“Delicious Eggs Benedict” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
Wellington, Wellington, New Zealand
“Delicious Eggs Benedict”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

The eggs benedict was delicious. The service was really good, get there early because brunch on the weekends get really busy. We arrived at 9.30am and it was quite empty and by 10.30am there were no seats left.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

83% Recommend
Wellington, New Zealand
“Pub food at best for breakfast ...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

Breakfast was disappointing after a build up at the counter that promised more - a lovely cafe atmosphere, lots of room, and a range of seating inside and outside to choose from, interesting menu and well presented counter area and friendly staff. We ordered eggs Benedict and eggs florentine and two flat whites for about $42 and waited while everyone around us were being served. We admired the interesting art on the walls, large cats with huge eyes and humorous facial expressions. Our coffees arrived and tasted good, with good silky crema texture but were barely hot enough. Then came generous breakfast plates, both with squares of sourdough, pillow shaped poached eggs, and wilted spinach for me and ham slices for my partner, both loaded with hollandaise sauce. They looked great. My eggs were very vinegary tasting, and unfortunate effect of using the acid in the boiling water to help the egg keep its shape. The toast was soggy. The hollandaise was cold, straight out of a UHT carton and there was too much. I eyed my partner's plate hoping he might offer me a bite of his thickly sliced "ham off the bone" (that was what the menu said it was). Much to my delight he gave me some to try, but it came with a warning that it wasn't that great. An understatement, it was reminiscent of reconstituted crab sticks in texture, had no ham flavour and I am ashamed to say I spat it out discreetly. The waitress came past and swooped our plates away before i had time to put my knife and fork together. We left soon afterwards muttering it was pub grub at best. We won't be going back. There are so many much nicer and consistently reliable places in Jackson Street.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
“Noisy but good spot”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

Went here for breakfast today and had previously read awful reviews on menu mania about this place but was pleasantly surprised. Busy and noisy but great food. We were a group of 5 and food came quickly and was good- hubby had The Fiend and I the Wee Fiend, both yum. Unsure if I would return due to the noise but had a good experience today :)

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Great atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We've been here countless times, and you know somewhere is good when it's always busy. It's great for a weekend brunch, with great food and fast service. Recommend the french toast or pancakes.

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Great food, location, and service!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

I went to Petone for the day from Wellington and passed by this place. There were many cafés on Jackson Street in Petone but this one stuck out to me because it had nice sidewalk seating and was very busy. I went in and the menu was incredible. I finally settled on the french toast with banana, bacon, and maple syrup and a mango smoothie. The smoothie was yogurt-y, creamy, and delicious and my french toast was incredible! The portion was big and it was very filling but I ate it all anyways because it tasted so good. It was a good place for people watching. Even coming from the restaurant heaven that is Wellington, I still really enjoyed myself and have recommended this place to all of my friends!

• Visited February 2013