“Kids and or dogs..” 5 of 5 stars

81 Roy Road, Murfreesboro, AR 71958   |
mcdonough ga
“Kids and or dogs..”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

If you have kids and or dogs this is the place, if you are looking for the Days Inn ,this is not it,4 adults ,1 cabin, close but it worked, 3 nites ,very interesting place and people,animals running around lose,river for a front yard, nothing else close, park around corner..left my wifes wedding rings ..they were returned to us ,fire out front, other people I talked to there all said they loved it ...we did and we will be back asop..let me repeat, this is not the KOA .but a unique place to spend a couple of days, had 2 dogs with us...fishing poles ,canoes ,diamond screens,shovels etc, all free to use,your kids will love it...John and Shirley see you soon I hope...WE HAD NO PROBLEMS WITH THIS PLACE !

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Middletown, Delaware
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

I called this place monthes in advance, the owners were very nice on the phone,I informed them i would be coming to Murfreesboro with my in-laws who needed to be in a cabin with ac.I was assured that the cabin was equipped with ac and their would be no problem.My husband,grandson and i decided on a teepee.We were so excited about our vacation and were aware that the teepee was not gonna be extravagant.I personally enjoy camping and have stayed in tents many many nights so by no means am i prissy,however when we arrived and I saw the place i was shocked to say the least.The cabin did have ac but it was very old and the cabin was to large to be cooled by the size unit that was in it.There were no towels in the bathroom,and the advertised free wifi...what a joke the tv was ancient and the cabin was filthy.Now about the teepee...they should burn them down for 2 reasons....there is active wasp nest inside, and the mold is so thick inside on the ceiling and walls it is definitly a health hazzard.I actually went to the house to inform the owners about the wasp that were swarming in the teepee and the heat in the cabin and i was treated like i was not telling the truth and basically the door was quickly shut in my face.We had paid for two nights for the teepee and two nights for the cabin over $450.00.We left and went to a local clean motel i told the owner where we had came from and he shook his head and said this happens all the time.I was very disappointed in the place and the way the owners handled it.Not to mention insulted that they put on their web site if you are a whiner or hypochondriac...or allergic to bees this might not be the place for you.Well i am none of the above however sleeping outside on the ground would of been safer,at least if wasp were swarming i wouldnt be trapped,nor would i be inhaling mold spores all night.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Shawnee, Oklahoma
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

We went here, not expecting a palace, but at least a decent night's stay....it was not, the tents or should I say Tipi's (not even spelled right) are hot, even though they say they have air conditioning, it's a joke, it never got below 85 degrees inside, and it was filled with wasps. They are supposed to have free wifi, however you have to ask over and over for the password, and then the connection is so low that it's no use anyway. The bathroom never had towels, and take a flashlight because you have to use it at night to get to the bathroom. The doors don't close either. The owner offers no assistance whatsoever, and the decorating of the whole place is eclectic, but an affront to all cultures with fake and cheesy Easter Island heads, to cheap dream catchers, to old time are. The beds are uncomfortable, and if you get the room we had, with the futon, be careful because it tries to fold up and eat you when you sit on it. The TV is old and doesn't work half the time and forget about changing the channel. The lighting is horrible as well.
The only good thing about the place is that it is close to the river and they do have canoes for use at no extra charge. After the first night and the swarm of wasps that invaded our tipi the next day, we got the heck out of there and went to a local motel, much much better and for half the price. I would never recommend this place. If you like camping then take your own tent to a campground, not only will you be more prepared but you'll be more comfortable and have a better time.

Room Tip: The cabins may be better, but only if they are better sealed and the air conditioner actually works.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012 via mobile

Cool experience! Our children really enjoyed canoeing, fishing and the animals. We met lots of nice people during our stay. Our sons fell in love with the kittens and diamond John let us adopt one. He's a wonderful addition to our family. Nice place, thanks diamond John!

