“Spent years planning to do it, now I can't wait to go back!” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: Join shark expert and naturalist Rob Lawrence for a personalize true shark experience.Certified "Fair Trade in Tourism", we offer eco-friendly shark cage diving and great white breaching trips in Simon's Town.Small groups only Scuba Diving offered with no dive experience needed. A truly amazing experience.
Lowell, Massachusetts, United States
“Spent years planning to do it, now I can't wait to go back!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

Diving with great whites always seemed like one of those things that "other" people did to me. You had to have special skills or know somebody who knew somebody. But then I discovered a thriving industry centered around this very thing, and anyone could do it!

I started planning and researching six years ago! And finally last year, I made the reservations. ASEC was the company for me, and it was proven time and again by their always courteous staff who answered my email inquiries in a timely and professional manner (no matter how inane or bothersome my questions might have been), to doing everything they could to reschedule my trip that was delayed due to inclement weather.

The crew is knowledgeable and friendly, and even though they see it (nearly) every day, you can tell they they all still get as much of a thrill out of seeing the sharks as you do.

As I said, I spent a lifetime wishing it was something I could do, six years planning to do it once I found out that I could and after all of that, I can't imagine that anyone could have done a better job at helping me live my dream as ASEC.

Visited July 2013
AIRJAWS, Owner at African Shark Eco-Charters, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Thank you for your wonderful review, and we are so glad that all the years planning, paid off. Its great to see such an enthusiastic guest.

Chicago
13 attraction reviews
“Bucket List Experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

We kicked off our honeymoon last month with a tour through African Shark Eco-Charters. Sure, it wasn't super romantic, but it was certainly an experience we will never forget. Watching the sharks conduct natural predations as the sun came up was as if we were living "Shark Week." The boat's crew was knowledgeable and friendly, and while we didn't see sharks in the cage, we can hardly hold this against the company. They're wild animals, after all, and therefore unpredictable. It was an amazing exprience!

Visited July 2013
AIRJAWS, Owner at African Shark Eco-Charters, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Thanks for joining us and for your review. We are glad that you had a great time and saw some amazing predation activity.
Buffalo, NY
14 attraction reviews
“We rented the whole boat for a large group and they didn't disappoint”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

July of 2013 we rented the boat for exclusive use for 10 people. Upon showing up in Simons town and parking the office for African Shark Eco is directly net to the parking lot on the lower level beneath a second story fish and chips joint. While my family ate I took care of paying for the excursion which was smooth process. We then proceeded for a short walk down the pier where we boarded their power catamaran. It should be noted that these dives only operate seasonally out of Simonstown (think South African Winter, when shark season is peak. If off-peak (summer) you can check ops out of Gansbaai).

Boat:
The boat is well appointed with a bathroom, plenty of room to walk around and a roof top deck. One of the nicest things about the boats coming out of Simons town is the group sizes. In African Shark Eco's case this is 9-11 people MAX. In prior outings in Gansbaai we were with 20+ people and it was not as enjoyable.On the 20-30 minute ride out to seal island we were given a safety briefing, the equipment was explained to us and we were offered snacks and drinks.

Dives:
We quickly got on a few different sharks and were putting people in the cage. The tour operator provides wet suits, boots, hood and snorkel mask. One of the distinctions here is that African Shark Eco uses scuba regulators and compressed air. This is a huge advantage as you can stay underneath while breathing compressed air instead of doing breath hold. Everyone on our boat got the chance to go more than once if they wanted and stay down for a good length of time. Some of the encounters were very close with the sharks hitting the cage, a real rush. Everything was handled efficiently, safely and professionally by the crew.

Wrap-up:
African Shark Eco is a good choice in Simonstown for white shark encounters with a large clean boat, underwater scuba regulators/compressed air (no scuba cert needed) and a professional crew. Make sure you bring your swim trunks and a good underwater camera with a wrist strap.

Visited July 2013
Thanks very much for your detailed review. I am glad your group had a good time with us and the amazing great white sharks of False Bay.
Dallas, TX
5 attraction reviews
“Exceeds expectations in every way!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

We had an absolutely incredible tour with African Shark Eco Charters last month! Upon arriving in Simon's Town, we were promptly greeted by a crew member and shown to the boat. After a short boat ride, we were at world famous Seal Island, where we saw multiple sharks breaching and hunting seals. It was amazing! The crew was very knowledgable and professional and were able to answer an questions we had. After watching the sharks hunt, we had the opportunity to get in the cage with them. They provide clean, dry wetsuits and only put two people in the cage at a time. You can also choose to snorkel or use a scuba regulator attached to oxygen on the boat. Many companies claim that noise from the scuba gear disturbs the sharks, but this definitely did not seem to be the case! Everyone who got into the cage saw multiple sharks at a close distance, and we all agreed using scuba equipment allowed us a better view of the sharks since you don't have to stay on the surface of the water. You feel very safe the entire time. It's an incredible experience that I would recommend to anyone visiting Cape Town or the surrounding area!

Visited June 2013
AIRJAWS, Owner at African Shark Eco-Charters, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
WE are so glad that you had a wonderful time with us. You guys were fun to have aboard. Using scuba diving on a cage dive is BEST, and glad you experienced it for yourselves.
Mount Airy, North Carolina
13 attraction reviews
“Excellent Trip!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

Rob and his team were very helpful and enthusiastic about ensuring everyone a trip of a lifetime. We did two days with African Shark Eco-Charters and had a wonderful experience. Cage diving with air was a much better experience than having to come up so often with snorkles! A trip of a lifetime!

Visited July 2013
We are glad you spent two days with us as it gives you a good feel of what the sharks are up to. We were very happy to have you aboard and glad you also used the scuba and saw that its the only way to experience your cage dive.