“Wonderful style and views” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Lake Mutanda Chameleon Hill

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bwindi Impenetrable National Park
Lake Mutanda Chameleon Hill
You added Lake Mutanda Chameleon Hill to your Saves list
Bwindi Impenetrable National Park, Uganda   |
Santa Fe, New Mexico
“Wonderful style and views”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

This location was arranged by our excellent Uganda based tour company, Brovad Tours as a stopover spot in Kampala before heading to Gorilla Trek and was an free upgrade from our planned place. Location is excellent because it is close to the Impenetrable Park AND on a fabulous ridge overlooking Lake Mutanda for sunsets and sunrises
Food is fancy but not enough. Service is excellent - they even clean your shoes after a day in the jungle.

Room Tip: Variety of room prices but all have excellent views and the same service.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Doris M, Owner at Lake Mutanda Chameleon Hill, responded to this review, December 12, 2013
Dear Kerry and Mary,
thank you for your feedback which is always appreciated. It makes me happy, that you liked the Chameleon Hill style and our legendary views.
However, I am sorry that you found the food was not enough. Usually when the tables are cleared our guests would comment by saying "the food was excellent but too much"... The breakfast is buffet style but sometimes people chose to not eat so much because it is veeery early before tracking the gorillas. For lunch we either offer lunch packs as almost all our guests are out for the day visiting the gorillas or doing other activities around the lake, or a choice of really big sandwiches, soups or salads. Also here we usually get very good feedback. And dinner are 3-courses - I am sorry that you found the food was not enough.
Regarding your suggestion to offer different prices for the rooms - this is difficult as all our 10 chalets are exactly the same with the only difference in color schemes. Same size, same view, same interior. Anyway, may be when you come back one day we can sit over a glass of wine and discuss the details.
All the best from Uganda
Doris

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

Chameleon Hill is truly heaven on earth. We were warmly greeted by Gabriel and Charles who both had the biggest smiles I have ever seen!! The rooms were beautifully designed but the highlight of Chameleon Hill is the stunning views of the volcanoes, lush landscapes and sparkling Lake Mutanda from each room and the main house.

The food was yummy and the owner Doris was a warming and truly amazing woman. I was travelling with a group of 11 women for a two day gorilla trek in the Bwindi Impenetrable National Park, Uganda. On the second day 3 of the girls decided not to trek so we were able to fulfil two of Chameleon Hills staff Steve and Charles life long dreams to see the mountain gorillas of Bwindi.

This would not have been possible had they not had a wonderful, supportive boss Doris who was more than happy to allow them go. The smiles on their faces is something that I will never forget. Please visit this wonderful lodge as you will not be disappointed and is somewhere I hope to visit again.

Room Tip: All the rooms are beautiful but if you have trouble with walking up a lot of stairs, ask for a room...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Doris M, Owner at Lake Mutanda Chameleon Hill, responded to this review, November 28, 2013
Dear Nicholette,
firstly I need to thank YOU for making it possible for Steven and Charles to experience the gentle giants of Bwindi as close as one can get. They work so hard and look after our guests with all their heart, so there was no way I could not let them go. I also want to thank you and the other girls for spreading this positive energy here at Chameleon Hill. I can still hear your laughter and find it so inspirational how you are making a difference in Uganda by supporting the "hunger project". Well done! I hope to see you soon again and send you hugs and greetings from ALL OF US!
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

There is something special about this lodge - the owner has created such a beautifully thought out place, which she welcomes visitors in like they are friends. The view is stunning, and the bungalows are really cute. This would be a lovely, romantic getaway, as well as a great place to chill out after a tough day's trekking to see Uganda's gorillas.

This place was such a wonderful surprise, and I'd love to go and stay there again! If you are in this part of the world, there is no way I would stay anywhere else.

The building is also very eco friendly, and the rooms are very comfortable and each has a wonderful view out over Lake Mutanda.

