“So what?” 2 of 5 stars

Type: Bodies of Water, Outdoors
Jodhpur, India
“So what?”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

Go to Varanasi if you want to see a pilgrimage site. Not much going on here except countless shops selling tourist junk. You can pay to step out on some private ghat, but there's not much going on.

Visited February 2013

• Polish first
“Fake priests think of us as ATM machines!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013 via mobile

Me and my partner where walking towards the lake and some random Indian greets us, telling us about his stay in the US and other chit chat leaving us with some rose peddles. "Make a wish at the lake, bye!"

When we arrived we wanted to take of our shoes, but were guided by two men to the place for tourists and there we were separaited. Men here, women there. Then they started chanting. I asked what it was about and that if he wanted money of me. At first not, but obviously later they did. 200 rupees for each of my family members. For the poor. I told the guy that we already had given to poor people and if I wanted to do it again I would rather give it in person. But I was already painted with a tika and given a wristband so I had to give something. And even before I realized what the hell happend I had donated 200 rupees just to get out of there fast!

These people think of tourist not as persons but as walking ATM's. It happens all over India time after time. They are killing tourism by this ever greedy and rude behavior.

After two and a half months here in India I am just sick of it.

Mumbai (Bombay), India
27 attraction reviews
“a place of religious importance to Hindus”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013 via mobile

Hindus consider a dip into this lake to be very auspicious.
but just like any other popular pilgrimage,this place lacks cleanliness.priests harass a lot, and is crowded.
I visited this lake in January and was surprised to find more foreigners than Indians.

Lisbon, Portugal
49 attraction reviews
“The sacred water”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

It's a beautiful trip along the market, along the lake. But watch out for the "priests" "offering" flowers. You might end up with paying a LOT of money! Kindly refuse saying "namastê" and moving on....

Visited September 2012
New Delhi
3 attraction reviews
“Quiet but needs maintenance”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

Quiet lake with lots of birds, but very dirty, due to religious importance people come to this place but forget that things like plastic bags, wastages etc are not to be thrown in to the lake, it really needs lot of cleaning

Visited January 2013