“Very helpful and efficient” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Thilak Home Stay

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hampi
Thilak Home Stay
You added Thilak Home Stay to your Saves list
Main Bazaar | River Road, Hampi, Hampi 583239, India   |
Ranked #3 of 31 Hampi B&B and Inns
Melbourne
“Very helpful and efficient”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

This is a very good budget option for Hampi. Kish the proprietor is a gem, arranging all sorts of stuff for us. When I couldn't book train tickets from outside India he bought them for me and sent them by email, telling me to pay when I got there - beat that for service. He has an excellent tuk tuk driver at reasonable fees - easily the best way of getting around the extensive site. He also has a car and driver for more extensive trips - we went up to Badami etc. but we found the car pretty uncomfortable after a while so you might want to look for better options. The room looked a little depressing at first with no windows and pretty crappy bed coverings, but it had excellent ac (top priority for us), fan, wi fi and a good clean bathroom. He has back up batteries for black outs so although the ac goes off for a while the fan keeps going. For breakfast we usually went around to Gopi's rooftop which has a nice view of the Virupaksha temple and reasonable breakfast. Best food is the Mango Tree, but Gita river view at the opposite end of town also has excellent food and there's never anyone there. Another dodgier looking place called something like Venktashawara or something next to a bookshop was also very good.
I'd strongly recommend staying in Hampi village - the location is ideal - every other option you're too far away from stuff.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Hebrew first
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

After an overnight train ride, we arrived in Hospet and were greeted by Bata, a rickshaw driver, who took good care of usl! This was our preview to Thilak Home Stay! Kish and Swathi were so very helpful in setting up our visit! The home stay is in the heart of the bazaar--perfect location! We highly recommend Thilak Home Stay!

Room Tip: You may want to choose a room in the back as the street can be noisy, however, after a day of hiking...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Boulder, CO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

I arrived hours later than expected and was a bit sketched out to roll into Hampi after everything had closed down. Kish had confirmed my reservation but I didn't have a phone to call him once I arrived. He came running to check me in late at night and he, his sister, Swathi, and the others who work here have been absolutely delightful ever since. They've given me tips on what to do, what restaurants to try and booked a huge next step of my journey for me. My room, linens and bathroom were clean and they keep the hallways and common areas clean as well. And, the wifi is the most reliable I've had in India. As a woman traveling alone, this was a wonderful welcome to Hampi! I would absolutely recommend Thilak and Kamala Guest Houses!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Paris, France
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

Don't choose this guesthouse !

The manager, Kish, is a really bad person : I arrived in Hampi with my sister without hotel reservations and a rickshaw driver took us to the office of Kish.
We came by bus from Chennai to Hampi, and we had to buy bus tickets to return.
How lucky we are told the driver: Kish also sells bus tickets !
However, we fell into a trap: Kish claimed that the bus was full and he asked us to pay more ! We believed what he said and we paid more because we were afraid of not being able to take the bus.That's what he claimed !
In reality, the bus was not full at all ! And the next day we realized that other travel agencies selling ticket at regular price. What a lier and a dishonest person! He abused us because we were 2 womens tired by 12 hours of bus... What a coward!

About the room, it was also sold more expensive than other rooms elsewhere. BE CAREFUL : Regular price for a room in Hampi is 450-600 INR, Kish asked us 800 INR for equivalent service.

In addition, it was not clean at all and our neighbor was attacked all the night by bed bugs!
In conclusion, it was a very bad experience based on lies and trap.

I recommend to not book in Thilak and Kamala Guesthouse : this guesthouses are both managed by Kish.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Bengaluru (Bangalore), India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

We were gutted to be only able to stay one night in Hampi, especially as the accomodation we found was so lovely. Thilak is a simple, cosy, very clean and welcoming base to explore Hampi from and Kish and his friends and family who help run the place are very helpful and speak excellent English. Anything we needed to get around Hampi - Kish was able to provide and he really helped us out on our last night (nearly 12 hours after we had technically checked out!) when our card was getting declined. Oh and it couldn't be better placed, slap bang in the centre of the Bazaar. Best nights sleep I've had in India so far.

ps. be warned, there are no ATMs in Hampi so bring plenty of cash!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Demarest, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

Thilak is a solid place to stay. Perfect location. The rooms are nice and clean, if basic, and the hot water and wifi works some of the time (which is a lot better than almost all budget places in India).

But I give it 5 stars because of Kishor, the owner, who goes above and beyond to ensure each guest's comfort and enjoyment. I arrived in Hampi and wasn't feeling great. I needed something to bring down my fever, but there is no pharmacy or chemist in Hampi. Instead of just putting me in a rickshaw to head to the nearest pharmacy, Kish just told me to hop on the back of his motorbike, and brought me there himself. And he made sure to check up on me later.

He also books travel and guides and basically everyone in Hampi knows him and he knows everyone, so he'll take good care of you.

I highly recommend Thilak.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Beijing, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

The hosts at Thilak were super friendly and helpful. They helped us arrange activities and suggested places to eat. Really really lovely hosts!

Our room was at the front - super noisy all night. We didn't get a lot of sleep. This is partly because of its great location so you need to choose! Or ask for a room that's not in the street.

The rooftop was excellent as well great views at night!

Hampi was a beautiful place we stayed for 3 nights probably could have stayed for two though!

I also got the best massage of my life at Lotus. It's down the road from Thilak on the way to the river! It was amazing!!! I recommend it.

• Stayed December 2012

Been to Thilak Home Stay? Share your experiences!