“"Tents" made for a Nice Change” 5 of 5 stars

The Orchha Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Kanchanghat | Distt. Tikamgarh, Orchha 472246, India   |
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Orchha
Collingwood, Canada
“"Tents" made for a Nice Change”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

The resort has normal rooms too, but our group chose the tents to live in. It poured with rain that night but we stayed perfectly dry and the heaters kept us warm. The tents have all the trappings of a normal hotel room, including ensuite shower and toilet facilities. Orchha has a beautiful old palace to see so is well worth a visit.

Room Tip: Watch out for the unseen critters who share your tent at night. I lost a pair of socks to something...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Gurgaon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

I had intended to reach Datia by 7 pm crossing Jhansi but it was not possible. Highways turn dark past 6pm in winters. I took a left turn inside for Orchha, the only place to find decent hotels in the vicinity. The 8 km seemed like eternity with one railway crossing. Orchha resort is like Oasis in wilderness, a fine well furnished place with restaurant, swimming pool and very comfortable rooms. The staff was so courteous, espescially manager Gayri was very helpful in accomodating me for the last minute booking inspite of having host of European clients.
My room on the ground floor was adjacent to pool where classical music ... tabla, harmonium was being played ... I was quite tired, so ordered food in room which was served hot and promptly and slept. Morning looked very refreshing with the historical sites just adjacent to this hotel and Betwa river idly flowing so close. I had quick breakfast and left ... it was really a very refreshing stay. The road to highway looked beautiful with the castles and fort remnants en route to the highway. 2 overloaded trains were passing by, so had to wait for almost half hour at the crossing.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Fordingbridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

I enjoyed my stay at the Orchha Resort (2 nights in January 2013). Some of the comments by other reviewers seem a bit harsh I think.
I was very happy here. My room was very close to the lobby area so I was able to pick up the free wifi in my room which was a huge bonus for me.
My room was just a 'standard' one so there was no view (in fact it looked as though there was a brick wall & machinery & 'stuff' outside my window but you couldn't really draw the net curtain back to see exactly what the 'non view' was. It didn't bother me as the wifi in my room was a fair trade off I reckoned.
The hotel seemed a little bit 'run down' to me but this was more in the way of a lack of using money for refurbishments etc rather than a lack of care by the staff. The management seemed to strive to provide good facilities & service with 'what they had'.
Some of the good points (which are often lacking in other Indian hotels):
Everything in the room worked
Good fridge
Good lighting (especially over the dressing table & over the mirror in the bathroom)
Make up/shaving mirror in bathroom
Lots of plug points (& in convenient places)
Swimming pool & nice seating area (although it was too cold in January sadly)
Comfy recliner sofa & table
Bed was comfy & clean
Bath with plenty of hot water
TV worked fine (I got the Discovery channel so there were obviously English speaking channels available)
Breakfast was a very nice buffet on my 1st morning. There was no buffet on my 2nd morning (obviously not enough guests). I still had a very nice breakfast.
Location was excellent.
I would definitely be happy to stay here again.

Room Tip: Room 214 is near the lobby area & picks up the free wifi. The 'trade off' is that you h...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

As such Orchha doesn't have much to offer apart from the temples. However this welcoming place made the decision of staying at orchha for one night justified. The tents are comfortable and a welcome change from concrete structures. The food was nice and so was the service. The resort has a small pool as well, although i can't really say how well is it maintained hygienically. Had it not been the generator and somewhat pricey I would have rated it even higher. Recommended!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Hamilton, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

When we pulled up to this place I was so happy.. what a Beautiful looking place. WOW!
There is a beautiful pool on the property, The ground are gorgeous with flowers everywhere. Its only a short walk into town. We stayed in the tent rooms which were very nice and surprisingly very comfortable. I enjoyed the stay here. The rooms were large and very clean! When you walk out of the tents you can see this beautiful complex of ancient ruins. The view is gorgeous. This place is like a Huge resort on some island.

The Buffet is very nice. A bit pricey but the food is hot and ready to eat. If you go into town your could wait an hour to eat. The food is good at the hotel. My complaint is the Price. I asked for a bottle of water with the meal and they charge 70 rupee for water!! its 12 - 15 rupee anywhere else. If you walk down the street one minute you will pay 15 rupee. I found even the Chai overpriced and you get a tiny little china cup of tea then they walked away with an almost full little tea pot of the rest of the chai that went cold and went to waste while I watched.

The staff at the hotel just seemed unhappy and uninterested. On the first day one of our friends handed a 1000.00 rupees to the waiter to pay for his meal at the buffet. When the waiter couldn't make change at the table he walked away and then came back about 5 minutes later with change for 500.00 rupees. When our friend stated he gave the guy a 1000.00 the guy looked "confused" and said no 500.00 rupees. I had seen the whole thing and had to tell the waiter that NO it was 1000.00 rupees. At which point the waiter then said ok...Then he handed over the correct change from His Wallet. The incident left me feeling uncomfortable and wondering if it was an honest mistake or something else.

We were here with a large group of 16 people with g adventures in Nov 2012. Several of us had a plumbing problem on the last morning of our stay. When we went to turn the hot water on it came out Brown, Chunky, and Smelly! Now before this happened the shower was great - nice hot water with good pressure. So I am not sure what happened on the last morning but it happened in several of the tent rooms. Many of us didn't get a shower that morning. Maybe just a fluke .. I am not sure..
Great Wifi in the lobby!! Good strong connection.

I had a hard time with this review ... I liked the room and the amenities ... but the prices and the staff experiences make me want to not recommend this place. So I thought I would just list my experiences and let you decide what you think. I will give it an average.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

The Orchha Resort is well presented and manages to feel both professional and welcoming at the same time.

We had booked a deluxe double room which initially looked good but we were disturbed by noise from a generator outside and a table tennis table outside the door. We were offered a swap to a marble room that was quiet and plush. The bed was comfortably soft - a welcome relief after some of the hard beds in India - and a heater was provided on request. The bathroom functioned well apart from a shower which could not keep a constant temperature - veering between very hot and cold and back again. The rooms do not really have great views - the hotel has a low profile (thank goodness or it would ruin the chhantri next door) but if you do need a view then just step out to steps behind the swimming pool - river on one side and chhantri on the other.

The buffet supper was good value at only R500 a head. The selection was limited but the Indian food was tasty. Breakfast was also tasty and on our last day when we had to leave at 6am for a train, the chef prepared a packed breakfast for us including delicious paratha that were still warm when we got on the train at Jhansi Junction. Beer was pricey but it is not easily available in Orchha.

The hotel has free wifi, but the signal is only in the lobby. Still, free wifi is a pleasant surprise in India

Orchha Resort is easily walkable to the main sights of the village but just on the edge so it doesn't get the hustle and bustle of autorickshaws.

This is a nicely presented hotel in a beautiful setting - I would stay here again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
adelaide
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

This was part of our gadventure experience. We aren't someone who wants a pool, so can't apart from I know the yopung people on our group loved it. For us, it was the enjoyment of the back drop of the temples being so close and the tents. The staff were good as I had the wrong adaptor and they found one for me, food was good. I am not sure I weould have like to stay in the normal rooms, but they looked clean and large.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Orchha Resort? Share your experiences!