“The gorgeous staff cancel out any negative” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Lake Kitandara Tented Camp

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bwindi Impenetrable National Park
Lake Kitandara Tented Camp
You added Lake Kitandara Tented Camp to your Saves list
Buhoma | Bwindi Impenetrable Forest National Park, Bwindi Impenetrable National Park, Uganda   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
joancollins69
“The gorgeous staff cancel out any negative”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012 via mobile

As part of a tour package to see the beautiful gorillas I took up digs here. The mounted tents are a little worn but presented in lovely gardens & platforms. The room is spartan but the huge bed clean & warmed with a hot water bottle. No electricity but youre welcomed to recharge in the office. The shower is hand held and in the rear of the tent which is open & makes u feel like u really are in the mountains. Pressure so so but hot water runs. Everything smells & feels damp (not the bed) but you're in a rain Forrest! The food was amazing and catered to my veggi ways. The staff were just brilliant so kind & caring & welcoming they really make this place memorable. They even made my 40th bday the best bday ever by dressing up making me a cake & all singing happy birthday to me. I loved them for it. The manager Moses is just lovely.

• Stayed September 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Miami
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

I can't say enough about such a wonderful stay at this camp. The rooms / tents were spotless, bathrooms worked great, hot water and the staff was superb! Food was excellent and plentiful, and the team that worked there couldn't do enough for everyone in our party. Location is excellent, just a 5 minute walk from the walks. Boxed lunches were great. Don't listen to previous reviews that are not positive as this is an excellent place to stay!

Room Tip: Get a room in the middle of the camp, not to close to kitchen or reception
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2012

I stayed at the Lake Kitandara camp for three nights last week and am deeply saddened by the previous reviews.

Firstly my opinion of the camp - it is in a great location in the centre of the village, the tents were in good order and immaculately clean (definitely no mouldy odour in my tent), the bed was comfortable and the staff were extremely courteous and helpful. The tents are positioned up a hillside so yes, there are steps to climb - but people are generally in Bwindi to trek so surely this shouldn't be too much of a problem?! My tent was by the restaurant halfway up, so sitting on the verandah in the evenings looking out over the mountains, listening to the children singing in the village below was just lovely. The hot water did take a while to come through as it comes from a tank up the hill - just leave the hot tap running for 20 minutes or so while you go and have a drink on the verandah and it'll come through.

Each of the previous reviews has reported on various problems. I have no wish to fall out with anyone on here but I do feel the need to respond to the complaints that have been made previously.

- Theft: unfortunately this can happen anywhere (try living in London!). The staff were always around and at no point were any unauthorised people within the camp. I found the Ugandan people to be incredibly honest - my friend unknowingly dropped his Rayban sunglasses in a field and two hours later towards the end of the walk, the guy that found them found us to return them. These people work desperately hard for very little money and so he could have easily sold them and we would have been none the wiser. Yes its a shame that someone had some of their clothes stolen but I'm amazed that the person then fought for compensation - for clothes? Did he not walk out of the campsite at any point and see children dressed in rags, working very long hours to pay for their own schooling? I'm sure the price he demanded back for his clothes would have perhaps paid for a childs attendance at school for a term or more. It puts it into perspective.

Noise: aside from a couple of solo travellers, ours was the only group staying in the camp so we had no problems with noisy neighbours and had a very peaceful stay - but again a noisy bunch of guests can happen anywhere on any campsite. I always take earplugs whenever I travel - they take up no space or weight and are far more effective than a pillow stuck over your head...

Food: the food at Lake Kitandara was very good, fresh and plentiful with three courses prepared from what was available locally, and a very substantial packed lunch for our trekking days. You won't go hungry. To complain that the food was 'boring' I find highly disrespectful - again did this person not walk through the village and see how little people have got and how hard they work to feed and educate their families?

This is rural Uganda where the local people have so little and yet work so hard to make tourists feel welcome and enjoy their stay. My experience was that it is an incredibly beautiful region with polite friendly hardworking people and amazing wildlife. There is true beauty in the world, if only people would open their eyes and see it.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Prague, Czech Republic
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2010

I've just returned from wonderful 2 weeks in Uganda. I know it's Africa so I didn't expect the same quality of service like in Maldives or Mauritius for instance and I'm OK with this fact. Bwindi NP and gorilla trek especially was something out of this world! Simply one of the most impressive experince in my life. But I can't say the same about Lake Kitandara Tented Camp at all. As I said I'm OK with the temporary discomfort and this camp was really uncomfortable. Very old and wet tents with mouldy odour made my sleeping a bit problematic.

However the bigger trouble is the absolute absence of safety (there are no locks on tents! even if you have your own lock you can't use it because there is no loop; we pointed it out after our arrival and we were told it's absolutely safe there) ! One guy from our group was robbed when we trekked to see gorillas (his lock on luggage was broken and some clothes was stolen)! It can happen. I agree. But then the management must take resposibility which wasn't the case there. The guy reached compensation in the end but after hours of waiting, disputes and police assistance. To be honest without our tour guide who has really good reputation in Bwindi I doubt we would reach any result.
Go to Bwindi, go to gorilla trek but avoid Lake Kitandara Tented Camp and choose different accomodation !!!

• Stayed November 2010
Herradura, Costa Rica
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2010

This place was great, if you don't want to sleep well. The location is great, the rooms have amazing views, the food is acceptable. Service was good during the day. Our second night there, one tent was having a huge, drunken party. Not sure if it was staff or guests. It woke me out of an exhausted sleep, and when my husband went to look for a manager to quiet them down, he could find nobody. this party went until like 2 in the morning and was so loud, I could hear it with pillows over my head. It was HORRIBLE. I would never, ever recommend this place to anyone or stay here again. They need to get night security or new management.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Preston, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2010

I stayed here for 3 nights while visiting the Gorillas in Bwindi. The camp consists of about 22 permanent canvas tents with en-suite bathrooms (toilet, basin and bath with shower). The tents have outdoor seating areas and have great views of the valley. Each bed has a mosquito net and the staff put an hot water bottle in your bed each night (although it's on the equator it's at altitude and so cold at night). I've stayed at a few "camps" around africa and the accomodation here is very good. The location is great ~ less than 5 minutes walk to the Buhoma entrance to the park. The camp has a bar at the bottom and a restaurant half way up the hill. This brings me on to the layout; the tents are on a steep slope and the climb up to the tents at the top is hard but good training for gorilla trekking. The tents at the top got running hot water quickly where as those at the bottom had to wait along time (30 mins plus) for any hot water. We were full board and although all the food was OK it was abit tame. Rice, potatoes, veggies and a choice of two meat/fish dishes for dinner. Breakfast was taken to order and cereal, toast, tea and coffee were available. The staff were all very friendly and helpful. Batteries can be charged in the bar since the tents don't have any sockets but at least you don't need an adaptor for Uganda. There are a few souvenir shops just outside the camp gate in Buhoma and I was pleased to see that the shopkeepers although friendly they weren't OTT about it. Since I was on a group tour I don't know if the camp represents good value for money or not compared to other accomodation in the area. AND yes I did see the gorillas!

• Stayed February 2010

Been to Lake Kitandara Tented Camp? Share your experiences!