“Definitely going back” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 1 Attractions in Rothwell
Type: Ranch & Farm
More attraction details
Owner description: Providing a great day out in Rothwell, Leeds, our farm has plenty to offer whatever your age. Stock up on local produce, such as fruit, vegetables and meat in our Farm Shop and take the kids for a stroll around the Open Farm where they can feed the animals and learn exactly where their food comes from.All that fresh air can build up quite an appetite - so join us in our cafe for a bite to eat and a nice hot or cold drink.If the kids still have some energy to burn, then the Play Barn is the perfect place for them to let off some steam - so what are you waiting for? Drop by and see us - you'll always receive the warmest of welcomes here at Swithens Farm!The farm offers disabled access throughout and plenty of FREE car parking; we offer discounts for Play Barn groups and we also cater for children's parties too!
17 attraction reviews
“Definitely going back”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2014

This is a working farm with all the typical animals you would see on a farm (plus Brian n Betty the meerkats). They are so tame and my son had fun feeding them carrots we bought for 25p in the farm shop. There is no entrance fee into the farm and its a lovely walk round with lovely views. The farm also had a small but fun outdoor play area with a sandpit and haybales, a trampoline and there was a bouncy castle (all free to use). We had a walk around the garden centre then had lunch in the cafe which is extremely clean and very reasonably priced. There is a play barn with soft play in which costs £3 per child. My 5 year old was in for an hour n a half n thought it was great fun. The farm also has a farm shop and gifts to buy provided by local businesses. We were here for about 3hours in total and lunch aside it only cost us £3 which I think is excellent value. I would recommend going and we will be paying lots of visits over the next few months I'm sure.

Visited March 2014

Leeds, United Kingdom
“Good day with small children”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

Went here for the first time today with my 1 year old and a friend with her 2.5 year old. Generally was impressed. The place was very clean and welcoming and you buy animal feed (no entrance cost). The facilities were clean and spacious, there were plenty of animals to look at. I didn't think the animal pens were particularly small, yes the animals would probably have been happier in open pasture, but then you can't have a petting/feeding area which is fun for young children if the animals are all at the far sides of a field! My son enjoyed looking at the animals and my friend's lad enjoyed feeding them too. We then went to the playbarn which wasn't huge, but was well set out for the space they had, although they could do with some more slides/bouncy things in the baby area. In the outdoor play area there were lots of bikes and stuff, many of which were a bit jaded, but all safe and functional, and both lads enjoyed playing there. Overall a good visit.

Visited March 2014
5 attraction reviews
“Great Outdoors for Kids”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2014

A working farm with animals and indoor playbarn, my children are a bit old for the playbarn but they enjoyed running around and I got to have a rest and a lovely bacon buttie when we went in the café and shop. Bought some fresh bread and they had plenty of things of things to look at. This place is real and its great to see the horses and animals in the fields. Easy to get to and plenty of parking. Entrance is free which is unusual good for a walk and then something to eat.

Visited February 2014
Angela B, Owner at Swithens Farm, responded to this review, March 10, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor. We're so glad you enjoyed your visit. We are a real working farm which encourages children (and adults) to get up close with the animals. I hope you met the new pet lambs and the twin Dexter calves when you visited. We hope you come and visit us again in the future.
“Wonderful Day Out”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

On Saturday i took my 4 yr old daughter to Swithens farm. My daughter absolutely loved the animals especially the cows. It's all she has spoken about since. This is the only place we have been which is free and you can feed the animals. It took me all my time to get her off the climbing frame. We went in to the playbarn & also had lunch in between her playing & having fun. I could not believe the price of the children's meals at £1.95 total bargain !. After we left all she wanted to do is go back to the animals, so surprise surprise we will be back this week in the school holidays.

Visited February 2014
Angela B, Owner at Swithens Farm, responded to this review, February 28, 2014
Thank you very much for visiting Swithens Farm and for taking the time to write a review on the Trip Advisor Website. We greatly appreciate any feedback made by our visitors and constantly strive to achieve the highest quality standards. I am delighted that you have enjoyed your visit to us at Swithens Farm.
“Not as expected”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

Having read a mix of reviews on here I thought we'd gice it a go an see for ourselves.
When we got there it all seemed ok to be honest but as soon as you start to walk round you can understand the bad reviews.
The enclosures of the animals are ridiculously small for the sizes of the animals.
It stated on the walk round there was meerkats, however when got to where the meerkats were suppose to be we found 3 sheep and a pile of rubbish?? I dont ubderstand why the have 5/6 sheep in one small enclosure when there are fields outside that they could be kept in.
The 'play area' for kids was appalling old an tattered little trikes cars all looked rather tired.
All in all im glad it was free because it wasnt worth any money

Angela B, Owner at Swithens Farm, responded to this review, February 17, 2014
I'm sorry you were disappointed with your visit to Swithens Farm. We try to keep some animals inside through the winter months for people to see. There are 4 or 5 sheep in the pens which are last year's pet lambs and are therefore extremely tame and easy for the children to feed. I have taken on board what you say about the outdoor play area and have removed the "tatty" toys. We have put additional signs up to guide people to the meerkats as this week is half term and there will be a lot of people coming to see Betty and Brian the meerkats. The pile of "rubbish" is a pile of rubble as we are in the process of making a ramp up to the meerkats window - at the moment there are steps which young children struggle with.
I'm sorry you didn't enjoy your visit to Swithens Farm but hope that in the future you may try us again.