“worst vacantion! bad services!” 1 of 5 stars

Vihren Palace Ski & Spa Resort
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Str. Pere Toshev 2, Bansko 2700, Bulgaria   |
Ranked #38 of 96 Hotels in Bansko
Constanta, Romania
“worst vacantion! bad services!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2011

i'm never come back here. we stayed in R part, the mean we have to walk so much ( up and down the stairs) to arrive at restaurant or front desk.
the staff of reception was very rude and nothelpful.
there are few towels at the pool, my husband and my boy werw cut on the leg inside the pool.
the food was very bad and every day the same, not very fresh. the milk and the juice were more water.
in the room, who haven't carpet ( some of them) all think are unworkible and old, the bathroom is not confortable. in the room, surface cleaninghas been done and i must ask for toilet paper.
the bed from the living room ( we paied for 3 tickets) was very unconfortable ( like a S) and i had back pain morning , after a night in this bed.
there was a lot of dust everywhere. 4 STARS? NO WAY!!!!
pt turistii romani: bulgarii ne-au tratat f prost, ne-au dat apartamentele cele mai proste, erau la acelasi etaj si apartamente cu covor si mobila noua, frumoasa. s-au purtat f urat. am fost f dezamagiti. am asteptat o jumatate de ora sa aduca prosoape la piscina. nu faceau curat in camere, nu schimbau prosoapele. de lenjerie ce sa mai zic, ca n-au schimbat-o deloc in 7 zile. NU VA RECOMAND ACEST HOTEL ORIBIL!!!
I WILLNEVER RECOMMAND THIS HORRIBLE HOTEL , WITH BAD STAFF AND BAD SERVICES.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Thessaloniki, Greece
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2011

I have stayed in a great number of 4stars hotels and this is definitely not a 4 star hotel. First of all the photos of the hotel are misleading, what you see is far from what you get. For example the size of the lobby and rooms is much smaller from the sense you get by observing the photos. The staff is untrained, impolite and hardly speak english. The quality of breakfast is poor and the swimming pool is very cold. In addition the beds do not promote a good sleep. Last but not least they tried to bill us beverages from the refrigerator that we didn't drink. The prize is extremely high compared to the quality of the hotel. The only positive of this hotel is its very good location.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
Bucharest
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2011

Good evening, Water, please, not to mentioon other requests. In the bathroom, everytime we took a shower, no matter how much attention we paid at the shower curtain, the water would spred to the bathroom floor, so we had to use a lot of towels in order to clean the mess. i guess there was a leak in the bathtub.
the food: Oh, the food... Very, very bad! the breakfast consisted in different types of salami, cheese, vegetables and a louzy omlette - which looked more like a soup than a meal. horror! and you could barely name that coffeeI have spent my winter holiday 2010-2011 (Dec 28 - January 2nd) at Vihren Palace Ski&Spa Resort with my boyfriend and a goup of friends. The experience was terrible. First of all, we went to Bansko for skiing, but there was lack of snow (not their fault) and was very very crowded. The hotel room was pretty large and clean, but i wouldn't rate it at a 4 star hotel, maybe just 3, according to international standard. la hotel lobby was very small, considering we were a group of 8 and we barely had place to chat in the evening. Tha staff is kind, but this is because they don't speak any foreign language. we tried to talk to them in english, but they didn't understand a word! not even Hello, Good Moring,
The Dinner: as bad as the breakfast. the first night, they served among others beef tongue. on the second night, the same beef tongue, put in a salad. the third night, the same beef tongue, in another salad... gross! few dishes of food, with chicken, fish and pork, but pretty modest.
Beware of the tavern Bulgare! we went there in out first day and there was bad food and very very expensive. we also went there for the New Years Party and it costed 97 Euro/ person! The music was horrible - only bad bulgarian folk music, with louzy singers. Awful! And the food... nothing interesting but they left us speachless when they brought plates with salami! ON new years' eve!!!!! What's wrong with these people???
Not to mention: on the road to Bansko, the bulgarian police stopped us for an invented reason and we had to pay them 20 euro to let us go. the same thing as we were driving back. same "fee" of 20 euro. the bulgarian police is the most corrupted of all!
I forgot to mention the spa: so and so, not too clean. better not.
I'll never go to Bansko again, in fact, never Bulgaria again! Not even in transit!

