“Better placce , could recommend” 4 of 5 stars

Wilpattu National Park 50220, Sri Lanka   |
Special Price
10% off room rate
Colombo, Sri Lanka
“Better placce , could recommend”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

The chef ( Kingsly) was all out to serve us....no matter of time.....
It was a comfortable & happy stay. It was a family stay in A/C rooms in December 2013. Very convenient location on the main road and easy access to the Willpattu park.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
namali2014, General Manager at Leopard Den Hotel, responded to this review, 1 week ago
,Dear Mr.Gune,

Many thanks for your kind words. As the new management we find this very encouraging

Warm regards,

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Borex
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

Fortunately I stayed only one night there on 6th of november 2013. I stayed in a non ac room for 2500Rp. Cigarette butts under the bed and overall very dirty. Fortunately I had my own sleeping sheet and moskitonet with me.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
namali2014, General Manager at Leopard Den Hotel, responded to this review, March 12, 2015
Dear Daniel B,
We are the new management for Leopard Den Hotel. We came to business later part of 2014. Please do take our sincere apology for the very bad experience you faced here. And we take it as OUR responsibility, and humbly seek your pardon, despite it has been two years. And we wish to inform you that Leopard Den Hotel is under new management and we are working hard to bring it to a standard that would bring our future customers to a much remembered experience.

Kandy, Sri Lanka
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

Stayed in an A/C room on 29 Sept 2012 with wife and 2 kids. They gave an extra folding bed. A/C worked well. No problem with insects due to the a/c. No hot water but not needed as very hot and dry. Room (not tiled) and beds (no bed bugs) were fairly clean but the bathroom could do with a clean up. The bulbs in room and bath were very very dim. Food was delicious. (fried rice with deviled prawns and pork) Picnic breakfast of chicken sandwiches also good. The new Manager Anura was helpful. Given the area and price an average very basic guest house. However found a much better one 3km from the park (LLT safari guest house) with cleaner, larger, brighter A/C rooms, superb bathrooms and less noisy (as away from the main road) for a slightly higher price.

Room Tip: Go for an A/C room
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

I visited Leopard Den On the 10th of June 2012 . As I entered the room I was surprised to get such a good room with a very clean toilet. It was really comfortable. I started having meals from dinner, it was really delicious. The staff was really friendly and was always at service. The following day morning I went on a safari , was really great . the vehicle was so silent as a result I could spot four Leopard s and one Bear . The driver was superb and knew how to handle the vehicle when the animals were around.

I don’t expect more from a safari hotel !!!!!!! This will my main place to stay when I visit Sri Lanka Next time.
John Scott – Liverpool
United Kingdom

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
idaho
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2012

This place made me sick! There's bed bugs! No hot water and unclean food. Avoid it....I am a local and know that areas like this you do not get luxury specially if the purpose is wildlife.Having said that if the place is dirty and can make you sick just b'se of the uncleanliness then avoid. You can live in your vehicle and it's better than this place.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Dear nip m,

Kansas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2012

Please be cautious when you visit this hell hall! I am normally very conservative when doing reviews on places I stay..becuase you have to take the area into consideration when providing reviews. For example there not much you can do about the water quality or mosquitoes when visiting certain areas.

The problem with this place if for one thing its absolutely unclean. It's run by crooks. I paid RS15800 for two days and paid through an agency in Colombo. Not knowing that I had already paid the guys at the hotel gave me a bill for RS20,000 just before checking out! My point is that do not have rate and will charge what ever they feel like. The bed sheets etc are horrible. The morning tea cup smelled like curry. In fact after the first night I just went to the town and had all my meals there.

On the 2nd day one of the works at the hotel forced me to rent the jeep from the hotel to go on Safari and I refused to do so as I had already promised the jeep driver from the previous day for the next day hire.
After that quality and service deteriorated further.

Please think twice before visiting this place. This in my opinion gives a bad rap on hotels in general in the country. It's tough to get luxury in Wilpattu area but this place as I said before is hell run by crooks!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Dear Ranan R,

London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2012

We arrived after a 5 hour drive from Colombo to find there was no hot water available in the hotel. This was known about when the room was bookedm but we were not informed. We asked for a reduced rate but were refused. When we spoke to the owner, he offered a bucket of hot water be brought to the room for us to shower with.

The room and bathroom were dirty, with mosquito's entering the room despite the netting at the windows. the bathroom sink was broken and the electric shower did not heat the water.

In terms of food, we were only offered rice and curry for both breakfast and dinner, despite the website saying that there are many options.

The one positive was the all day safari, the hotel has an excellent Toyota four wheel drive with comfortable seating. The provide lunch was abysmal, and expensive.

Generally, we would advise travellers to avoid this hotel until it has been refurbished or at least thoroughly cleaned and the water system fixed!

Room Tip: Try and book a room at the rear, as the road to the front is noisy and busy
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear docsunil5,
We are extremely sorry that you had to go through this experience. And we take it as our responsibility to extend our apology and despite it is been two years to inform you that Leopard Den Hotel is under new management and we are working hard to bring it to a standard that would bring our future customers to a much remembered experience.

Not to worry the Safari is still active and one of the most popular features here at Leopard Den

Yours sincerely

Been to Leopard Den Hotel? Share your experiences!