“Really good small village restaurant, proud of their food” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Fanjeaux
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Deepest Surrey
“Really good small village restaurant, proud of their food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

The owner of a chamber d'hôte in Bram booked us into this restaurant for dinner. I'm not sure we would have walked in as it is unprepossessing on the outside, but we enjoyed our meal very much. The whole restaurant is very simple with tiled floors and simple wooden chairs and tables, and the food is also very simply presented, but it is excellent.

We began with a salad of warm goats' cheeses with nuts and honey and a foie gras with figue conserve and hypocras. Chef appeared with our food and explained which local farm the goats' cheeses came from and (proudly) how the foie gras was all prepared in house. Both dishes were absolutely delicious. Our main courses were a tournedos Rossini and cassoulet. The steak for the Tournedos was rump rather than fillet, and not the tenderest, but the taste was excellent. The cassoulet was superb and madame took trouble again to explain the provenance of each component. I loved the way the duck cuisse stuck up above the unctuous beans and became glazed and crunchy. Gorgeous.

I didn't have room for a pudding but my husband had a crema Catalana (the restaurant is decorated in Catalan red & yellow) and it was very nice, though the topping was over-browned. It was a shame that there was no dessert wine to accompany it.

We paid €85 for this meal with two glasses of (very good) Blanquette de Limoux and a demi of house red. I thought it was good value. Four stars rather than five because of a toughish steak and overbrowned pud, but I would wholeheartedly recommend this friendly spot for a true taste of local produce and cooking.

You will enjoy your visit more if you have some French: Madame's English is perfectly functional but I enjoyed talking to the chef about the local ingredients, and he seems to speak French mostly.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Paris
“Unbeatable value for money”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013 via mobile

Great wine, and a wonderful daily menu which was great value for money. The best coffee in the area too.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Devon
“Look no further than La Table Cathare”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

We were staying in Fanjeaux for two weeks and rather than drive for several miles to seek an alternative, we walked to the town centre to try La Table Cathare to celebrate our anniversary. We were glad we did. The apearance of La Table Cathare is unassuming as you approach the entrance and the interior is that of a small, modest village restaurant but the food is good and the family that run the restaurant are extremely nice people. This is not an elegant French bistro, it is a village restaurant, but at the end of the evening, my wife turned to me and said, "I really enjoyed that!"...what better result could you ask for? I am, admittedly, fond of family restaurants, devoid of pretension where the service is friendly and genuine...and the food is good. So, for a pleasant, relaxed evening with good food, I recommend La Table Cathare. We liked it enough to return two more times, once for dinner and once for lunch.

• Visited June 2012