“Stylish and Comfortable” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Parkwood

Save Saved
You added The Parkwood to your Saves list
The Parkwood
5.0 of 5 Guest house   |   72 Worcester Road | Johannesburg, Randburg 2711, South Africa   |
Ranked #3 of 44 Randburg B&B and Inns
Austin, Texas
“Stylish and Comfortable”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

This was our first stop on our recent trip to South Africa. This is a really beautiful jewel box of a hotel - a wonderful welcome after 30 hours of travel. The rooms are spacious and luxurious. We had a sitting area and a private, enclosed outdoor shower in addition to the soaking tub. Our traveling partner did not have a sitting room, but still had a large, comfortable and luxurious room and bath. The heated floors were welcome in the winter morning cold.

We arrived late and left early, and I wish that we had more time to enjoy the property. There are a number of courtyards, patios and pools to enjoy, and it was so tempting to curl up with a book and enjoy the morning. Breakfast offered both hot and cold options, and the hot breakfast was outstanding.

Note: there is no kitchen service available in the evenings. Plan ahead or pick something up if you're planning a late arrival. The property is tucked away behind fences and with a security guard.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

26 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Cape Town
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2012

The Parkwood Guest Lodge, quietly yet conveniently located in a secure peaceful location in Johannesburg, yet close to the interesting shopping and restaurants of Parkhurst, Rosebank and Parktown North was a perfect base for us. In a lovely garden setting with on-site parking, lovely indoor and outdoor public areas, and excellent breakfasts.Our accommodation was superb. A spacious bedroom and bathroom with every amenity, was coupled with a private walled garden and an outdoor shower. Hospitable and helpful hosts ensure that we will return as this is both good value yet stylish.

Room Tip: Room 6 had direct access from the parking area, yet we had privacy, loads of space, and access to a...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Vermontville, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2011

We were very impressed with the level of both service and accommodation at the Parkwood. It is a series of small buildings/units on a lovely property, rather than a house, which gives more privacy and quiet. The rooms are very nicely decorated, and well laid-out, The beds are quite hard, but we found that in most places we stayed in South Africa. Also, the heater was noisy at times, but I am very sensitive to noise.

The location is excellent and we walked to Rosebank Mall several times. They arranged taxis for us at night to go to dinner. There is a security guard on the premises 24 hours so we always felt safe. We would definitely recommend this as an alternative to staying at a traditional hotel.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2010

The Parkwood is one of the most beautifully designed hotels at which I've ever stayed - it really is quite something. Rooms are huge and extremely comfortable; ours had a wonderful bath, shower and outside shower, and a lovely outside area in which to sit. The attention to detail is extraordinary - little jugs of fresh milk in the communal fridge to take to your room, fully-equipped fridge with everything one could want, bath crystals in a dish with a scoop - like going to a spa! Breakfasts are delicious and everything is spotlessly clean. Nicky is extremely helpful and friendly, going to extra lengths to offer us another room in which to shower if we wanted, after checking out. Can't believe she could ever be arrogant as one previous review suggests. If you want a gorgeous place to stay in Johannesburg, look no further! Highly recommended...

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Woburn Sands, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2010

We stayed at the Parkwood for a couple of nights after being on safari. It is stunning. The rooms are large and we had a seperate living room. It also had a marvellous outdoor shower. It has very a peaceful garden to relax in - although the pool, as with most in SA, is not very warm! The Parkwood is within a 10 minute walk of Rosebank shops and restaurants. It is partnered with a few local restaurants who will send a complimentary driver to pick you up and drop you off after dinner.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Johannesburg, South Africa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2010

I live in Johannesburg and booked a room at The Parkwood for a visiting colleague for a week at the end of April. The location - round the corner from my house - was my primary consideration, but this venue looked like something special.

Since I live so close, I thought I would pop past to check it out first (I pass it 3 or 4 times a day while taking my kids to school or heading out to that part of town) and fill in any necessary paperwork instead of just anonymous email contact. Numerous attempts over the past week to see the reservations staff in person were unsuccessful - my timing was obviously off, but being just around the corner, I didn't think much about trying again.

Today however when I went past I was kept waiting in my car outside while the security guard went inside, then returned to get my business card before disappearing again. After 10 minutes I met the owner - still in the street sitting in my car - who told me there was no record of my reservation and that they did not hold my booking because I hadn't confirmed it with a deposit. She also told me they were now full.

While - to be fair - they are STRICTLY correct, service is an attitude, not a strict rule. Perhaps mistakenly, I would have expected a courtesy email or call to say that they could not hold the reservation any longer. I certainly was never made aware that my booking was so tenuous.

I might have excused this as a miscommunication or simple misunderstanding, and would not have written this review, had the owner not sent me a rude email telling me it was my fault, I had dropped the ball, and how dare I accuse them of being unprofessional.

An unfortunate arrogance surfaces when demand is high and customers can be ignored as easily replaceable - but like the property boom of a few years ago, demand cannot always be taken for granted, and customers don't forget bad service (nor does the Internet ;).

The service ethic is not dead, but is sadly not always where you would hope or expect to find it.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
Sade7274, Owner at The Parkwood, responded to this review, April 27, 2010
We are really sorry that this person took such offense to our strict security. We dont allow anyone to enter without prior knowledge of the visit which is very much appreciated by our guests. An enquiry was made two weeks ago and we duly emailed a reservation form with a note to explain what was required in order to secure the booking should he wish to .We did not hear from this gentleman again and naturally assumed his plans had changed.We had no knowledge of his attempted visits as he did not leave a calling card, give us a call , send us an email or try any other form of communication. This is unfortunate as correctly no one is busy enough to ignore any bookings and we certainly dont do that. One has to assume that someone would persue a request which they have initiated and have been replied to on.
Impersonal...not being allowed into the property unannounced.....this may well be seen this way but we cant apologise for keeping our security tight. I can only apolgise for seeming arrogant in my defense of this gentlemans onslaught but feel that his anger was misplaced under the circumstances.
Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2010

Every experience with the Parkwood was fabulous, from the reservation process to the checkout. The B&B is magnificently appointed - gorgeous in fact. The grounds are equivalent to a classic country mansion with fountains and impeccable landscaping, and the rooms are just as perfect. Dean and Sarah are wonderful hosts, and their staff wonderfully attentive. I won't stay anyplace else in South Africa.

My ONLY disappointment before I arrived at the Parkwood was the location - it was about 45 minutes away from the airport. HOWEVER, once I got here and experienced everything the Parkwood had to offer, I couldn't imagine staying any place else - no matter how short my stay in Joburg was.

Truly a magnificent experience - all around. I just can't say enough.

While there is no restaurant on the premises, there is a kitchen for the chef to make an amazing breakfast. The B&B is so accomodating, with a fully-stocked supply of plates, glasses, etc. to make a luxurious setting for any food you may have delivered.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
Sade7274, Owner at The Parkwood, responded to this review, April 25, 2010
There is nothing quite like the reward of praise to spur one on to greater heights. Thank you!

Been to The Parkwood? Share your experiences!