“Great food, lovely staff, fabulous room but corkage charge to have a drink in our room???” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Queens Arms

You added The Queens Arms to your Saves list
The Queens Arms
5.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   on the Somerset/Dorset border | Sherborne, Corton Denham DT9 4LR, England   |
Poole, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

Have just returned from this lovely pub in the middle of the countryside with no complaints at all EXCEPT £10 corkage on our bill when we checked out!- just for us to enjoy a drink in our room instead of a busy bar! I even bought my own corkscrew so all that was provided was 2 glasses! I have stayed in many hotels before and never had to pay this corkage charge.It didn't spoil the time we spent there as everything was lovely BUT a very mean way of adding on to the cost of our stay!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
gordonrossreid, General Manager at The Queens Arms, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
We have read your review and subsequent email to us. The wording on The FRONT PAGE of the guest booklet in all our rooms states " The Consuming of food, beverages and alcohol, not purchased on the premises is not permitted unless by prior arrangement. Please note corkage will be charged and added to your room account."
The policy was quite clear for all our customers to view.
I have never personally taken my own drink to a pub before or my own food to a restaurant and like you have visited many pubs, restaurants and hotels over the years. We provided glasses to you and then had these cleaned and serviced at an expense! You stayed on a deal in an executive room which would have cost £220.00 if full priced had been paid but you paid £99 for the offer saving over £100.
I am surprised that you have never encountered this before as many respectable establishments who sell food or alcohol also adopt a similar policy. Perhaps if this is your normal practice you should first check with the proprietors/ managers and make a prior arrangement!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

After booking on a deal I did not expect too much but was not disappointed when we arrived.
the scaffolding was a bit of a shock but they were emergency roof repairs. We were shown to our room which was a warm comfy room with a nice en-suite bathroom.
The bar was very warm and inviting and family oriented. We ordered our drinks and the barman offered my husband tasters of the various ales. As we had eaten at lunchtime I ordered an apple tart which was fab. The second night we ate from the lighter meal menu but the food was fresh, tasty and beautifully presented. I had the elderberry parfait which was fantastic - it looked so beautiful I was not sure whether to eat it or frame it! Breakfast each day was superb with a good choice and freshly prepared.
On leaving I passed some comment to Jeanette which she accepted and she elso explained that the room we were in would be undergoing a refurb in the next few weeks so we are looking forward to a return trip!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
gordonrossreid, Owner at The Queens Arms, responded to this review, December 29, 2012
Thank you for your review. Currently we have an annual refurbishment programme for all our rooms and all main areas of the Pub. These areas do get a lot of traffic passing though them and do take a lot of punishment. One or two rooms will also undergo some major work to enhance their look and feel for 2013.

We are also very happy that you enjoyed our food as again we are always changing our menu to reflect the local produce we can obtain from the village and produce that is seasonal.

We look forward to the next time you visit us and view the changes we have made to the rooms.
Vancouver Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

The Queens Arms is a real treasure. We are staying here again for our second night and I highly recommend both the inn and restaurant. Our room, number 2 is beautifully furnished ( you can see it on the website). The ensuite has a gorgeous big tub with modern faucets that deliver lots of hot water if you need it. Somerset is our last stop on a 10 day walking tour and we feel we saved the best for last. The staff is friendly and the food is marvellous. They have a nice restaurant but we prefer to eat in the pub which is informal and lively. My husband even met the brewmaster of his favourite draught, sitting in the pub... a real treat for him. We spoke to a number of locals who raved about the food as well.

Room Tip: Room 2 is lovely but we didn't see any others. Another time I might ask for a room facing the fr...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
gordonrossreid, Owner at The Queens Arms, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Thank you for your kind comments. We do hope you can return to yo try some of our other rooms.
Berkshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

My wife and I stayed overnight on our way back from a few days in Padstow, where we had stayed at an expensive hotel (not Rick Steins). The Queens Arms, including dinner, was almost half the price and twice the value! We arrived earlier than the check in time but as our room was ready we were taken straight up to it. We had an executive room and the decor and furnishings were completely in vogue with what one would expect in this old Dorset pub. The room was spotless and the Victorian bucket bath a wonderful surprise. One word of caution is that you do need to be relatively mobile to use this facility as there is no shower in this room. The atmosphere in the bar was both friendly and efficient and the range of beers, cider and whisky, to die for. The option of two types of menu was an excellent idea and the choice, delivery and presentation could not be faulted. The owners were eager to ensure that guests were well looked after and we enjoyed an excellent converstaion with them and of course one mustn't forget the wonderful log fire. We were sad to leave in the morning but will be revisiting sometime next year for a longer stay to explore the local countryside and savour the atmosphere of The Queens Arms.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
kingston
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

First of all, all the things we liked. We stayed dinner bed and breakfast and the location is lovely, the staff friendly and relaxed and the bed linen excellent. Thoroughly enjoyed the food.

