotel is shocking! Facilities are appalling, rooms dirty, food not cooked (1/2 the hotel had food poisoning) site unsafe.

Apparently it was recently sold by a French man to a Greek man and he is doing it up as he goes along.

It had been open 1 week when we stayed here and there was mess and rubbish everywhere.

Our room was painted the morning we checked into it and it stank. A nasty cross between paint and mould.

It is miles from anyone or anything. The local village (which is described as charming) is 15 mins away but is it naff and not worth the 6 euros bus trip.

Do not stay here.

The attached photos should explain how bad it is!

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Dirty
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Kalypso Cretan Village? Share your experiences!