• Stayed December 2010
Sibiu
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2010

We spent 5 days here and the only think we were sorry is that our stay was too short. The apartment was all new, spotless, spacious, we had more than we needed, the food was excellent, I was on a diet and I found everything I needed, my husband is kind of picky with food but he was more than satisfied, our 4 years old sun, also. Only few dishes but tasty. The prices inside the restaurant were more than reasonable, the pool was not as warm as I like, but, really the water was OK, and we took bath every evening and we loved the fresh bar near the pool. The stuff was polite and kind with us, we had really great time ! I run a travel agency and I intend to recommend this hotel to my clients with no doubt.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2010

Stayed here a couple of times, the last was in January 2010 for a couple of days skiing. Plus points...The best thing about this hotel is location, location, location! You're under 100m from the gondola, close to the "Happy End" apres bar, close to a couple of ski hire shops and a shortish stroll into the old town (10-15mins). As a skier I prefer to be as close to the lifts as possible when I'm kitted up with my boots, skis etc; in the evening pull on my walking boots and stroll into town. I had a look around the spa and it looked very good and the prices very reasonable compared to UK, however cannot attest to quality of treatments. Apparently there is a creche service here too but I never saw any children in it (too busy skiing!) Good sized carpark for those driving up from Sofia airport (or wherever).
Minus points...Variable customer service from one member of staff to the next, mostly fantastic but occassionally grumpy and disinterested. To be fair this seems to be endemic across the whole of Bulgaria.

In summation, if you are going to Bansko I'd stay either here if you are after somewhere that is comfortable, convenient and good value; or if you have pots of cash then the Kempinski is the place for you.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo
Southampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2010

I had a brilliant holiday staying in this hotel. The receptionist was very helpful and phoned up or ski hire place for us to help us sort out our ski hire as we couldn't find the shop we were renting our ski's from. She gave us directions and the staff of the ski hire were waiting for us when we got there. the bell boy was very helpful carrying our ski's to the locker room which was a huge help when yo have three children. We got the complimentary minibus up to the gondola station which was stress free. The spa was wonderful especially after a day skiing.
I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
kent
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2010

I have travelled a fair amount both in Europe and USA, one thing I have learned is that different countries have different standards for the same star rating, my review reflects this.
The Vihren Palace is a modern and comfortable hotel with the ameneties you would expect of a spa hotel.
I found my room to be clean with a good bathroom, but not as good as a uk or Western European 4 star room.
The food was the usual bulgarian buffet style, perfectly edible and with reasonable choice, "do not expect western standards, this is after all eastern europe", however on 3 nights the meal was in the mehana under the hotel, on these occasions the food was better and on two of the nights was cooked to order, breakfast is a buffet and included hot and cold choices with a good variety with something for all tastes.
I found the staff to be polite and helpful, the belboys in particular were always able to give directions.
The morning minibus to the top of the gondola station was a very usefull service that prevented waiting in a queue for the gondola up the mountain in the mornings, and returning from the mountain the hotel is only a 5 minute walk from the end of the ski road.
There is a ski storage room in the basement with heated bootracks.
I have stayed in other hotels in Bansko but chose to try the Vihren Palace mainly due to its location, I was not disapointed, but then again neither was I suprised how good it was.
In conclusion this is a good quality hotel by bulgarian standards, in the Uk it would probably get 3 stars, however, I found it was comfortable with good facilities, it provides all that is needed for a 1-2 week stay.
There have been a few reports/reviews on here that say otherwise, but bad experiences may have been due to high expectations or individual attitudes, i always speak to staff how i would wish to be spoken to and have found that generally the staff in the Vihren Palace to be friendly and helpfull.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo

Been to Vihren Palace Ski & Spa Resort? Share your experiences!