• Stayed August 2012
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012 via mobile

My son and I stayed in the treehouse at diamond johns. This was very cool. Now I read some of the reviews so I came prepaird with some Eco spray and a fly swat because one review talked about wasps around the tree house. We only saw two and one was in the tree house but we took care of that otherwise no problems. A little pricey. The AC in the treehouse couldn't cool it enough because it was 104 degrees out. Treehouse great option for late fall, winter or early spring. There is a big screen tv in it with sat / dish tv. There's a mini fridge and microwave in it as well. Sleeps 3 comfortably but could do 4 with a cot. Nice view and very close to crater of diamonds. Even though it was hot, My son and I had a great time in the treehouse. No plumbing in tree house but they do have a bathhouse with toilet, shower and sink. It was clean but again hot. No air in bathhouse. My son also enjoyed their animals. There is no sign where to turn in not did I know where to check in at. First house on right over the bridge. Go to front door and knock. Owner very nice. Overall it was pretty cool. We stayed in a treehouse for $120.00 bucks that had lights, electricity, etc. If you like the outdoors its neat to do. I would like to go back to the treehouse in the late fall. I would recommend that the owners clean off around the outside of the windows to the treehouse. Sits right next to the little missouri river. Place a sign out front stating Diamond Johns. They do have stuff for kids to do. I will go back.

• Stayed August 2012
Baytown, Texas, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

Wished we had been able to spend more time there but got in a little late and had to leave before noon the next day. For some reason a lot of the points in the negative reviews were actually what made the experience fun. Was it super clean....no, was everything fresh and new....no but if it had been it wouldn't have been as much of a memorable experience. It was clean enough and plenty of things to see and do. Our few interactions with the folks there were pleasant. Yes the gem hunt was not a true "hunt" but was designed for young kids and they got a kick out of it and John was super kind to the kids, he even gave my daughter some nice quartz crystals when we checked out. We stayed in a tipi and my daughter can't stop talking about it, nor all the animals, especially the kid friendly kittens. Quirky fun and pleasant folks made for an enjoyable stay.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Granite City, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

Here is the deal, if you go to Diamond John's expecting upscale camping in your cabin then you will NOT be disappointed! I went with my girlfriend and we stayed in the Hunters cabin and it was awesome! The bed was SO comfortable that I wanted to seriously pack it up and take it with me! I guess it is memory foam, i dont know, but it was my favorite part of the cabin. It did have a tv (which we never turned on because that is not what we went for) a microwave, coffee pot and mini fridge, grill, and fire pit (although it was prohibited to burn while we were there). We did bring a cooler as well which I was happy we had! They provide towels/wash cloths but you should have your own soap, cups, ect. Our cabin had a bathroom but I did peek in the bathroom that is used for the teepee guests and I was surprised by how nice and clean it was on the inside! The river was pretty and the animals were very cool to have around! I LOVED the peacocks!! So beautiful and we found some great feathers laying around our cabin. My girlfriend loved the kitty cats and we got to feed the goats. As for the hospitailty you could not expect anything more from Diamond John he was very friendly, took pictures for us, and even came to get us to check out an awesome rainbow over the farm field. The flashlight hunt he did for the kids was a great touch. Shirley who works at Diamond Johns is not a lady you soon forget let me tell ya! She is famous for finding the most perfectly rated diamond ever certified by the AGS. Not only did she give us some pointers on our own diamond hunt at the crater she was just a joy to talk to and be around. She is a character! We loved her and her doggie Jem Dandy. So if you are wanting to go diamond hunting this is a great place to stay. It is very close to the mines. I have to also reccomend going to Mt. Ida or Jessieville and going to the crystal mines. Wow! what a pleasant surprise that was! If you are into rocks/gems ect I promise you will find lots of crystals and you will not be dissappointed!!

Room Tip: Hunters cabin has a great bed!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Diamond John's Riverside Retreat? Share your experiences!