“Mahogany Hills” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mahogany Springs

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bwindi Impenetrable National Park
Mahogany Springs
You added Mahogany Springs to your Saves list
Kanungu, Buhoma, Bwindi Impenetrable National Park 17, Uganda   |
Special Rate
Free room upgrade
Gaithersburg, Maryland
“Mahogany Hills”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

We found the staff to be exceptionally good and the food excellent. Would highly recommend a stay at this lovely, relaxing, comfortable place.

Room Tip: All rooms had lovely views.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

We just spent over 3 weeks in Eastern Africa. This was by far the best place we stayed - and we stayed at some great places. The setting was magnificent and the service was perfect. The staff was incedibly attentive but never bothersome. The Chef was wonderful and friendly and served terrific food, even sharing some recipes. Every detail was exquisite. But the best part was the peacefulness that settles over you when you are there. I can't wiat to go back!

Also very nice trip to the orphanage while in town.

Room Tip: All seperate units and all perfect!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Hove, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2012

We loved Mahogany Springs, the staff were friendly and helpful and the views across to Bwindi Forest were incredible. The lodge has been built with lots of thought and each of the rooms has panoramic views of the forest. In the main building the far wall is completely glass and there is a large terrace allowing you view the beautiful scenery from here too. The meals were excellent with an A la Carte menu.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Nanaimo, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

Not only was it the best place we stayed in Uganda (we stayed in 8 different places - all as high end as any area offered), as I think about the places I've traveled in the world there are only a few that compare to this one in terms of the quality of staff, attention to detail, food, beauty, location and cleanliness.

It's not luxurious like some places we've stayed - but it's Uganda. I wouldn't feel right relaxing in a bubble bath at the end of a day in a country where clean water is a premium. But it was amazing and I am pretty sure there's not a traveler reading this that would not have their breath taken away by the scenery and their heart warmed by the kindness and service of each and every person at this place.

What I loved about this spot and a few tips and pointers for you:
- We arrived at 11:30pm at night as 2 bridges were out ... causing our 5 hour drive from Lake Mburo to be a 12 hour drive instead. :( The staff waited up for us, greeted us with hot towels, juice and cooked us dinner! Then they were all up at 6am to greet us in the morning with coffee at our door so we could head out for our Gorilla trek.
- Two things we weren't warned of were the red ants and the prickly bushes in the hike. Our hike was CRAZY short. We were with our gorillas in 10 minutes!! HOW LUCKY WE WERE! but others hiked for several hours and wished they had longer socks to pull up over their pants to protect from the fire ants that bite HARD. We also found the bushes really prickly as you climb up and around and you might want thick gloves.
- We received a tour of the grounds from Moses. He was heading back to school so I am not sure if he is there but if he is ask to see his bee hives and walk around. He grew up there and even took us to his family home! What a real treat for us to get a local tour like that. He was just proud and pleased to share his life and his home town with us.
- The manager of the lodge was part of the creation and can tell you amazing stories of Uganda, the lodge being built and his life in Kenya (I think that was where he was from). Invite him to join you for dinner if you can because chatting with him was another highlight of the stay.

The lodge was so quiet at night. There weren't even many animal noises which I found unusual given the noise we experienced at many other places we stayed in Uganda. But it is DARK!! They will always escort you to your room with a light but I would still recommend you carry extra lights with you to dinner at night as it was so dark. Plus I found it a bit scary going to the bathroom at night so was happy to have an extra light to grab by my bed for bathroom trips.

We spent one afternoon in the main lodge reading their books, drinking tea and they even made us some cookies to eat with our tea. We were SO relaxed staring out at the mountainside taking it all in. They also have a pretty great bar and my husband enjoyed beer and wine in the afternoon and evening too.

My only single complaint is that there aren't screens on any of the windows. We would have loved to open it up and let fresh air in but didn't want to attract bugs into the room so we didn't. That said there really didn't seem to be that many bugs there so probably was not a big issue.

My only regret is that we only had 2 nights here. It was the only place in Uganda where we really felt relaxed, at home and well taken care of. There are a lot of activities around the quaint village beyond just the Gorillas. You can visit pygmy villages, do other nature walks and just relax. I could have easily stayed there for 4 nights to take it all in.

Room Tip: Stay away from the main lodge if you can ... I could see how evening and mornings could be noisy as...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2012

Uncommonly pleasant and kind place, the nights I was there I was a bit achy from the difficult and long ride in, the staff had a fellow sleep on the porch in case I needed anything.
The food was prepared to my desire, the manager came and talked with me at length after dinner. It was a superb place and to be awakened with free tea early in the morning and come back to a hot water bottle in bed were just the type of touches that makes this an outstanding place.

Room Tip: They all have great views
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Bruxelles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2012

Very nice place and the staff is very helpful. That is really so quiet. Far away from the business city so stressful of Kampala and so many places in the world. The trekking to go and see the gorillas is nice, but not easy. That is anyway worth the 3,5h climbing journey. Back to the lodge, the cottage is so relaxing, countryside to watch is quite nice as well. One of the most beautiful trip I have done and I did many !!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Accra
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2012

Many people have already raved about the location so I'll just say "I second that". Incredible views from the main lodge and an outside couch that me and my girlfriend spend hours on one rainy afternoon that inspired so many great thoughts. I was blown away by the customer service - everyone was incredibly helpful, friendly, and courteous…we came back from Gorilla trekking with muddy boots and left them outside our room to let them dry and when we returned from dinner the staff had cleaned them like new. The food was amazing and despite our dietary requirements that most places struggle with, the chef created customized meals for us that rival most 4 star hotels in the US. We had some extra time to explore the area and they drove us around to a few of the local spots. All in all, an incredible place and highly recommended!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Mahogany Springs? Share your experiences!