Room Tip: If you don't want to uphill from your room to the main building (it's not far, but the altit...
Dear AlphaTravelling,
thank you for your recent review. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay at Chameleon Hill. I greatly appreciate your recognition of what we have created here in our little paradise. It is always nice to know that we were able to serve our guests to their expectations. I also would like to mention the the Chameleon Hill family has enjoyed hosting you and your group tremendously. I would also like to congratulate you on supporting this wonderful "hunger project"! Thank you for caring! And - please do come back (of course as a friend!) one day.
Best wishes from Uganda
london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

on a recent trip from Bwindi, a group of us were booked at chameleon hill Lodge after our eclipse tour in Northern Uganda as our base for gorilla tracking. I was immediately surprised at the beauty and great location in this part of the world. I would not mind staying here for the rest of my life. The rooms were great and the staff were friendly and dedicated to making our stay as much comfortable and memorable as possible. will certainly come back with my family!!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Doris M, Owner at Lake Mutanda Chameleon Hill, responded to this review, November 27, 2013
Dear Nathan,
thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience with the travel community on trip advisor. I can very much relate to your comment "staying here for the rest of your life" as I feel exactly the same! One of our staff members recently mentioned how lucky he feels that he can stay behind in this beautiful part of the world while our visitors have to leave ...
We will be ready for you to bring your family! Hope to see you soon.
Sunny regards from Chameleon Hill
Maputo, Mozambique
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

As you drive to Chameleon Hill you see a breathtaking view of volcanos, a gorgeous lake and lush landscapes as far as the eye can see. We were immediately welcomed by Gabriel and his amazing staff and made to feel at home. The views were spectacular and the accommodations far exceeded our expectations. We highly recommend staying here if you want to visit Uganda and plan to go gorilla trekking. Chameleon Hill, we have recommended you to friends who are planning to travel to Uganda for the gorilla trekking. Thank you for making our trip most memorable.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear Jess,
thank you very much for this review and recommending us to your friends. We will do our best to make sure we keep up our high standards to fulfill or even exceed the expectations of future visitors. We also hope to welcome you back in the not too distant future.
All the best from Lake Mutanda
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

After 12 days holiday in Africa, this is one of the hotels that stands out for sure. It is new, clean and very unique. The manager was so interesting and personable, had dinner with us which was a wonderful change, a differentiator. The views and the lake are to die for and the scenery driving in was also incredible. The hotel had nice accommodations, very comfy and the service was great! We could see the volcano in the Congo by nite, looked like a wildfire, pretty cool. Our only regret was not having more time there. This place is sure to get popular, we're glad we got a chance to stay when we did.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Doris M, Owner at Lake Mutanda Chameleon Hill, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Dear Gina,
thank you very much for taking the time to write this wonderful review. What made me smile was the fact that you mention the scenery you drove through en route to Chameleon Hill. I fully agree with you, this is why I fell in love with this part of the world in the first place, but for some "westernized" visitors the rough roads are still a real adventure and they have to get used to the "african massage" when driving along those bumpy roads. I hope it will still take a long time until our road is going to be tarred to preserve a bit of real Africa.
Hope to see you back at the lodge again one day
Kind regards
Phoenix, Arizona, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

My expectations were so high after seeing the website. I so wanted them to be met. And I am pleased to share... Chameleon Hill far exceeded them!
Our group of 5 were met upon arrival by Gabriel and his staff with cool drinks. (Do read the very first review at the bottom below for more details which I will not repeat)
I loved the round towers of the lodge and the floor mosaic. The bar/dining/lounge areas showcase the absolutely fabulous views of Lake Mutanda and it's islands! (Lounge chairs on the deck would be a great addition) Gabriel joined us for a lovely meal, then we all retired to our cottages because we were Gorilla Trekking the next day. The cottages were the most colorful and nicest we encountered in Uganda!
After a good breakfast, off we went with box lunches to trek gorillas! What a great experience... Our Gorilla family was not too far in the jungle. And one of our trackers was the one who had "habituated" this family, so they knew him! We were surrounded by about 18 gorillas! I was standing next to my daughter, Jessica and one gorilla actually approached her and laid his hand on her arm! We have the picture! Wow!
Upon our return to Chameleon Hill, the staff collected our jungle boots to clean them! An unbelievable service!
After another delicious (steak) dinner, and another peaceful sleep in the cottages, we took our leave from Gabriel, his gracious staff and the lovely Chameleon Hill. This was our last and best stop before returning home! I highly recommend Chameleon Hill as your accommodation when Gorilla Trekking!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear Linda,
I would like to thank you for your very detailed review. And I am sooo happy that you had this amazing gorilla experience as the cherry on the cake while staying at Chameleon Hill. It seems the package was picture perfect. I would also like to tell you that we have bought deck chairs (Hemingway-Safari-Style) a while ago but they are still at the central reservation office in Kampala due to the fact that tranport to the lodge is a bit of a mountain as you can imagine. It surely has many advantages to be "away from everything", but at the same time that sometimes causes a bit of a hurdle. Anyway, I can assure you the deck chairs will be waiting for you on your next visit.
Thanks again and warm regards
Doris

Been to Lake Mutanda Chameleon Hill? Share your experiences!