“Good food and service” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Description: Authentic Indian Cuisine. (Also available is a selection of European/Traditional dishes.) Great Place, Great Food & Great Hospitality..........It's Authentic! A contemporary twist on the traditional Indian restaurant. Serving since June 2010, the venue is well established as one of Midlothians favoured Indian Restaurants. The name "TheCopperBowl" is taken from the traditional Indian cooking bowl "kadahi" which can be found in every Indian home at the heart of Indian cooking. Our offer is simple, honest & authentic food cooked traditionally using fresh and wholesome ingredients. Borrowing from the philosophy of a traditional Indian family, fresh home-cooked food, relaxed and friendly service and ambient surroundings, TheCopperBowl offers all that is great about Indian food, drink and hospitality.
“Good food and service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013 via mobile

I would agree with the last review the food hear is great, I have visited here many time as I work locally. I have never had an issue with the food it's alway been excellent and the staff attentive.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Always a great experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

I've eaten here 3 times, twice sat in and once to takeaway and every time the food has been spot on. I went for a fish curry the last time and it was absolutely excellent. The other bad reviews on here really must have been one off experiences because this place is one of the best Indians i have ever visited.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Worst Indian Dining Experience Ever”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

If you read the Copper Bowl website it says:

"At The CopperBowl, we are working hard to ensure that the customer service relaxed and friendly atmosphere and family culture make your visit with us an altogether pleasant dining experience."

They couldn't have got it more wrong if they had tried.

As it was her birthday, I took my wife out for a meal at the Copper Bowl recently. The last time we were there the service and food were great and I would have recommended it to anyone. Our reason for returning was that we thoroughly enjoyed the full Indian Experience.

However, this visit was the complete opposite.

On entering, we had to hang around until someone noticed us waiting to be seated and when we asked if we could sit at a particular table the waitress reluctantly showed us to the table and without a word walked away leaving us sitting there.

After a few minutes, another young girl brought a couple of menus and without asking if we would like drinks while considering our choice, she also walked away. She returned about 2 minutes later to ask if we had made up our minds and seemed a bit surprised that we had not. I told her she'd not given us enough time to take in the menu and decide and asked if she could come back in a little while. She was pleasant enough about this and walked away – again without asking if we would like drinks.

After a while, she returned and took our order and left – again no drinks offered.

Shortly after this a young lad appeared and asked if we were 'okay' and would we like some 'more' drinks. I told him, no, as we'd not actually had any offered to us in the first place. He brought some.

The first part of the starter arrived (poppadoms and relish) – delivered by our original (sullen) waitress. This was fine but then we had a long wait until the second half arrived which was supposed to be a selection of Pakora and Samosa each but we got only one serving for both of us. These were extremely overcooked and dry and surprise surprise - one of them contained of Haggis (so exclusively Indian)!

Then the real wait started. we waited a full half hour after finishing the starter until the main arrived. Which was immediately disappointing on sight as the portions were tiny (obviously strick portion control going on here). The dish which was Gosht Haleem (basically lamb and lentils) tasted okay but the lamb was well overcooked and dry under the sauce. We also had Peshwari Naans which were overcooked, dry and only slightly warm. Actually, it might have been warm if we could have started eating right away but our waitress totally forgot to give us any cutlery and it took a while to get her attention. Perhaps this was the Indian experience we were looking for – eating with our bare hands as I believe is the custom in some parts of India.

When asked, on finishing this, if we would like a sweet or a coffee, we declined and asked for the bill instead.

The other things I should mention are that the restaurant (on a Saturday evening) was nearly empty with only 3 other couples dining – two of which left shortly after we arrived (8 pm'ish) so why the poor service? Also, shortly after we had ordered, the ambient Indian music which had been playing when we came in was drowned out by a DJ playing 90's hits extremely loudly from a party that had started in the restaurant's function room. This continued throughout our visit.

Add to this our sticky table, the pacing manager with folded arms (probably wondering why business was so poor), the total absence of genuine Indian waiters and staff and it all added up to a pretty miserable experience.

We will not be back and I'd advise anyone else to think twice about it too.

I should also mention that none of the above staff appeared to be of Indian descent in any way. If anything I'd say they were either Scottish or Oriental. I have no problem with Oriental, Scottish or any other nationality waiters or waitresses, its just that we kind of expect to see Indian waiters and staff in Indian Restaurants – I adds to the experience and the confidence you have in asking questions about the food. Our waitress couldn't even pronounce the dishes let alone tell us anything about them.

I'm actually really hacked off as I'll now have to take my wife somewhere descent and look elsewhere for that genuine Indian dining experience. Calvary Club here we come.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
TheCopperBowl678985, General Manager at TheCopperBowl, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Dear Sir me & my team truely appologize for your not so nice experience on this occassion. Its just we struggled with staffing as my other manager was on holiday this weekend and I got stuck with the party on the other side, where numbers increased from 40 to over 55, there by putting kitchen under presure as well. I understand this was none of your business and you should have recieved value for you money spent and thats why I came to you asking if everything was ok to which you said "OK, just give us the bill". Latter I approached the staff who served you to enquire further as I noticed something was not right but by the time you were gone. As you were not happy, probably just wanted to get out of here. Fair enough.
Regarding non Indian staff, this is local business and I think its every business's duty to contribute back to local community by giving business, employment, charity etc. We wish we could do more. And regarding oriental staff she is from north east of India.
We understand that we couldn't meet you expectation and we take complete responsibility for it but Sir I would have appreciated if you could have called me aside and explained your concern, thereby, first giving me chance to fix it there and then instead of straight away putting such damaging review on a public domain. Please feel free to contact me through our website's feedback form and I'll try my best to win you again.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Lovely food, not enough meat!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

We had a lovely meal here, courtesy of a KGB voucher, however the only disappointing thing was e quantity of meat in the two dishes we got, not sure if it was because of the voucher but if we'd paid for them would have not been happy!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
TheCopperBowl678985, General Manager at TheCopperBowl, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Dear guest I want to assure you that we do not treat our voucher guest differently at all which you would notice from other reviews from the people who have used vouchers in past. Our system doesn't allow kitchen to know at all whether customer is using voucher or not. We do not want our guest to be just a number but try our best to convert them into our raving fans.
Hope to see you soon.
Edinburgh
“No Words...just fab.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

First visit. Chose this restaurant to celebrate ma dads 50th as heard a lot about it and you know what, it wa a fab evening. Manager was very helpful with our large group in making selections. Salmon tikka is a "must have". Lot different from our local curry houses in dalkeith. Its not your usual curry affair. A cut above the rest. Got to take my curryholic boyfriend there. Will be visiting again soon.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere