“One of the best” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Johannesburg, South Africa
“One of the best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

We often eat out locally and internationally, the food and the experience is one of my favorite! I highly recommend The Meeting Place Upstairs in Simons Town.

• Visited December 2013

Gordon's Bay, South Africa
“Good Start to the day”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2013

Out on a trip to the Point discovered The Meeting Place. Called in for Breakfast. Great view, friendly and excellent service, appealing presentation and the taste to tantalize any taste buds.
Perfect start to a day.

Westcliff-on-Sea, United Kingdom
“So disappointing......”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

Visited The Meeting Room Upstairs on Friday evening - it was our last night of a months stay in SA, and of 10 nights in Simon's Town. Soooo disappointing. We'd booked a table on the balcony, which had lovely views towards the harbour. That's really the only good thing I can say about the evening. Not a very comprehensive menu, so I asked if there were any 'Specials' on that night. The waitress just shrugged, and walked away with a throwaway 'Its all special' over her shoulder. She eventually came back for our drinks order, but was obviously not impressed that we'd brought a bottle saying 'You know we charge corkage?', then disappeared again. The restaurant seems to double as a bar in the evening & there seemed to be a birthday celebration going on, this kept the waitresses fully occupied with drinks, and the food customers were obviously a nuisance. Food came eventually, but just plonked down. Quality, poor. Presentation, poor. Value, poor. I asked to see the dessert menu & was looked at as if I had two heads! There didn't seem to be one, & was told 'I can only offer you ice cream or a piece of chocolate tart'. I had the ice cream. Three scoops (fair enough) but just set in a white soup bowl. No thought, no decoration, not even a trickle of sauce - so boring. Wished I hadn't bothered. Eventually asked another girl for the bill, as our girl had disappeared & it arrived after a long, long wait. No one came to take payment, so eventually we took it to the bar where we waited like a couple of lemons while they were serving/chatting with the drinking crowd. Seemed we were invisible, so waved the wallet & left it on the counter. Poor meal, awful service, and not impressed to have cockroaches scuttling round my feet, either.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa
“Awesome views, fabulous food and superb service!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

My boyfriend and I went for brunch. I had Patagonian calamari with chips and salad and my boyfriend had Kingklip with potato. We also ordered orange juice each and shared a slice of dark chocolate tart. Every meal was superbly prepared and absolutely delicious. My calamari was cooked to perfection, our orange juice was fresh and our favourite was the chocolate tart! So rich and creamy. There were other customers in the restaurant but our waitress made us feel like we were her only customers and every item or meal was brought to us efficiently and effortlessly. Tomato sauce is placed on your table upon ordering a meal which I LOVE because I always have to ask for it. Both waitresses on duty were so friendly and welcoming. I would recommend this restaurant to anybody!

Cape Town Central, South Africa
“A Warm Heart in Simonstown”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

I was impressed at once by the decor - lovely soft pastels put together in an attractive and comfortable way. Nothing has been left to chance, as will be apparent to anybody with an eye for informal design. The food was just what we wanted at lunchtime, 2 of us had battered fish & chips and they were presented with a pretty salad and tartare sauce. The third member of our party had a Meze Meat platter, which was varied and nicely put together - something more substantial for a man and he loved it. Staff were approachable and friendly at all times. I will definitely return to this special place.