“comfortable and clean” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 95 Hotels in Bansko
greece
“comfortable and clean”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

we spent a weekend at hotel lion bansko in mid january. first time we stayed there we booked it online and arrived in a maddening blizard late Fri evening. The service was excellent- they helped us get our things of the car and provided us with sandwiches and fruit (we had missed dinner). The room was awesome- huge and clean with cooking facilities and place to leave our skis, and we had only paid for a normal two bed room. The only quite disappointing thing was breakfast- certainly no 4* by any means- but I guess there are not many places you can enjoy a decent meal in Bulgaria.. Last, transport service to the slopes regular and free. We'll definitely stay there again

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Greek first
Sussex
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

We stayed for 2 nights, visiting friends who were staying here on a package skiing holiday. They had a good sized room but we were lucky enough to be upgraded to a huge apartment. It was clean, fresh and had everything we wanted.
The lobby bar/cafe was a nice place to sit. If the prices were dearer than in other cafes in Bulgaria, if you think this was a large hotel in a tourist area at the height of the season, we didn't feel it was dear at all! It did get busy in the evening. The buffet dinner was nice, as was the breakfast. Maybe not exciting choices, but what there was, was well prepared.
We liked the fact that there was optional private parking. It did cost a bit, but it was worth it.
The leisure club looked nice. We didn't use it but our friends used the pool and enjoyed themselves very much. It all looked clean and not too busy.
We can't praise the staff too much. Everyone we had any dealings with were friendly, smiling and obliging. Nothing was too much trouble. We have particular praise for one of the girls at reception who really went out of her way to help us with a problem we had at our previous hotel.
We would, and almost certainly will, go back again.

Room Tip: Try not to get a room on the first floor and the right side (as if looking from outside) because if...
Cambridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

My partner and I decided to book our snowboarding holiday in advance. We have only recently taken up snowboarding for the past year at the indoor Milton Keynes snowzone where we have had lessons. We thought it would be an ideal place to go and practice our skill.
We chose Bansko, Bulgaria because all the reviews online suggested that it was one of the best places for beginners. I have to say, overall, we were not disappointed with the location.
The Hotel Lion was clean, presentable and the staff were helpful. On arrival we were greeted with a glass of wine and we were not waiting long at reception before we could access our hotel room.
On booking we were told that we would have a 'small room' although it did seem fairly spacious. The only downfall was the sloping ceiling so you had to be careful not to bang your head! I have to admit that this did happen to me (only the once) so I would recommend asking for a larger room if possible! However, we were not in the room much due to all the activities we wanted to do during our holiday! There were nice views out from the velux windows in the room.
The bathroom was sufficient and there was always hot water available for a nice bath or shower. There was excellent heated towel rails in the bathroom so if you needed to dry any clothing it was pretty easy to do and would be dry by the morning. There was good cupboard storage available for clothes in the room. The room was very warm although we had to main windows which could be opened to cool the room to a comfortable temperature.
The room we stayed in was on the fifth floor and it was quiet the whole time we were there.
The room had a television with remote control, mini bar and telephone which worked fine.
During our stay, we had booked half board. The food was adequate for breakfast; at least two choices of cereals, white and brown bread for toast, different jams and honey, mini croissants, fruits (sliced oranges, kiwi and apples) and different cold hams and cheese. There was also eggy bread, fried/scrambled eggs, mushrooms, hash browns, bacon and sausages. There was also some cooked pasta. The only trouble was that the temperature of the breakfast let it down, it would often be luke warm, maybe because all the items were cooked in advance and kept in the hot plates.
The food was also adequate for dinner and there was a wide range of meat dishes, rice and assorted salads. For dessert there was fruit, cakes and sometimes yoghurts. Again, luke warm.
One evening they served stuffed vine leaves which was delicious. The food overall was tasty, just not served at a very high temperature, although you get used to it.
The swimming pool and whirlpool was good. The facilities were clean and towels were provided at the pool side if you didn't have any with you. Good change/shower facilities downstairs for afterwards and pool side toilets and showers.
We visited the spa at the end of our trip for a neck and back massage, 35 LEV for 25 minutes and it is highly recommended. There are many other treatments available although we did not have much time as we were on our last day and needed to leave later for our coach transfer to the airport. The staff made you feel relaxed and eased out our aching muscles! Very good value for money and as a couple we had our massage done in the same room.
The Lion Hotel free shuttle bus was excellent and provided regular 15 minute shuttle runs to the Gondola. This service was efficient and the staff were helpful although the walk was manageable if preferred. They take a lunch break for an hour in the middle of the day.
Overall, we would strongly recommend staying at the Lion Hotel, Bansko, Bulgaria as it is close to the Gondola for skiing/snowboarding and main street for shops/restaurants, staff are helpful, it is clean, there is adequate food and good facilities. Excellent value for money.

