“Hidden luxury minutes from Fayetteville and springdale.” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #2 of 19 Hotels in Springdale
Russellville, Arkansas
“Hidden luxury minutes from Fayetteville and springdale.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2010

One of the best night's sleep. Rooms were elegant and clean. Staff was very accomodating. Beautiful grounds and wonderful continental breakfast

• Stayed September 2010

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Little Rock, Arkansas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2010

My wife and I booked one of the theme suites (the Disney Suite) at the last minute for a weekend away without our three children. When I read about the suites online, I called to check availability because, of all the suites, the Disney Suite sounded most unlike our taste. The person who answered the phone informed me that, unfortunately, the Disney Suite was the only one available for our dates. He assured me, however, that it was very tastefully and comfortably decorated. On his assurance, I booked the suite.

Upon arrival, we could not have been more disappointed. Initially, the decor seemed to be the biggest drawback. In my opinion, a Mickey Mouse shaped headboard surrounded with makeup lights is not tasteful. Regardless, we were prepared to find the decor not to our liking. As we would find, it was simply the tip of the proverbial iceberg.

To summarize, here are a few things we found unacceptable:

1. As mentioned, distasteful decor.
2. Dirty room (pubic hair and urine spots on the bathroom floor).
3. Antiquated shower runner upon which I cut my toe.
4. Wall patches that were clearly not painted to match.
5. Light streamed under and around the door such that, when the lights were off, it appeared as if a rectangular shaped nightlight were switched on.
6. Room key repeatedly didn't work.
7. The rear projection television (yes, you read that correctly - a rear projection T.V. in a so-called luxury hotel) was in a corner of the room away from the bed. In order to watch T.V. from the bed, we would have had to sit on the edge of the bed. The compromise seemed to be an incredibly uncomfortable couch placed in front of the T.V.
8. Condescending staff (more about this below).

We honestly would have overlooked any one - possibly two - of the above. But, on the morning after our first night, as the items kept adding up, we decided to speak to the front desk clerk. When we did, he simply managed to add insult to injury.

He offered to, "of course," check us out (because there was not an alternative room available). But, he said that we would be charged for our second night because of a 24 hour cancellation policy. I told him that, not only were we leaving and not using the room for the second night, we would not be charged for a second night because we didn't get the benefit of the luxury suite for which we had bargained. Almost implying that the poor state of the room was our fault, he told us that he wished we had said something the night before. He continued to insist that we would pay for our second night unless the room could be sold. I continued to insist that we would not and, after several more minutes, I asked to speak to the manager.

Fortunately, to his credit, the manager was more reasonable and agreed to refund our first night's charge and not charge us for the second night. Perhaps unnecessarily, I told the desk clerk that the manager had just saved the hotel a poor review on Tripadvisor. To which he responded curtly, "We are the number 1 hotel for Fayetteville on Tripadvisor." I said, "Nevermind."

Regardless, I hope folks don't read this and think that I'm a complainer. I'm genuinely not. In fact, I've traveled quite extensively throughout the United States, Europe, Asia, and South America. I feel like I understand what a good value in a hotel is. And, in fact, I don't mind to spend money on a luxury hotel (e.g., the Grand Prince Hotel Akasaka in Tokyo, the Cavo Tagoo on Mykonos, Hotel de Crillon in Paris, the Ritz on Maui). But when I do, I expect luxury accomodations. The Inn at the Mill is not luxury.

In fact, I've used Tripadvisor for years, and find the opinions of other traveler's invaluable when making travel decisions. Until my experience at the Inn at the Mill, I hadn't bothered to actually join and write any reviews. But now I feel that I owe it to all the wonderful (and even not so wonderful yet appropriately priced) hotels I've stayed at over the years to write reviews. And I plan to do that.

