“Nice and professional yoga place!” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Akurala, Sri Lanka
5 attraction reviews
“Nice and professional yoga place!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013 via mobile

I did the 6 days intermediate course and I'm really happy I did!I was lucky to have private classes and I learned a lot.Also the lectures besides the practice are very interesting. It took me a while to get used to Yogesh,because he's not so open and doesn't show much emotion,but it's just who he is,and his teachings were correct and professional,and that's what really matters. I stayed at their house too,the room was really nice and I enjoyed the lovely food and small talks with Deepah,and playing cards with the kids.
This course really had an impact on my body and mind and I'm happy I have my personal program now to keep on practicing during the rest of my travelling! It's all in all a good deal,with a good teacher and down to earth yoga classes! And Pushkar is a lovely city too :-) Enjoy!

Visited June 2013

“Transformed my practice in 21 days”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

I did Yogesh's 21 day advanced course and highly recommend it. I'd been dropping into classes in different parts of the world for years and wanted to deepen my practice while in India. The Yoga garden became my university of yoga. Yogesh utterly transformed my vision of what yoga is and isn't. This is yoga in its essence, as taught by northern India's Bihari school. No ohming or chanting here, and don't expect a guru in flowing robes floating on a white cloud - Yogesh - usually sporting a t-shirt and trackpants - teaches in a down to earth way, always with a dash of Indian humour, interspersed with tales of his former lives teaching in Sweden and Nepal.

Reviewers who found the classes boring or monotonous are missing the point. Most yoga schools have to keep on greatly varying their classes to keep students coming. That's cool and I too love a varied range of styles, but time with Yogesh is all about learning day by day, the core positions or 'asanas' at the heart of yoga, and taking them deeper as you progress. After a while these positions became committed to my 'body memory'.

During the three week advanced course I took my body to a new level of flexibility I had never known. Through his daily lectures - practical as well as theoretic, on meditation, yogic philosophy and Ayurveda, I learned that the physical practice we know as yoga in the west, while a powerful and key cornerstone, is just one element. I joined the school with a goal - to have my own personal practice that I could do on the road, in hotel stops, etc, when I was working away from my local and beloved hometown yoga school. I certainly got that, but I also left with my curiosity piqued and a desire to learn more and go deeper.

A word on Pushkar as a place for a longer course - it may not be Rishikesh - Yogesh is the only serious option here - but with its holy lake it's a deeply spiritual place to learn, and for a month you can make it your 'university' studying anything from classical Indian music to dance and cookery. Yogesh's timetables also make this easy.

Visited April 2013
3 attraction reviews
“Great teacher”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

Went to just one class in April. It was great got into positions I never dreamed off! Really helped explaining everything as went along. Had really hopped to back and do course but our travel plans never allowed time back to pushkar.
Highly recommended.

My husband also had a cooking lesson with his wife which was fantastic too!

Visited April 2013
“If this is Yoga, then I'm not really interested..”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

The instructor knows alot about yoga but what he is lacking is people skills. I came for one class and it felt highly unpersonal. The instructor seemed to big note himself about his instructor career, not very humble. Nowhere to sit , no one to greet you. The class started and ended abruptly. I've only done yoga a few times before but I excepted the man to align me and look after me as I am a total beginner. Afterwards he took the money and it felt so businesslike. There was definitely no garden or genuine friendlyness.

Visited May 2013
PushkarYoga, Owner at Pushkar Yoga Garden, responded to this review, May 12, 2013
Dear student,
I take your review positively and feel the need to introspect in my ways. I am definately going to make an effort to provide a more pleasant and inspiring experience to my students.
We get water problems in Rajasthan during these hot months, so to maintain a garden becomes very challenging. We will definately work on the aspects of the yoga courses here that you and your other friend ( that has written the privous review) think need improvement.
Thanks a lot.
Yogesh Yogi.
Sydney, Australia
“I was mislead by good reviews”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

We found it not being the garden that we expected. It was only dry , dirt and rocks. No where you can even sit down comfortably. The man seem friendly enough at first, but you think doing a 3 day course that was expensive, you could get at least a cup of tea and some warm words. Instead he cuts the classes early and almost runs away, while the relaxation begins. Instead of go through a guided Shavasana. It feels like he dosent enjoy it that much. I didnt pay for an extra cup of tea, i payed for the yoga but that was definitly all I got. He was not encouruging or connecting to annyone in the class, nor did he praise you. Instead just lamely showing the poses and then you didnt know wheter youve done the postures correctly and feel good that you've acomplished something. These days were pushing for 40 degrees, yet we had to ask to switch the fan on. I really wanted at least 5 min extra of his own time, and a cup of tea or some warmth and tolerance that comes from a teacher. The general feeling was, he was only there cause he had to and escaped as soon as he could. At one point, he also beat up a little young puppie dog with a stick to make it leave his premises. There is always a better way to shift away a dog if it is unwanted, specially infront of a group of yoga students who is trying to reach a calm state. And during the classes, you get to hear his family running around underneath you and it feels like you are inwading on them.
And the promised individual program that you get in the end, was like we had to write it ourselves, and it felt like he rushed it through and picked a program for each of us that wasnt very thoughtful. I do hope that Yogesh reads this, and realizes that interpersonal relationships and a deeper connection with the students to feel warmly welcome and more instructions on how you are doing, is needed.

Its not like we did'nt learn some good aspects of yoga, but everything else that I have written here is my true experience.

Visited May 2013
PushkarYoga, Owner at Pushkar Yoga Garden, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Dear student,
I do not think that the tripadvisor reviews from other yoga students are misleading !! You might have had different expectation than what most people come here for - and that is to learn yoga, meditation and relevant life sciences that could help them to live a better quality of life, and this is what we offer here in our courses.
You were just too concerned about not finding a 'real garden' or a sitting place and a cup of tea.

You could have learnt a lot more from your course, had you focused on the learning part of it.
Of course things can always be improved and we are definately going to work in coming days on the aspects of the course that you mentioned and improve these
minor discomforts.