“A little smelly but not horrible for a small town hotel” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Crystal Inn Hotel and Restaurant

Crystal Inn Hotel and Restaurant
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Mount Ida
Crystal Inn Hotel and Restaurant
You added Crystal Inn Hotel and Restaurant to your Saves list
3489 Highway 270 East, Mount Ida, AR 71957   |
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Mount Ida
Oklahoma
“A little smelly but not horrible for a small town hotel”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2010

Went with my sister and her husband to dig crystals at Mt. Ida. 1st thing that struck me odd was that the owner immediately charged our cards for our full 4 day reservation the moment we arrived, saying that it took 4 days for the charge to clear. (I never heard of that before, I think she just wanted to nail down the payment before we had a chance to change our minds and leave if we didn't like the rooms.)

The owner said she was trying to sell the motel. I guess she isn't that interested in keeping it up anymore as my room was stinking of a urine like smell near the bathroom. I think they probably had a toilet overflow problem in the room and never got around to cleaning or replacing the carpeting. Yuck!

It wasn't completely horrible, but wasn't clean smelling, and I did make a point not to walk on the floor in the room in bare feet. Other than that, I guess it was ok. Having said that, I do think if I had it to do over again, I'd check the room before letting her register me and would have asked for one that didn't smell.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Memphis, Tennessee
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2010

The room I booked after reading positive reviews on this site turned out to be a dated, fairly un-clean 1980s decorating nightmare that was permeated with the odor of old urine in the carpeting that could have used at the very least a good steam cleaning, and at best replacing the old stinky carpeting. No amount of lysol spray could touch the smell. Other than that, the bed was comfortable and the maid service was good.
Sadly, it was obvious that the owner has given up on making any improvements to the property and has it up for sale. I'll bet it was a pretty good little hotel in its day but not now. At 60 bucks a night in a town of 900 it was a lot pricier than it ended up being worth. Too bad they let it go downhill.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2010

The rooms looked really nice when we walked in. But there was an underlying smell of urine that pervaded the whole room and it got strongest at night when we were trying to sleep. My sister stayed in the single room next door to us and it was even worse and it smelled like urine had been poured on the carpet. We think the toilet ran over once or more in there and they never bothered to shampoo the rugs. If they did shampoo the carpets it would probably fix the main problems they have and it would be a decent place to stay, just old and run down. One thing I did like was that they had rocking chairs outside and you could get out of the room which was stinky.
The girls who cleaned the room did a great job, however. They managed to make it smell pretty good for a while and it was always done well. Good job! I would stay there again if they shampooed or tore out the old carpet and replaced the easy chairs in the rooms with clean new ones.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Newton, MS
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2010

Thoroughly enjoyed my 3 day stay over Labor Day. Room was clean and neat. A/C was efficient. Restaurant was good, home cooking type food. Not as much selection as in larger communities, but good flavor and presentation. Management was very friendly and helpful. Reminded me of my Grandma. Will definitely stay again. Pool was clean and fun for kids. It is the best place to stay in a fifty mile radius.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
Louisville, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2010

Nice little place to stay and have breakfast before you head out to explore. Much better than your typical hotel setting, litterally within one minute drive of the rock shop we visted to get our mining passes.

If you want a little more for your dollar choose this place over a hotel!

Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
Louisiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2010

The good: Stayed in 118, a roomy efficiency with a private patio—super clean and recently remodeled. Comfortable throughout, comfy queen and king beds, pristine and barefoot-friendly carpet. We used a laptop and notebook while there; Wi-Fi connection perfect. The TV had great channels plus nice deep seating to watch from. Compared to hotels, bathroom was huge—again, all new and gleaming—with nice sliding shower door, lots of shelves and countertop space, generous stacks of towels and bathmats (good for covering pretty but cold floor tile). Kitchen had dishes, cookware, fridge, toaster, coffee pot. Off-season was $72.50 a night plus 10% tax.
The not-so-good: Our unit shared a wall and door with the restaurant (think of companion hotel rooms and the locked door between); first morning we suddenly heard fairly clear conversation through the door and figured they could hear us too; embarrassed us, we had been howling at funny stuff on TV.
Bathroom: Bring shampoo, etc.; none furnished (we like our own anyhow). And you only get teeny-tiny soaps the size of postage stamps (seriously), hardly lasts one shower, wish I had brought soap too.
Bed: I found three hairs when I pulled back sheets but felt that since everything else was so clean the hairs must only have been left from dryer or a maid leaning in to make the big king bed. Unlike the comfy mattress, pillows were very hard, glad we brought some from home.
Also, the unit, sold as having a “full kitchen,” lacked an oven (maybe my bad for not eyeballing website photo better); had to ditch certain meal plans. Lots of small pots but only one skillet, which had scratched nonstick coating that you imagine flaking off into your food, common to see such in lodging kitchens but this unit looked like it aspired to better. This kitchen had no dishwashing liquid or dish towels, which even the humblest lodging kitchens always have. Second day/night we saw two baby roaches and then a bigger one despite being meticulous with our cooking, washing up, and food storage; we wondered if it had anything to do with the restaurant’s proximity. The roaches are no secret to owners I guess; we saw a roach trap under the microwave when we had to move it near an outlet.
Lastly, when we checked in, our credit card was charged right then for all three nights (showed up as Crystal Inn Restaurant not as motel on credit card statement, which we didn’t care for), and they don’t give refunds. So don’t bite off more dates than you are certain of, which you might do if you didn’t know their policy since standard hotels almost always let you back out of subsequent days if your plans change. (Hotels also post rates, this place makes you call.) But we had such an incredible time winter hiking in this stunning area (we saw fresh black-bear scat, deer, hawks, views to die for) that we didn’t want to leave anyhow.
All the units are nonsmoking but outdoor seating abounds. Learn more at: http://www.mtidacrystalinn.com/

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Fort Worth, TX
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2010

We had originally reserved one of the 2 queen cabins, but when we checked in, we were told that this time of year they don't open them and it wasn't worth the trouble since we were only staying one night. Instead they gave us a room in the Inn with a spacious 3 queen room. Overall the room was clean and a good size but we had two issues:
1) The decor - the entire room looked like it was decorated in 1975 and hasn't been updated since. Nothing was gross or dirty, it just had a "run down" kind of look.
2) The noise - the room we were staying is was right next to an apartment where I guess some of the people who run the restaurant live in. We could hear them throughout the evening and the next morning. The walls were thin enough that we could make out their conversations.

Overall it was an OK hotel for being in a small town. But it could be a great little Inn if they remodeled the rooms and insulated the walls.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family

Been to Crystal Inn Hotel and Restaurant? Share your experiences!