“excellent rooms within a budget” 4 of 5 stars

Monarch Rama
Main Road, Orchha, India   |
Ranked #2 of 19 Orchha B&B and Inns
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
“excellent rooms within a budget”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

We stayed for one night in this property.I must say that for 500/- INR a night, the rooms were excellent.clean, neat, carpeted, with television and extremely well maintained, these were one of the best budget rooms we stayed in.The rooms are much better value than the more well known fort view guest house, bang opposite this hotel, where we stayed for the previous night
It is a pity that the hotel doesn't have a view to the fort, being situated on the other side of the road.Had that been available,it would have been a 5/5 from my side.

It also has a restaurant, however, we didn't try there.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
orccha
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2013

Out of all budget hotels in Orchha I have seen this was the best. Clean quiet room nice shower, good food in roof restaurant, Wifi, so I highly recomend this place. Easy to find location is just at the gate to Orchha.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Shanghai, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for two nights and enjoyed our stay. We tried 5 other budget places in this tiny town and this was significantly better. The rooms are clean, ensuite, double bed and tv. There's no external windows - instead a window looks onto the hall but it's not a problem.
Overall this hotel provides very good value for money!

• Stayed February 2013
Delhi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

This hotel is well situated and is one km walk to the fort and the temples.
Though it is a budget hotel its clean and very cheap. Value for money I would say. Staff is helpful and guided us about Orchha. Hot running water is available. Bedsheets bed covers are clean.

Cons: They don't have a restaurant, so no food. You have to rely on local shops in the market.

Room Tip: We stayed at the ground floor rooms. Room and bathroom is clean.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Aix-en-Provence, France
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

We came with Taxi from Khajuraho an we hade made a reservation for two nights at The Orchha Resort. The taxi driver just stopped in front of the hotel and asked if we didn't want to stay here instead. Just look at the room. 17 euros insted of 32 euros was a temptation. As i hade made de reservation at the other hotel we had to stay one night there. But after that we stayed 2 nights at Hotel Monarch Rama. The room was clean and we had warm water , TV and AC. I had to ask for a sheet for the blanket because the bed hade only a blanket. When they came withe the sheet it was not clean but we got another. The tap at the sink was a little bit broken so it was a little bit problematic. The conection at Internet that they promised us was not working. We had to go to a InternetCafe. But the staff was very serviceminded and kind.The Hotel is very good situated.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Kolkata
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

Good clean hotel with nice staff. Amenities are fine.It is spacious, has Digital TV, carpet flooring.Running hot water available from shower. Stayed there for two nights. Orchha fort and temples are very close.Staffs guided us with maps and information for better touring in Orchha.

Room Tip: A new roof top restaurant is coming up.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

I am on a bicycle trek across India so I have stayed at fancy hotels amd less so for over a month. I arrived in Orchha very tired and it began to rain. The first hotel on the main road after the second city gate is the Hotel Monarch Rama. The manager shouted to me from the entrance. I asked how much. He replied US $8 and that made me suspicious. You get what you pay for. But he said look at the room first. So I did. Clean. Hot water and I didn't have to wait thirty minutes for it. I saw a mosquito fly into the room. The manager killed it. Cable TV with premium English language stations. All for $8. I have paid a lot more for less in India. The cons: No backup generator when power goes out. And no WI-Fi but the manager informed me the government will approve the Wi-Fi permit this month. Yes! In India you need government permission to get Wi-Fi! I liked it so much I spent an extra day in Orchha. I had a basic room but they have fancier for more $$$. Five minute walk to Jahangir Palace, Main Market, and Rama Mandir. Manager gave me special directions for a road not on maps to save me ten miles bicycling to my next destination in Lalitpur!

Room Tip: I heard some other guests saying that they had premium rooms they were pleased with: 106 and 107. I...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

Been to Monarch Rama? Share your experiences!