Now the niggles. We were shown up to a room with someone else's bag in it. Not a big deal. We then went into our room (number 3) which was nicely decorated but the condition of the shower room let it down. There was mould and cracking around the door step and surround of the shower. One shower nozzle leaked. The toilet bowl was discoloured with (probably) limescale and the toilet brush was grubby and the toilet brush holder contained an inch of old water.

Dinner was very tasty and beautifully presented except that in my case the top of the starter had fallen off upside down. The young man serving explained that it had fallen off in transit, but it would have been a small matter to have "righted" it just out of sight before presenting it. Which is what I then did!

I loved the bread at breakfast which tasted homemade and the homemade jams. However we sat with our empty cereal plates for quite a while and when the nice young lady came with the cooked breakfasts she had nowhere to put them as the table hadn't been cleared.

I think a few things need to be sharpened up a little so that it's back to being as good as when I first reviewed this pub. I mentioned the shower room problems to the young lady on check out and she dealt with me in a very professional manner so hope they get fixed soon.

We had just come from the Headland Hotel in Newquay which is a 4 star hotel with spa, indoor and outdoor pool, games room and pitch and putt course + a silver service restaurant. The price was the same for dinner bed and breakfast as the Queens Arms at £169, which is why I think the Queens Arms needs to be top notch to compare price-wise.

Room Tip: Room 5 was dual aspect with a bath as well as a shower.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
gordonrossreid, Owner at The Queens Arms, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Firstly, on behalf of all the staff at the Queens may I thank you for all your positive comments on our Food, location and quality of our bed linen.
We have talked with all the staff, which served you during your stay at the Queens.
I understand that there was a genuine mistake when you were shown to your room and for this we do apologies for the error. I will now only employ staff who know there left from right.
I have personally inspected the shower room with our head housekeeper and we can assure you there is no mold in the bathroom or any of our rooms. The area, which you referred to, has a white sealer, which had started to crack and slightly discolored, we have now removed all the old sealant and resealed the area. We also looked at the toilet bowl and could not find any traces of discoloration the water you found in the toilet brush holder is in fact disinfectant. I asked our plumber to look the two showerheads in your bathroom, which you said had leaked. I am sorry to say that nether of us could find any leeks from any of the two showerheads!!
We redecorate all our rooms annually in low season, it is not possible between April and October to do any major repairs or redecorate unless essential.
We are pleased that you enjoyed your Dinner and I understand the point you made regarding the starter dish and this was very unfortunate. After discussing this with the person who served you he advised me that it had just happened when he went to place the dish down in front of you and he said that you seamed happy to leave the dish as it was.
With regards to our Breakfast, we have never changed the way we present our Breakfast since 2004. Bowls are placed on all the tables for Guests to help themselves to cereals, fruit and yogurt whilst they wait their hot food to be cooked from fresh local ingredients. Had you not want your cereal bowl you only have to move the bowl to one side or ask the waitress to remove it as it was not required.
I have also looked at the hotel you compared us to and can only say that we are in completely different category. The Headland Hotel has 96 room to fill and there are a further 75 Hotels all competing for Business in a very small area therefore, create a pricing war as they need to fill as many beds as possible and many of the Hotels in this area are offering rooms as little as £25 and special deals to attract customer.
We on the other hand only have 8 rooms and are not a Hotel. If you do your research, as we do on a regular basis, you will find that all similar B&B’s in our area are the same price or slightly more than we are however, none hold an AA ROSET for there food.
Your Classic room was £110 per night, based on 2 sharing including full English Breakfast and VAT which left £55 for a three-course dinner for 2. Had you paid for a three course meal separately it would have cost approximately £60 due to the high cost of sourcing local ingredients it’s impossible for us to reduce this cost and unlike large Hotels we will not bring in frozen food to lower our prices.
We always welcome any constructive feedback.
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

We have visited the Queens Arms on numerous occasions as it is our number one lunch stop off between Devon and London. Just 5 minutes off the A303, it is the perfect pit stop for lunch or dinner. The staff are always chatty and friendly and there is a lovely informal atmosphere.
This time my husband enjoyed the special curried goat and we both shared the most delicious coconut and ginger iced dessert....it was sublime!
We will be back...

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
We are all pleased that you still rate us as your number one stop off. We look forward to seeing you again and I am sure that Chef will have something special for you next time.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012 via mobile

My husband sprang a surprise proposal on me in this pub four years ago so it's always been a bit special. Having stayed there again last night it's lost none of its charm and delight.

The food is wonderful, the staff attentive and friendly, the atmosphere relaxed, the rooms smart and comfortable. It's in a lovely part of the world too - perfect for walking off all the food and drink!

We only stayed for one night but both of us feel like we've been away for ages. Love it!

• Stayed August 2012

Been to The Queens Arms? Share your experiences!