“One among Pancha Sarovar” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 8 Attractions in Pushkar
Type: Bodies of Water, Outdoors
Greater Noida, India
17 attraction reviews
“One among Pancha Sarovar”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

Have a bath with Sankalpa. Do pooja to sarovar. Those who do not have Parents, Perform Tarpan & Pindapradan which is necessary for the departed. If this is to be done, take required information of the previous generations. The pandits at the sarovar are ok in these rituals. But the amount of demand for donation to their trust is unreasonable. However after going there we cant resist ourselves from these rituals because of their demand.

Visited January 2013

• Polish first
Mazar-i-Sharif, Afghanistan
“DEEPAK AYURVEDA in Pushkar is a total CHEAT”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

Deepak Ayurveda in Pushkar is a total cheat!

He gave me the worst so-called 'pedicure' ever. He used dirty and unprofessional equipment and pretended to give me a pedicure, whereas he definitely does not know what that is. After a 20 min treatment, he wanted to have 300 rupees, whereas we agreed on less in the beforehand. I was really angry because I have rarely felt that cheated. I still can t believe how rude he was!!! So do not go to this guy for a so-called pedicure or manicure!

Detroit, Michigan
5 attraction reviews
“Yes. I was stupid and got conned out of money.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

I would like to preface this review by saying my boyfriend and I had been in India several weeks before going to Pushkar. We also travel extensively, so we foolishly thought we were immune to these kinds of scams. After extreme frustration, several insults and 400 rupees later we found out we were not. Learn from my mistakes and do not be branded with the marks the ignorant tourist in Pushkar.

My boyfriend and I spent the one day/night in Pushkar on our way from Jaipur to Jodhpur. We had been travelling in India for several weeks, mostly in larger cities. At first we were very excited to be in Pushkar, it seemed charming and wonderful. We checked into our hotel and made our way down to the lake. I always try to be extremely sensitive towards any religious customs we should be observing. We took our shoes off, read the signs for decorum at the entrance of the lake, and proceeded towards the steps. A man was standing at the entrance and said "Its respectful to throw a flower into the lake. You must pay respect to the lake before you can enjoy it". We thought he was simply selling flowers and thought "Why not!" and he handed us two. We went to pay him 20 rupees and he declined and said very genuinely "Just pay respect to the lake".

We walked down the steps towards the lake together, at this point two separate men approached us and said "Here we will show you what to do. This is a religious place and you must do it correctly". The warning bells should have been going off loudly at my head in this point, but not wanting to do anything to offend the traditions we let them walk us to the lake. They instructed me that the ladies throw their flowers on this side, and the men on the other. It would be offensive if we did not do it this way. They left us alone for a second and we separated and I sat down to throw my flower in the water. Here the con man popped up behind me again. "This is what we say before we throw the flower in" he told me. For the first 20 seconds I thought he was actually being helpful and was a pious religious man, perhaps he worked there and wanted to spread information about his religion. After about 20 seconds a tray full of rice etc popped up behind me and I knew I was being taken in. My initial thought was to have this done as fast as possible, toss the guy 50 rupees and be done with it. He very quickly had me repeat some mumbo jumbo, one part included having me pray for a nice car. At first I thought I was mistaken and he had said karma, but no he wanted me to pray for a nice car. He could see my demeanor was changing so he quit with the fake religious prayers and started asking me for donations to his "charity" and talking about how money does not matter to those who will have good karma. I got up and at this point he was actually standing between me and the path to my boyfriend saying "Why cant you decide about yourself. What about your wishes for your family etc". This man may have been a fake religious con man, but he had magical powers of some sort. Before I could even realize what was happening he was holding my hand and as I was yelling "NO BRACELET" he was tying a string bracelet on my arm. It was on tight and that sucker was not coming off.

I quickly got my boyfriend, who was now standing up with a big red dot of rice on his forehead and the same flimsy bracelets on. These are the marks of travelling ignorance in Pushkar, and we had been branded with them. I dont know how they did it, because my boyfriend is notoriously stingy, but they had weaseled him out of 400 rupees for the bracelets. They were not satisfied with this however and began insulting us and demanding more money. We were done with this whole situation and began walking away. "My friends dont be angry! Thank you! Thank you!" They said as they tried to physically block our way towards the stairs. We just kept walking and at this point the men kept trying to shake our hands and asking if we had a good time. No, we sure as hell did not.

This is one of about five scams we saw going on in Pushkar that day. Its a beautiful place but just make sure you know what to expect before you go.

On a separate note, I really appreciate birds and go "birding" for a hobby. I do not, however, appreciate stepping in pigeon poop barefoot everywhere I walk. Seriously there are thousands of pigeons and their poop is everywhere at the lake.

UK
25 attraction reviews
“Beautiful oasis.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Pushkar Lake is where the local people go to pray/bathe (I'm not too sure what, but they're not just having a wash!)
It's a real chance to see the spiritual side of Hinduism.

Visited January 2013
India
8 attraction reviews
“Lovely Place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

Pushkar sarovar is clean, beautiful and serene The buildings/temples around it give a feeling of being in ancient times. There are lots of people who will follow you and ask to do pooja on the ghats (religious hindu prayers) but I was with a guide so I was not bothered much.

Visited the only Brahmaji temple in the world. It was not crowded so I could visit in just 10 minutes. Was fun to walk through narrow streets lined with all kind of shops and restaurants.

Traveled from Ajmer by a low floor bus. It took only half an hour for the ride from Ajmer to Pushkar.

Overall a good experience.