We used Mountain Lodge as a stopover for our journey from Amboseli to Samburu. The lodge is a very old school, wooden property and feels just amazing to live in. Our rooms were a bit cramped though and the triple we got didn't feel like a triple. It felt more like a twin with a third bed thrown in. That said, it's a nice place to just relax. There's birds around all day and right outside our rooms was a view to the waterhole. We also had a great balcony from which we could view the genets at night. The lodge has created a game viewing tunnel to see and photograph the animals that come to the waterhole and I can imagine that would be quite productive at times. I was a little disappointed by the baiting though. It seemed like a lot of animal behaviour had changed because of the bait. For example, the genet cats came each night to find the piece of meat the resort staff tie up for them on the platform. Similarly the floodlights changed the behaviour for the slaty flycatchers who were now active at night trying to catch the insects that the lights were attracting.
The food was decent, but like other Kenyan lodges, they kept forgetting my meal preferences.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located at 2,194 metres on the slopes of Mount Kenya, Serena Mountain Lodge is surrounded by a dense rainforest that comes alive at dusk with a myriad of sounds that make the African bush so special and exhilarating. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Despegar.com and Orbitz so you can book your Serena Mountain Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Serena Mountain Hotel Mount Kenya National Park
- Serena Mountain Lodge Kenya/Mount Kenya National Park