“Setting versus service” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
in MA
“Setting versus service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

Perfectly situated but the service was so slow it was annoying. I realise it is fall/winter there and maybe they are not fully staffed, but they were very busy. I received a recommendation from my tour guide and was disappointed that due to the slow service and my tight time frame, all I had time to do was eat and meet my tour with no time left to explore the waterfront area.

Once I had sat at a table, it was a good ten minutes before anyone came to take a drink order and bring me a menu. I wanted to leave but as my guide recommended it, I didn't want to. The fried hake fish and chips was very good and the portion size was perfect.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Johannesburg
“Tasty food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

Went for our Anniversary dinner and found this little Gem! Service was great and even had the manageress come to our table and wish us for our special day. My husband had the best steak I have ever tasted (basted to perfection!) and I had the spicy but delicious prawn curry! Their recommendation of the cheese cake was out of this world! Romantic flickering of lights from the harbor makes this an ideal spot for the restaurant. Definitely going back next time we are in the area.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Paignton, United Kingdom
“Feeble fish”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

Their setting is still one of the beautiful ones, overlooking the harbour and yachts, but somehow it just isn't what we remember from years before. It really can only be summed up as a bit bland - we expected much better tasting, fresher fish and were disappointed as what we received was comparable to Ocean Basket's feesh and chips, only at twice the price. The waitress was sweet though.

Visited May 2013
Cheongju, South Korea
“Wasted potential”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

Bertha's has I'm afraid squandered possibly the most ideal setting for a successful restaurant in the Cape.

By forgetting the locals of Simon's Town over the years, they have lost a key segment of the market whose patronage could have bolstered them to the status of a four or even five star restaurant -Oh yes, provided they clean up their poor service by hiring the right people for the job and train them up well.

The range of the menu is impressive but leaves much to be desired in terms of value for money.

Visited April 2013
Kommetjie, South Africa
“Stunning setting with good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

Relaxed atmosphere with a stunning setting overlooking the Simon's Town harbour. The seafood was delicious and fresh, and I had a very pleasant experience with my friendly waitress, Anoria. Will definitely be back!

• Visited March 2013