“Big field of dirt :/” 2 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Activities: Prospecting
More attraction details
Owner description: The only diamond mine in North America open to the public.
Lafayette, Louisiana
15 attraction reviews
“Big field of dirt :/”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

I have never been diamond mining and therefore did not know what to expect. It is a big field of dirt with little shade. My boys hated it (4 and 9). They could not get into trying to find a diamond. I had them for about 5 minutes then the complaints about heat and not finding anything set in. It did not help that there is a water park right in front of the mine - once they saw that I coudln't get them back, lol, they wanted to swim.

For older kids who understand the value of diamonds it may be good. Go early in the morning or right at dusk because there is little shade. Bring money to rent their tools or bring your own. If you are looking for full blast excitement, this is not the place - this place is low key and diligent. Expect to sit and stand for long periods of time searching for that possible gem. On average about 1 diamond is found a day. Best time to go is after a rain.

texas
8 attraction reviews
“Didn't Get Rich But Had Fun!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

My family and I went early in the morning before it got hot (in July) and I wasn't sure what to expect, but the employees were all willing to help and very pleasant. I love anything to do with "rocks" and even though we didn't find a diamond, we had fun and would recommend the experience to other travelers. Just don't go if you expect to be "entertained." It was fun to talk to the other people sitting and/or walking around. I heard lots of good stories about others experiences. I just wish I had been able to bring home a diamond! I'd try again if I was ever in the area.

6 attraction reviews
“Fun for the kids.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

Do not go there in the heat. Also they charge a deposits for equiptment so bring ur own shovel. Waterpark was alot of fun after being in the sun.

Baytown, Texas, United States
4 attraction reviews
“Hot but fiun”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

No, we didn't find any diamonds but we certainly had fun looking for them. Was very interesting to see the field and read a bit about the gems there. Also visited the water park which my daughter loved and it was a great way to cool off after the hot sweaty digging for stones.

Jackson, Alabama
11 attraction reviews
“the dig”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

Though we didnt unearth any diamonds or other precious/semiprecious stones, we had a great time.