“What an absolute disaster!!!” 1 of 5 stars

Calodyne Sur Mer Resort & Spa
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Mirabel Avenue, Coastal Road, Calodyne, Mauritius   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Calodyne
Pretoria, South Africa
“What an absolute disaster!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

My wife booked and paid for a week at this so-called "resort" as a surprise getaway for both of us. It was our first trip to Mauritius and will probably be our last, based on our experience.
I dd not have an opportunity to research the venue beforehand because my wife only told me where we were going the day before we left, but I can confirm other previous reviews of this establishment, that very little provision is made for vegetarians. I am a lacto-ovo vegetarian by choice. In other words I eat eggs and dairy products. Besides this issue, the following negatives also need to be mentioned:
1) Housekeeping can take place anytime between 10h00 and 18h00. This might mean taking an afternoon nap on last nights bed.
2) If you are squeamish about sharing your food with flies, stay away!
3) We were booked in on an all-inclusive package, but very few options were included in the so-called "all inclusive" package. Make enquiries before going that route. You cannot, for example, order a meal from the bar menu without paying additionally!
4) There were not enough salt and pepper cellars for each of the tables. This meant that diners were constantly walking between tables to "borrow" salt and pepper cellars.
5) Even though I am a vegetarian, my wife is not. She found the food bland, unimaginative and unseasoned.
6) We got the distinct impression that provisions for the kitchen were "rationed." There were numerous occasions where my wife requested bacon with her breakfast eggs and was told "Bacon finished!"
7) Some days we would get 2 bathroom towels and one hand-towel delivered by housekeeping, and on other occasions we would get one bath towel and no hand towel, or alternatively two bath towels and no hand towels, or any other permutations thereof!
8) They advertise the fact that they have Satellite TV in all of the rooms. This is true but what they do not mention is that five of the six channels are in French and the sixth channel is in Hindi!
9) We were limited to a choice of a single local beer brand, local spirits and local wine as part of our so-called "all inclusive" package. We also were restricted to a choice of four alcoholic and four non-alcoholic "cocktails" as part of out "all Inclusive" package. The cocktails were spectacularly unimaginative and watered-down. One of the "cocktails" was made up of Coke, ice and a splash of lemon! Really????? OH, and we were limited to two cocktails per person per day, one alcoholic and one non-alcoholic, as part of our all-inclusive package.
10) The all-inclusive options, limited as they were, were only available from 10h00 to 22h00 every day.
10) Despite the managements protestations to the contrary, we were advised upon arrival that as part of our package we were entitled to one glass of wine per person per day. What would happen is that my wife and I would go to dinner and ask for a glass of the local wine with our meal. The normal routine would then be that the waiter would remove the "normal" sized wine glass from our table and return with two "undersized" wine glasses containing our requested wine.
11) The free WiFi is much appreciated, but somewhat limited when you need to go to the passageway in reception to get a signal!
12) As far as I could ascertain, the resort was more or less fully booked for the peak period that we were there. Despite this, there were very limited sunbathing/shade options both around the pool and at the beach.
13) The guests who were lying around and sunbathing next to the pool and the beach did not have any waiter servicing those areas with drinks. You had to come to the bar, order your drinks, go back to where you were sunbathing and when you had finished your drinks you needed to take the empties back to the bar and re-order. Absolute madness and a missed opportunity for increased turnover!
14) On four of the seven nights, the entertainment consisted of a variety of music being played by a DJ. However, there was no control over the children and invariably they took over the dancing area until quite late into the night. By the time they were put to bed and the adults got a chance to do their thing, the bar was closed in terms of our "all-inclusive" allowances!

On the evening of the fourth day I had a "civilised" confrontation with the General Manager and the Operations Manager. I was promised that they would ensure that my dietary requirements would be accommodated for the rest of my stay. That promise lasted for about two days. As soon as it became known that I would be very critical when rating my experience at this venue, I was given a cold shoulder and was basically ignored on my last day. I had to suffer the same breakfast that I had for the first three days....baked beans and an omelette with no filling!

The only saving grace for our holiday were the two excursions that we undertook AWAY FROM THE HOTEL!

