“The best price/quality ratio in Wadi Musa” 4 of 5 stars

You added The Orient Gate Hostel to your Saves list
The Orient Gate Hostel
Petra - Wadi Musa, Jordan   |
Bologna, Italy
“The best price/quality ratio in Wadi Musa”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

We've been guest of the hostel for one day the last week. We arrived in the morning and the receptionist allowed us to leave
our luggages in the room. A great deal, thinking that we would have been walking under the sun of Petra for the next 10 hours.
The hostel/hotel is small but comfortable, we could define it family managed. An affordable price for rooms big enough to let live
3 people for a couple of days. The view from the terrace of our room was amazing. The whole room was clean and well kept,
waiting for the next guests to come. A good price/quality ratio - 26 jd including the hostelworld fee.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
San Francisco, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

pros:
-fairly clean
-near the bus station
-affordable
-got a free upgrade from a double twin to a double twin en-suite with balcony (nice sunset view every night:)
-free morning drop off to the Petra Archaeological Park (coming back is at least a 20 minute walk, uphill, you can get a taxi for one dinah, bargain with a smile)
-near a variety of affordable restaurants
-the nice front desk guy was mostly charming and helpful, always asking how we were and booked us a bus after checking times and availability (with pick up in front of the hostel)

cons (all staffing)
-the not so nice front desk guy snarls at you every time you pass him in the lobby
-when we asked Mr. Snarly when a bus was, he snarled "7 am" and waved his arms around in some vague directions when asked where the bus stations was located (Mr. Nice Guy was the one to call and confirm the time, 8am, reserve us tickets, and arrange for pick up at no extra charge)
-Mr. Snarly insisted that we were responsible for our own transport to the Park at two dinahs (when their profile clearly states that transport is included) and taxis are just one dinah
-Sadly, when Mr. Nice Guy asked how our stay was and I replied that there was no warm water for the past three days, he gave me a LONG lecture on how it was far to hot for ANYONE to shower with anything but cold water right now as it is summer. He got quite angry when I suggested that this might have been nice to know before hand (cold showers feel great mid-day but its too cool in the evenings, beware and shower during the day!)

Overall, Orient Gate is ok if you are just looking for a cheap crash pad while exploring Petra and can ignore moody staffers, one of which wants to pocket your taxi fare.

Room Tip: West facing rooms on the top floors have great views of the sun setting over the surrounding hills a...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Poole, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2012

I booked in for a week. It's not the Ritz but certainly a good budget option to staying long enough to see the historical Petra. It is about 2km to the entrance of Petra archaeological site itself and from there another 40 minute walk along the Siq to the Treasury Building and all the other sites. A taxi is only 1JD so not really a problem. The room was OK but could have done with a TV as there isn't much to do at night in Petra town. Service OK and I booked my enjoyable Wadi Rum trip through them so I can recommend that too. A stone's throw from the bus station and cheap restaurants.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
IPOH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2011

I stayed at Orient Gate for 3 nights (5 - 7 Dec 2011). I made a booking via the hostel's website, which is very easy. I arrived at the hostel when its already dark, after a 9hr package ride from Amman (visiting many sites OTW). I was already tired then, but the hospitality that I received fr the hostel staff made the tiredness go away. They give me a welcome drink (a choice of coffee or tea). I booked for a double room with shared toilet, but was given a room with toilet ensuite without having to pay extra. The room was nice and cosy, and the heater functioned well. The hostel also has a kitchen which I use everyday. They give a free ride to Petra site as mentioned in their website, but coming back you will have to pay for the taxi yourself, which is okey since it cost just 1JD.
The gem of this hostel is definitely Mohammed, the receptionist. Not only he is very funny, friendly and lots of info, he is very helpful as well. He helped me arranged the bus to Wadi Rum for no extra charges (the bus fare is JD5). He also helped me to call Zedane (the person I booked my Wadi Rum tour with) to confirm about my date of arrival. He also helped when my travel partner's camera was not functioning after accidentally fall at Petra by taking us to the camera shop and talked to the shopkeeper about the problem (its going to be a problem for us to explain it to the shopkeeper since we cant speak arabic). If we stayed at other place, I am very sure the receptionist would have told us the direction of the camera shop, and we had to find the shop ourselves. Even though the camera's problem was not solved, Mohammed's help is very much appreciated. Another staff at the hostel, Sayed is also a very nice guy. He spoke limited english, but understandable. He is very funny as well bcos he always seems to talk to himself.
Should I visit Petra again, I would definitely stay at this hostel, and without doubt, I would recommend this hostel to anyone visiting Petra. It is really worth your money.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2010

This is an OK place to doss. We stayed one night but we had a difference of opinion with the manager on agreed rates. The rooms were OK with showers. If you have one night to pass in Petra and can't find something beter, this is OK, but I would look elsewhere first.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2009

We stayed in the Orient for four nights while we were in Petra. It was clean, and being painted while we were there. We found all (but one, see below) of the staff very helpful, and I would be happy to recommend others to stay there. We had free transfers to Petra, but had to make our own way up the hill at the end of the day. Lunch boxes (3.50 each) were good value and saw you through long days at Petra breakfast and Turkish coffee was also very good. The view from our room over to Petra was a real bonus!

The only caution was one member of staff, Ramadan, who had a tendency to say that prices were higher than they were (i.e lunchboxes were 3.50 if you asked the manager, 4 if he was telling you about them), and he accidentally (sorry, no italics here) sold us tap water rather than bottled water...

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Bilbao
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2009

First, when we got to the hotel it was full, but we weren't notified of it until one hour later. The owner told us that we would be accommodated in a better and more comfortable place, which we would love, out of the hotel. After having waited for two hours (after a 7h trip), we were driven to an old building 20min away from the centre, and the room had nothing to do with what we had booked. It was a dark room with no window; the bathroom was old, rusty, small and dirty. We politely expressed our disappointment, and the man who had driven us starting shouting at us and treated us with very bad manners. When we got back to the hotel, the manager took us to another hotel (Cleopetra, great!!!) for one night and we had to come back to the tower gate the next day. Once there, the manager started saying bad things about me (since I was the only one speaking English) and he even said he didn't want to see us next morning. The unique thing we have to thank to this hotel is to have put us in touch with the cleopetra hotel, whose owners became our family for a while in Jordan.

Been to The Orient Gate Hostel? Share your experiences!