For now, though, please learn from my terrible experience and don't waste your time or money on the disappointment waiting at the Inn at the Mill.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
NW Arkansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2010

If you ever stay in NW Arkansas, book the Inn at the Mill in Johnson, AR. It is the state's top rated B & B (the only one in Arkansas listed in the Small Luxury Hotels of the World) due to it's marble bathrooms, plush bedding, high quality furnishings, very upscale on site restaraunt, and best of all-- complimentary wine and cheese parings every night of your stay. We were served local goat cheese with Chef Miles' herbs from his garden with white wine for our first paring followed by a surprisingly smooth blue cheese with a tangy red wine (parmesean slices were also a nice touch). Many B&B's offer complimentary hors devours, but few offer complimentary wine and caviar as this one does (yes, I said complimentary caviar was offered by Chef Miles James for all diners when we were at James at the Mill-- the top restaurant in the region). Pricey, but worth it.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
lizardlips48
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2010

Traveling to Fayetteville strictly for business, and luckily happened upon this inn while searching for last-minute lodging. Their summer rates were a great value, but the service and quality made it an unbelievable deal. Large rooms with sofa and refrigerator, perfect beds with fine linens, utterly quiet in the room despite the easy proximity to the interstate and businesses, fresh-baked pastries for breakfast from the fine restaurant (and good coffee), fresh fruit and beverages out all day, wine & cheeses in the evening, and free strong wireless internet. What more could you ask? Well, how about the friendliest, most accommodating desk staff that I've ever encountered? Or the absolutely fantastic dinner at James at the Mill restaurant (breads, salads, quail, lemon tart with fresh blackberry sorbet, wine) with exceptional service for a price under $50? All in the ambience of creative architecture with the sound of flowing water . . . Remington sculptures in the lobby . . . I just couldn't make this stuff up!!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Ozark, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2010

We were pleasantly surprised by the beauty of the hotel, the people were fabulous, the room was clean, comfortable, nice linens, pillows and an amazing shower! We were just in for one night, but would love to come stay longer.

The restaurant was amazing, can't wait to get back! Only problem, when we requested a cab to take us to downtown Fayetteville, they called a limo service....needless to say the price when we arrived was twice as much as it should have been!

Oh well, everything else was perfect.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Tampa Bay
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2010

I've traveled all over the country (stayed at 5-stars) and the 2 days at the Inn at the Mill was by far one the most relaxing and enjoyable stays ever! It was quaint with all modern amenities, great linens, comfortable beds, wonderful breakfast with fresh squeezed juice, wine and cheeses - you get the idea. ALL of the staff were fantastic and went out of their way to assist you! Mary Ellen is the best! We had never been to Fayetteville, Arkansas and I found this place on TripAdvisor and it is a winner! Did not want to leave. The property is pristine and very Frank Lloyd Wright-ish. AND THE RESTAURANT...I believe it is the only 5-star in Arkansas and it is hands-down the best cuisine I have ever had! Chef James and his team are fantastic - dinner was an incredible experience. I will be flying back from Tampa Bay FL JUST TO STAY THERE AND HAVE CHEF JAMES MAKE ME DINNER!!! Seriously was that good! Thanks to everyone for making a great trip to Fayetteville even more special! Eva :)

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
Palm Harbor, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2010

This small, elegant Inn was absolutely perfect. We were greeted by Mary at the front desk who was absolutely delightful and courteous! The room was a perfect size and extremely comfortable. I didn't want to leave! All staff (front desk, chambermaids) were so polite and very accommodating. Anything we asked for, we received; directions, additional room supplies, recommendations of things to do in the area. Extemely loved the hotel restaurant "James At The Mill"! True 5 star dining with the chef and his staff cooking right in front of us. The food was tremendous, the best I've ever eaten! I highly recommend this lovely Inn to anyone staying in the Fayetteville area. Will definitely go back again!!

Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Springdale
TownePlace Suites Fayetteville North/Springdale
Comfort Suites Springdale
Comfort Suites Springdale
#8 of 19 in Springdale
4.0 of 5 stars 78 reviews

Been to Inn at the Mill? Share your experiences!