My wife and I stayed at La Cienega for a couple of nights as part of our honeymoon. The long, eucalyptus lined drive up to the historic building was an aptly elegant introduction to the beautiful hacienda. Upon arrival we were greeted by at least 3 rather formal staff members and shown to our comfortable if not slightly sparse and cold room. The room had historic character features such as the fireplace and the large shuttered windows but comfortable luxury it was not. The central courtyard, the comunal areas and in aprticular the hacienda's church are all fabulous and and are reminders of the residence's former glory.
However the service overall wasn't fantastic, the food wasn't particularly great and it's price (particularly the wine) didn't match the quality. This is more of a problem as the hacienda is pretty isolated so alternative dining options are limited.
Overall the La Cienega is a historic and elegant hacienda with lots of character but we felt it didn't quite live up to our expectations or the cost. Having said that we did get to see some fantastic views on both our trip up Cotopaxi and to the stunning Quilotoa lake so this leg of our Ecuador trip was still memorable.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- One of the oldest colonial properties in Ecuador, this 300 year old hacienda is located in the skirts of Cotopaxi, it's made of volcanic stone walls of two meters of thickness. Turned into a hotel in 1982, when it opened its doors to offer the visitor the poetry of a time and the nature of the zone, La Cienega is an unforgettable memory of The Andes. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Tingo, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Odigeo and Despegar.com so you can book your Hacienda La Cienega reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- La Cienega Hotel Cotopaxi Province
- La Cienega Cotopaxi
- Hacienda La Cienega Ecuador/Lasso, Cotopaxi