We are already planning our next trip in advance to go back to the Hotel Lion!

We loved our holiday and we cannot wait to return. Happy holidays!

Room Tip: Try and get a larger room, one without a sloping ceiling.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Cairns, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

I have just returned from a week's stay at Hotel Lion and I can honestly say I was very impressed.The hotel was extremely clean, warm and the staff friendly, in particular the restaurant staff who were very attentive and helpful. I had read some reviews prior to my holiday and there were comments surrounding the quality of the food and the choice available. For a skiing holiday I would say that the food available was perfect for a week of physical exercice - carb tastic! Hot and cold selection that seemed to cater for all different nationalities. Filling, hot and plenty available throughout the week I have no complaints.
The shuttle service to and from the gondala was v handy and ran everyday. The only problem I had with the holiday (which is no fault of the hotel) is the time it takes to get up the mountain in the morning as the queue for the gondala was ridiculous.
The spa as well was v good after a day on the slopes however it can get a bit cramped down there so try to avoid the peak times. Overall I was very happy with the hotel and can certainly recommend this to anyone going on a skiing holiday.

Room Tip: Our rooms on the 3rd floor (307 and 309) were not above the nighclub located at the bottom of the ho...
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

I booked up the Hotel following good reviews on Trip advisor. The Hotel was clean at a U.K 3 star standard. This is the first Negative review i have ever written. We stayed at the Hotel from the 2nd of February to the 9th of February 2013.The lovely ladies that cleaned the rooms and the drivers to the gondola were really kind and friendly. However the food was cold uninteresting and of very poor quality. The last day the breakfast was so cold we could not eat anything and the eggs looked as if they were warmed up from a previous sitting. I would not recommend staying at this Hotel at all considering you need good food to make the most of your ski holiday.

Room Tip: Hotel Quiet
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

I decided to go to Hotel Lion after friends had given it such a good review last year. Now let me just say, I genuinely am not someone that leaves reviews or complains, in fact, this is a first for me as I wanted to make sure people don't make the same mistake as I.

The Hotel is actually very clean and the staff are friendly. Rooms are okay for what you need and are cleaned everyday. The Hotel offers a free lift to and from the Gondola, which is run extremely well. However, I can't continue with anything nice to say, as that is it.

I happened to be put on the third floor of this Hotel. Upon arrival at 23:00, we were entitled to a late meal, which did the job, but the food was very poor (and I'm not a fussy eater). I assumed this was due to the fact that is was a late meal put on for new arrivals. After eating and looking forward to decent nights sleep after 9 hours of traveling, I was soon introduced to the sound of bass leaking through the floorboards. At this time I lived with it, fell asleep and assumed it was a one off.

The next morning I went for breakfast and found that I couldn't even attempt to eat the stuff, the beans were cold, the food was caked in oil and I was left with some cereal, oh, with warm milk.

After a full day of boarding, I came back to the hotel and relaxed in the bar, joined the free wifi only to notice that it was like waiting for a old 56k dial up modem. The chances of actually getting onto the WiFi was slim and the speed was pathetic.

In the evening, I once again attempted to eat the food which I'd paid for in my half board Hotel payment and once again didn't even load my plate with food, due to the fact it looked horrific. For the rest of my holiday I went out and paid for food, breakfast, lunch and evening meal as the Hotel Lion food is disgusting.

Finally getting to sleep, I heard the loud bass sound piercing through the walls. This went onto until 4am. The next day I found out that a night club was underneath the Hotel, this explained everything. On the Thursday the club stayed open until 7am and people were outside my room window, drunk & shouting.

If this hotel improved their food, their WiFi service and obviously removed the ridiculous night club at the bottom of the hotel. I'd easily of given this a 5 outta 5. But with the lack of sleep during the whole week, not eating the food i'd paid for and racking up a 02 3G bill 'cos their connection was that bad, I'm afraid the Hotel Lion can only be given a 2 outta 5.

Room Tip: Ask for top floor, floor 6. I had friends on this floor and they seemed to get a better wireless con...
Paignton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

Been to Bansko before but stayed in a different hotel. The Lion is perfectly clean, friendly and met all of our skiing needs. The "jacuzzi" and pool was a tad cold, but the staff openly said it was not a jacuzzi. The steam room and sauna again perfect.

The food was edible, but got a bit repetitive, although carbs are just what you need before a day skiing. The drinks were a little expensive and would recommend the market up the hill for bottles of water and snacks.

The rooms were a good size and we had a lovely view of the mountains. People in the corridor at night were a bit noisy, and walking back from the 'clubs' you could hear them outside - the window was open though.

I wouldn't rule out staying at this hotel again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to LION Hotel Bansko? Share your experiences!