“Location Location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Petra Guesthouse

Save Saved
You added Petra Guesthouse to your Saves list
Petra Guesthouse
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   P.O. Box 30 | Petra gate area, Petra - Wadi Musa, Jordan   |
Ranked #7 of 35 hotels in Petra - Wadi Musa
Australia
“Location Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

You can not stay any closer to the entrance of Petra. Its not uncommon to walk 20km in a day around Petra, so its a relief to stagger straight into your motel room when you are done or (if you're inclined) into the bar when they have cold beer on tap.

The room was nice enough, everything functional, the room/decor perhaps like staying with your Aunty, homely but perhaps not what you'd choose.

The Cave Bar is worth a look, its not everyday you can 'have a quiet one' in a 2000 year old tomb.

Wi-fi is pretty average (and not necessarily included)

(Another Jordanian) very good and comprehensive breakfast buffet. Staff/service all good.

The location is a winner.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

350 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
  • Arabic first
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

I liked this hotel and found the staff quite helpful and courteous, but it could look at it's gender diversity which I am sure will add some additional service quality improvements.
Location - Perfect, for what we wanted, right at the front entrance to Petra and close to the downtown area.
Feel and Comfort - It is a mix between new, ancient and 70's. The reception area, restaurant and above hotel look newish, whereas the outside courtyard with Cave Bar have an ancient ambiance. The hotel rooms built onto the rocks have a design and colour scheme reminiscent of a 70's motel. The rooms in this part were reasonably clean (but could be improved), comfortable and spacious.
Food and Beverage - Nice cold beers, reasonably priced, we did not eat dinner here but breakfast was average, in variety and taste. We really like the Cave Bar in the evening, just sitting and relaxing here as the sun went down was nice.
Check-in and out - This was ok, but I could not book an additional night when I checked in and had to come back in the morning, and then was told I had to move rooms (next to the one we were in). Why I could not have this room in the first place is a mystery and this was a bit inconvenient, and it meant having to pay two separate bills.
Internet - This was free, but only for one device per room, however, the staff got sign in for second device without charge (as it should be).
All in all we enjoyed our stay here for what it cost, which was quite reasonable, so, I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
San Francisco
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for 2 nights - as arranged by my tour company -in June. Having looked at the website in advance of my trip, I was fairly excited but unfortunately the excitement was short lived. I was a woman traveling on my own. The upgraded room out with the main hotel was meant to be a bonus but I never quite felt safe. Anybody off the street could have walked up to the room in the middle of the night. I could hear footsteps/voices of other hotel guests, which is true when you stay in any hotel, but there were two windows looking onto the pathway and therefore the voices/footsteps were amplified.

Setting aside the security though, the key issue for me was the cleanliness of the bathroom and lack of response from the management. Upon check in, i had noticed that there was sand on my bathroom floor. Fine. No big deal. However, later that evening when I was about to go to bed I thought I'd weigh myself on the bathroom scales (go figure!). As I was about to step on I noticed there were hairs on the scales. Further inspection would show that it was pubic hair. It was late, so I thought I'd report it in the morning and it would be addressed. I did report it in the morning and got the sense that the management played lip service to it. And sure enough, after hiking in Petra for 9 hours, I came back to find that the bathroom had not been cleaned. In fact, my room hadn't been serviced at all. Upon check out, another manager asked me about my stay and I relayed the story to him. He kindly removed my internet charges as a way of apologising but to be honest the damage was already done.

For the above reasons and the fact that the food wasn't that great either, I would recommend staying at the Movenpick. It looked lovely, it had a pool and it was less than 5 mins walk to entrance of Petra.

Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

We stayed here two nights during our Jordan tour. The service is subpar and the food is terrible. We were offered dinner buffet with our hotel cost and we only ate there once as it wasn't appetizing at all.

There was an issue with understanding internet charges. At first we were told that the internet charge is per room so multiple devices can be connected for one charge. After purchasing the internet for our room, we realized that you must pay per connection (not per room). The manager on duty was nice enough to 'try and help us' but according to him this was the first time he had anyone complain about this issue - ironically, as he was telling us about this, another guest came up with the exact same problem. The solution was to give us one free access until midnight (which meant about 3 hours) and then he would figure out a permanent solution during his management meeting in the morning. We never heard from him again.

The location is nice but not worth the poor service and food quality. I would personally never stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

This hotel is literally right next door to petra with some parts of the hotel actually being inside Petra grounds. Staff were all so helpful and couldn't have done more for me! (I lost my phone charger and they made every effort to find me a replacement.) Room was very spacious with all modern amenities and very tastefully decorated. Breakfast offered a large selection to choose from and dinner menu was also very nice and reasonably priced. Arrival drink of lemon and mint didn't look too appetizing but was soooo nice (I'd never tried it before.) From what I gathered this hotel was part of the Crown Plaza group but didn't seem to have the same price tag. Room was very reasonably priced and I couldn't have asked for anything more. Everything was perfect!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Hamilton, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

This must be the ideal place to stay when you visit Petra in Jordan. The name might suggest a simple establishment, but in reality the Petra Guesthouse is a small but first class hotel.

Access to Petra Guesthouse is demanding of cars and a real challenge for large tour buses as it is approached via a narrow driveway between souvenir stalls. Reception and restaurants are tucked up against the hillside and the ‘Cave Bar’ was a Nabatean tomb 2000 years ago. From the piazza in front of the Cave Bar, steps lead to the guest rooms.

My room was spacious and well-appointed with a large flat-screen TV, minibar, desk and lounge chairs - presumably to relax in, but they were not very comfy. The bed however was comfortable and very large.

My only complaints were that the light switches above the bed didn’t work so I had to get out of bed to switch the light off or on at night. Also the bathroom had a stuffy smell.

But its location is the Guesthouse's key asset. It is adjacent to the gate leading into the Petra complex so could not be more ideally positioned.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

I was at first a little hesitant about staying at this hotel due to many fairly negative reports, but I am very pleased that I allowed the travel agent to guide us. This was a fabulous place. I took advice and booked into the chalet room which is away from the main hotel and has an outside corridor so you feel as though you are not inside a building, which of course, you are not! Nice view from there too. Our room was enormous with 2 double beds and a single and still room for a couch, large dressing table and tea making spot. bathroom was large. The breakfast was lovely- plenty to choose from. As has been said before, the location is excellent as you are right at the entrance to Petra, although remember that it is a 2 km walk from the gate until you reach the Treasury! The Cave bar is a real treat - we sat outside enjoying the balmy weather and fresh air and our waiter Ahmed was such fun and very helpful in getting us the meals we wanted with a few alterations!

Room Tip: I would choose the chalet type rooms any day but there are many up and down stairs to climb as this...