If you are reading this review and thinking that I am being overly critical with regards to a three star establishment and my expectations, be aware that many issues listed above are really basics that should be in place for any sort of establishment in the tourism industry.

Room Tip: Bring your own citronella candles with you!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
RoseHill
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

Hello,
we had booked to stay some couple of days but after having our first dinner, we finally changed our decision and shorten our stay there.
However, location is great at it is located in the north of the island - usually sunny most of the time. nice room with a separate bedroom which is clean and tidy.
great swimming pool. my daughter aged 2 yrs olds enjoyed it a lot!
great dj as well putting some nice music and again my daughter was the first one to open the dance! lol!
overall i classified it as a satisfactory 3 star hotel. Dont expect too much however!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Chennai (Madras), India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

We had a 4 day/3night stay at Calodyne Surmer. The hotel and picture perfect. It was a perfect place for the honeymooners.Food , service good. Had a private beach.It is a bit isolated so have to rely on cabs. Cab service good. Food costly if planning to eat out.
Rooms were clean spacious. Pool was clean and well maintained.
All in all highly recommneded.

Room Tip: Facing the private beach
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Pretoria, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

Mauritius is a beautiful island and it has the best people! We stayed at the Calodyne sur Mer in Grand Gaube and loved it. The food was superb, service was excellent from all the staff from reception right through to the cleaning ladies. The hotel is set right on the beach so you are able to watch the sun rise every morning and all the rooms face the lovely, huge swimming pool. All the waiters and barmen and the DJ became like family during our stay and we miss them already. We were treated to magnificent cocktails by Vessen who is a very skilled barman and speaks very good English too, he actually takes the time to remember each guest's favourite drink and how they prefer it, amazing! Our waiters were excellent and very quick and attentive. We arrived late on the first night and they were still warm and welcoming and patiently waited on us to get fed. The entertainment was managed by Denis, the great and skilled DJ who kept us entertained and is a very good asset to the hotel and the island in general, he has a wonderful general knowledge of the island and supports local artists and entertainers, such as the Sega dancers, which we appreciated very much, he also taught us some cool dance moves :-) The Spa at the hotel is also worth a visit, the skilled therapist sorted out my neck and shoulders pains in less than an hour and after his treatment even my large intestine problems were gone and I was VERY calm and relaxed! This was the best value for money we had ever spent on a holiday and a hotel and we are already planning a return trip to Calodyne sur Mer.

Room Tip: We had room 112 and it was perfectly located between beach, swimming pool and dining room and quiet
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
ZH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

We live in Zürich, Switzerland and we stayed for 2 weeks in Calodyne Sur Mer and had such a fantastic time. The hotel was lovely, food excellent, and the staff treated us like family! I went with my husband and 3 children, and my kids still miss the staff ( Robin and Jean etc) ( and of course the beaches and pool and hotel)
Would absolutely recommend this hotel, and we look forward to going back one day.
Allison & Daniel & kids

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Curepipe
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

I spent a wonderful weekend in the hotel. That was really fantastic. it is a perfect getaway from everyday routine. I appreciate the helpfulness of the staff who were all very friendly. they make your stay more comfortable. The food entertainment, shows and all nautical activities proposed there are too good.. surely without forgetting the swimming pool..Many thanks to the staff for my pleasant stay there.. special thanks to Mrs Sanjana. I will definitely recommend Calodyne Sur Mer Resort and Spa

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Newcastle
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

Spent a night with my family at calodyne hotel- to be honest it is not a hotel! More like a set of bungalows with a pool and restaurant.
The food was not great. My mum is a vegetarian and the veg option was no good. Breakfast is better than dinner. The drinks eg juice n coffee are of really cheap and bad quality.
Room- we got a family bungalow- this was the only good thing. It was really spacious with 3 bedrooms and a living room/ kitchenette. It was clean but definitely needed some refurbishment.
The decor is of really cheap taste.
Friday night entertainment was really loud music which could be heard in our room. With a 6 month old baby who kept waking up because of it, I had to call 3 times to ask them to lower the volume.
The beach is quite small but it is nice.
Overall I regret wasting my money on this 'hotel'

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to Calodyne Sur Mer Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!