“A good place for family with children of varying ages.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Haggerston Castle Holiday Park

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Beal
Haggerston Castle Holiday Park
You added Haggerston Castle Holiday Park to your Saves list
4.0 of 5 Cabin/Campground   |   Beal TD15 2PA, England   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #1 of 1 Specialty Lodging in Beal
Merseyside
“A good place for family with children of varying ages.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

My wife booked the static caravan for a week, through a friend of her sister, to be honest, I wasn't keen to go having read the ( negative ) reviews. The caravan on Tower lawn was very clean and tidy if a little tired, but certainly not smelly or damp. We took our bikes so my 12 year old son ( hard to keep happy ) 9 year old daughter ( harder still ) and 3 year old daughter ( no comment ) went on a recce. The site is large and taking the bikes was one thing I would recommend to anyone, if only to get out of Mums way while tea is prepared, caravan tidied etc.You buy fun passes to gain access to the complex and these were checked by security 8/10 times, get your monies worth and use the pool and get the little ones involved in the morning activities in the live lounge and entertainment in the evening if that's your thing. There are 3 child play areas, one large one, one by the pub and a small one by the tourers. We saw a guy putting safety tape on the zip wire and see saw later in the week so no one can say the equipment isn't checked by staff. All staff were very helpful and friendly, especially the pool staff ( saw one jump in a save a child ) and the entertainments girls.We never queued for the pool and it was always clean and tidy. There was free entertainment like creative stuff for the little ones, dancing/ keep fit and punch and judy and games of rounders. My 3 all joined in and admitted they had had a great holiday. We spent extra on the pony trekking, lots of pool activities in the evening and daisy bikes and pedaloes. I guess there is a down side to everything, yes the numerous fruit machines in the complex. I don't palm my children off on them for an easy time for me and wife and we spent £0.00 on them. The Burger king and chip shop and pizza place were doing good business judging by the state of the tables that never seemed to be cleaned, but hey ho, who leaves the mess? Toilets on the complex were no worse than any other establishment.We did have a beer and large glass of wine in the "pub" ( £8.40 ish ) while waiting for the children in the pool one evening but as we were wearing the children out for early bed times we spent our evenings in the caravan with a bottle of wine. One point about the play area by the pub, why is access only through the pub and past the smokers, come on site manager get the side gate opened... To be honest my only complaint would be the general untidiness/ litter around the main complex, the cleaning staff were to few I guess. If like me you don't have a magic money tree, use the Tesco, Aldi and Morrisions in Berwick upon tweed, feed yourself in your caravan and spend the money you save on the activities for the children. At the end of the day it's a holiday resort so things will be a bit more expensive and you have to deal with it. Will we go back, YES, why? because it's ideal for the children and next year we will go for 2 weeks.

Room Tip: It's a big site, if you plan to spend your evenings in the complex get a caravan closer to it. A...

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
Dundee, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013 via mobile

Just back from weekend at Haggerston Castle Holiday Park , we were staying in a platinum caravan which was excellent , very clean , comfy and bigger than we thought it would be , it had an on suite bathroom in the double room with both shower and bath , we had our 2 yr old grandson with us he thouroghly enjoyed his time there , swimming , play park and ponies , he also enjoyed the tots club , the meals in the Mash and Barrel where excellent , staff very good in there very accommodating , park it's self was well kept and tidy , would recommend it and will be back at some point , my grandson enjoyed the punch and judy show they had on in the grounds,all in all a very enjoyable weekend had by all x x

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013 via mobile

We've just returned from a long weekend with kids aged 1 and 7. The eldest loved it and took part it lots of activities, the staff seemed friendly and helpful especially in the pool area. My son enjoyed the water activities especially the inflatable session. The park itself was clean and well maintained and the can we were in was immaculate and had everything we needed. We didn't go into the entertainment bar as it was heaving! The only downside was the fact that its crawling with chavs, some if the language we heard was horrendous! The amount of people who sit and drink...and drink... Whilst their kids are left to entertain themselves is unreal! So all in all a good park, good facilities but it was like a holding pen for the Jeremy Kyle show!! Will return to haven....but not haggerston!

• Stayed August 2013
Middlesbrough
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

Caravan immaculately clean & well equipped. A good size & plenty of space even for 6 adults. Staff all really helpful & friendly. Check-in amazingly quick & efficient - when I saw the huge queue I thought Id be there for an hour, but was sorted within about 10 minutes. Food at the Mash & Barrel was great - we hadn't planned to but ate there every night. Only slight complaint would be the evening entertainment in the Live Lounge which revolved mainly around children - and not much alternative elsewhere. Also a senior member of our party would have enjoyed more (serious) bingo, rather than it being squeezed into half an hour at teatime. Overall we had a great time, it was very good value & a fantastic base to visit the Northumberland Coast. Would definitely return.

gateshead
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

I have just returned from a holiday ay Haggerston Castle.The site itself is lovely but the caravan was very disappointing.I paid £294 for 3 nights.It was supposed to sleep 8 people pity help us if eight had gone.It was tiny and not very clean.There was a terrible smell coming from the fridge or underneath it.The bathroom ceiling was covered in flies and beetles it was disgusting.The shop on site was very expensive.I went to buy a packet of crisps out of the machine in the main complex(£85p) i put one pound in and got no change.There is no one around you can tell.
I know i could have paid more for a caravan there but £295 i thought would have been decent.How wrong I was.The kids enjoyed it but I will not be returning.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Beal hotels

Durham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013 via mobile

Hi, we came to stay at Haggerston Castle via privately renting. I have no issues whatsoever with the accommodation. However I find the complex is a total rip off. I payed £140 for 2 adult and 3 child fun works passes. I don't have a problem with paying this, but I didn't even need to bother because not once were they checked when entering swimming etc. I may aswell have waved old credit cards at them and they wouldn't have noticed. All other activities had to be payed extra for. The only things that were included in the passes were : swimming and the club on the night ..oh and a park which was a total let down. The club on a night is just like a club trip and I only spent half an hour in there it was so bad. However, the location of the caravan park is brill. We visited Holy Island and Alnwick Castle. The spar on site is a rip off too so I drove to tesco which is on the way to Berwick. Overall I would come back but don't think I'd bother with passes next time and certainly won't be going to the club on an night. Great for days out which is what we did :)

• Stayed August 2013
Hessle, Hull, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

We booked this eleven months before travel, the day before travel Haggerston Castle rang and said we have no new caravans free can we offer you a free upgrade into a Luxury Lodge. We arrived the lodge was spotless. The site is packed with things to do for the kids, the staff are all very professional and excellent with children. I recommend a visit to the on site Chinese restaurant and the Spa. Book the activities for the kids on line as soon as you can demand is high dispute this extra sessions were put on to meet the demand. On the whole a fab place in a great area if your looking to book this you will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: Stretch to a lodge if you can
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to Haggerston Castle Holiday Park? Share your experiences!