“Sub-Standard Marriott Property” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 16 Hotels in Russellville
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
“Sub-Standard Marriott Property”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

Spent two weeks here in Feb '13. I spend half the year in Marriotts across the US, and am usually very pleased. However, this Fairfield is one of the worst Marriott properties I've seen.

First, at check in I was told there wasn't an upgrade for the duration of my stay. No big deal: I understand that such things are situational. But then they give me one of the smallest rooms in the hotel, perhaps the smallest. I immediately searched Marriott.com for a suite at the same hotel and was able to book one for the duration of my stay. I went to the front desk and told them I was displeased with the room, and gave them the reservation number for the suite, which they booked me into. Of course, there was no explanation provided for the initial 'we have no suite available' statement.

The suite was suitable, but had a leak that popped up during some bad weather. Based on the appearance of the ceiling the leak was old. Didn't bother me, but it did illustrate the state of part of the hotel. The front desk called that night and offered to move me to another room. I declined.

The internet is terrible. They actually have two wireless services, and both are sporadic and relatively slow. The TV channel selection is decent (they have TCM, a rare thing) but the picture quality is poor (non-digital I presume).

Maid service was just bad. rare vacuuming, even rarer table-wiping, sloppy bed making, and no attempt to tidy up. A co-worker came back one afternoon to find the door left open via the swing-latch. Unbelievable.

As in almost all Marriotts I've been in, the front desk employees were courteous and friendly. The problems in this hotel stems from mismanagement and infrastructure neglect, which seems to be the most common cause of sub-standard Marriotts (The Goshen, Indiana Courtyard and the Marrietta, Alabama Courtyard are both perfect examples of this: Front desk employees were great but could not overcome incompetent management and property neglect)

The exception would be the maid service, it just seemed bad. But even that comes down to management in the end: management should periodically inspect rooms to confirm that standards are maintained and remind employees of their obligation.

Of course, the Fairfield is the only Marriott property in Russellville, so Marriott point junkies like me just suck it up.

Room Tip: Get a room that faces south: a room in front will be flooded by the huge lights shining on the hote...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013 via mobile

As a seasoned traveler(100+ nights per year in a hotel), I look for reliability and quality. I stick with brands I know and trust. After a long drive, I don't want surprises, especially bad ones. This hotel delivered for me. Marriott quality and class. All the things you look for in the brand. Clean, modern, comfortable, and no surprises. Good solid hotel!

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Cleveland, Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

We stayed here about a year ago and it was a "lucky find." This year wasn't quite the same story, but I can't really fault the hotel for noisy guests that let their kids run WILD in the room above us! I did visit the front desk and they were willing to move us. I declined since my family was already asleep, but they did call up to try to quiet them. The staff was great overall. I think the hotel is starting to show some wear. The pool was fine, hot tub was ok. I don't think it was running properly, but it was ok for a quick dip.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

The Hotel was good bargain. Breakfast was a continental, but quite a few options. Pool was indoor and the kids (6, 4 and 2) enjoyed it. The Hotel was quite and very easy to get to. Researched alot for a cheap stay on our way to MO and thought we were getting a cheap hotel. exceeeded our expectations. We had 2 queen beds and staff was quick to get us extra pillos and blankets for the kids and make recommendations for area. Everything was clean and staff were very nice.

Room Tip: We stayed on first flood west side and had adsitional door to exit vs thru lobby.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Middletown, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

We had to stay at this hotel unexpectedly because of construction delays. I would recommend an improvement in the cleanliness of the bathroom and ensuring that the breakfast items are better stocked. Nice clean bed and comfortable.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Wilmington, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

It was an average Fairfield Inn, The room was clean enough and it wasn't too dated. The staff was friendly. If I remember the alternatives I would most probably stay there again if I stopped in Russellville again (not too likely). Maybe a little pricey for where it is

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Grapevine, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

When I stay at any hotel, I always ask for a quiet room away from elevator and stairs. Kudos to Fairfield Inn for honoring our request. My husband and I stayed for a reunion and were happy with the second floor room.

Firstly, the layout of the King room is one of the best we've stayed in. The bed is separated by a closet and a half wall from the TV watching area. The bathroom is at the front by the entry door, so you don't hear the shower when someone else gets in there early morning. All of which makes for a quiet room.

The pillows and king bed were comfy, and we slept well. Breakfast was typical, except for the excellent waffles.
My only complaint was that twice we were unable to use our keys to get into the rooms, since they mysteriously didn't work.

Room Tip: ask for a middle room.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Been to Fairfield Inn & Suites Russellville? Share your experiences!