We stayed at Alpenpark for a week from 2nd February 2013 for our ski holidays. Unfortunately that so called 4 stars superior hotel did not meet our high expectations at all. Have been going for regular ski holidays to Austria for ages we were expecting usual homely feeling and great service. Unfortunately it was not the case at Alpenpark.
We went with the extended family and booked 1 double and 1 family room for a week.
We`ve chosen this hotel specifically as it was a child friendly (we traveled with 2 kids) and had a big sauna area and indoor/outdoor heated swimming pools.
I will mention all positive points about Alpenpark very breathily as there are too many positive feedbacks about this hotel and stress on some negative things just to warn other guests what to expect from this place and what not.
- cleanliness. However I have to point out that it is expected in any even basic no stars B&B everythere in Austria
- great huge family spa/pool area with plenty of different things to play with, including waterslide
- kids club. although we did not use it, it looked very impressive
- good sport club with bowling, table tennis etc. to spend your winter evenings
- high quality food and great choice of food. But again it is expected in Austria even at any food chain.
- soft drinks on tap
- friendliness and efficiency of all restaurant staff
- salt water swimming pool in adults spa
The things we did not like:
The reception desk
- astonishing unfriendliness of the reception staff. Everyone of them! We hardly ever heard any greetings everytime we were passing the reception desk. they were always busy either talking to each other or doing something on the PC. Even at the check out after paying our bills we did not hear even the most common "thank you for paying/staying with us/ have a nice trip home/ hope to see you next year" . Or may be they are so busy they do not want the return customers.
- lack of knowledge of the reception staff. for every question about Seefeld and for example even swimming pool opening hours the only 2 possible answers were "I`m not sure", or " I don`t know".
- it is the first place in Austria where the manager/ owner did not bother to greet his guests during the whole week of our stay. the only place we saw the manager/owner of the hotel was the sport bar. he was too busy drinking beer with his wife to go around the tables during dinner to meet his guests and ask if everything was ok etc.
- lack of information about the hotel in the room. Spa and room service price lists are proudly displayed on the table in the room, but there was no information pack of any kind apart from TV channels list and phone instructions. Not at all 4+ stars standards.
- we booked with Thomson a double room with a balcony and were given room 550. that an rabbit hole! it is an absolute disgrace for both Thomson and hotel management itself to allocate this tiny room for 2 adult skiers! the room itself is so small there is no place even for your 2 suitcases and the shower room is so small it is impossible to hang your skiing clothes to dry after the day of skiing. After spending our first 3 days we asked the reception staff to show us other rooms, and, surprise surprise! the hotel being only half full we`ve been offered only 2 options: extra 38 euro per night or 58. we opted for the cheaper option (moved to room 302) but in our strong opinion if they cared about their guests we should have been offered that room upgrade for free as we played already nearly 2000£ for our one week stay. Silly me of couse they don`t care, the owner`s and reception staff attitude show that very clearly.
- inconstancy of the room amenities. in some rooms there were fruit baskets, bathroom scales, but not in the others. worn out pillows and very uncomfortable mattresses. Moreover in room 550 the pillows and planets were synthetic and the pillows were washed so many times you would be ashamed to offer it to a homeless person, but in other rooms 527 and 302 both pillows and blankets were of feather. Would you call it double standards? I definitely would.
- nothing authentic about the hotel decoration. there were no traditional furniture, paintings, stuffed animals( I know some people don`t like it, but it is Austria and you expect to see it everythere) which you are expecting in any Austrian place. the whole place looked like it could be anywhere in the world.
- if you claim yourself as 4+ stars hotel, complimentary bottle of water in the room on arival is expected in Europe, especially in Austria. I love tap water and it is exceptionally good in Austria, but 4+ stars must oblige to something?
-As keen swimmers we always choose the hotel with outdoor swimming pool for our ski holidays and prior to booking I emailed to the hotel and double checked with them if their outdoor swimming pool was all year round, which they confirmed. Little did I know that I had to double check their opening ours as well! As a norm in all hotels we stayed before outdoor swimming pool usually opens in the mornings, closes during lunch time and re-opens in the afternoon and stays open until the indoor pool and sauna closing. Not at Alpenpark! to our greatest disappointment when 5 of us came to the pool area at 7.30 a.m. for a morning swim before breakfast we discovered that the outdoor family pool opens only at 2.30 p.m. and bigger pool opens at 4.30 p.m. and shuts at 6 p.m.! So we had to wait until 4.30 in the afternoon and had to make some changes in our daily schedule to fit their bizarre opening hours into our skiing plans. Moreover one evening without any apparent reason they just decided to close outdoor pool half an hour earlier without any notice. Everything is so disorganized in that place I just do not know where to start.
- one evening the pool staff took away the bathrobe, the towel and clean dry underwear of one of our kids, while he was having the shower. even after mentioning this accident at the reception we did not get fresh bathrobe, nor the towel before we told them again the following day. and the underwear just disappeared. I understand that it was just an unfortunate accident and there was no harm done, but that ignorance of the reception staff/management just showed us again that standards this place of.
All in all we were very disappointed in Alpenpark and would not recommend this place to anyone who is looking for quality place to stay.
last winter we stayed at Astoria (it`s 5 stars) and I wish we did not make this horrible mistake this year and decided to try a new place Alpenpark, but went to Astoria again.
I could carry on and on, but just wanted to mention the biggest things that dissapoined us. I attached some pics as well, sorry no pics of the room 550, but you shoudl avoid it by any means anyway.
definitely not a 4+ stars, more like average 3 stars resort which could be anywhere. I give it 3 out of 5 overall rating just because it has so many amenities on paper.But in fact it deserves only 2 as it does not meet your expectations, basivaly misleads you.
avoid room 550 - tiny. rooms in the newest block 302 etc are probably the best
See more room tips
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.