“Breakfast was included.” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 10 Hotels in Chillan
Perth, Australia
“Breakfast was included.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

We chose to stay here as we planned to take the train from Chillan to Santiago. As we had seen Bernardo's representation often in South America we felt it would be fitting to stay in his Birthtown and in the Hotel named for him. The hotel's location was convenient to the bus and train stations- we walked down to the train on the second morning.
The prices in Chillan are on the high side but it is a small town and there is less competition.
We were welcomed in a very friendly way by the non-English speaking Receptionist. (It did not distress us to meet people who do not speak English- after all I don't speak much Spanish and none in Australia.) She recommended a stunning local restaurant for our dinner and she explained we had breakfast included in the tariff. Wifi was better downstairs.
Our room was warmish- the heating had been turned on shortly before we arrived I would say and so we headed down to use the fire where we could read and/or relax.
The bed was only a Double, but we survived! It sagged a little in the middle but hey, it's the country.
The water was hot when we took showers and the Breakfast was enjoyable. I had café con leche on the first morning and café solo con un poco de leche the second. The quality of the coffee is pretty average but the lady who served us was friendly and the bread was good.
Overall it is expensive for what you get but we enjoyed our stay and found the staff to be friendly.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

This is a really nice hotel quite close to Chillan railway station, and about ten minutes walk from the main bus terminal - or a very cheap taxi ride. The rooms are comfortable, the breakfast pretty straightforward but served in the very pleasant lounge, and as for the bathrooms - they are huge and have the most handsome fittings. The grandest in all Chile possibly. One of the really nice thngs was that it had rained in my last towns and I had bought a huge umbrella which I knew I would not need when I went to my next destination in the north so I left it behind. As I was walking past the hotel the window above opened - it was the maid cleaning my room waving the brolly.

Room Tip: Chillan is a quiet city - I stayed twice and my room on the first occasion was at the front corner o...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Las Vegas, Nevada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

I stayed in this hotel for almost a month, and the service is good coming from the employees, but they have really odd rules. I checked in by myself, but my brother was with me, he was going to be stopping by almost every other day to pick me up etc, and the employees there did not allow him to be in the room with me, they expected him to wait outside while picking me up! They were patrolling the rooms to see who would go in & out! I felt I was staying in a convent run by nuns, no privacy whatsoever. In addition the rooms were extremely small & very dark, it did not feel like a vacation at all, no amenities whatsoever, absolutely nothing in the room. For all the money I paid, I could've had the best room in the capital city, but because Chillan it's a very small town & hardly any hotels to stay, they take advantage of that......it's a rip off.

Room Tip: stay on the second floor!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014 via mobile

Compared with similar hotels in Chile, Hotel Libertador seems quite poor value. We were quoted 43,000 pesos for one night for a matrimonial room with a lumpy, small double bed, in a very clean room with decor which would have seemed outdated 10 years ago. Prices were oddly much higher than listed in our guidebook, perhaps we were quoted a 'gringo' price? The place seemed pretty empty, I suspect there are better options in tis town. Reception was cordial, and cool.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Surfers Paradise, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

We just needed a night for a stopover while heading south. The hotel is reasonable value but quite basic. Secure parking and wifi in the lobby only. We had a corner room on a hot summer day and the room was indeed very warm. Friendly staff but no English spoken.

Room Tip: Avoid a sunny room on a hot summer day
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Hartford, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2012

If you looking for a decent place to stay this is it

While it may not be a 5 star hotel it is clean, the staff is friendly,the breakfast is good and the rooms are ok.

Nothing special but I would rather stay there than a five star hotel.

Why pay triple for a hotel that has a fridge in the room with $4 cans of coke when ou can stay her and save a fortune.

Room Tip: Rooms an backside are super quiet.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Wendover, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2011

The hotel seemed to be staffed entirely by ladies, all of whom were very friendly and helpful. Our room with bathroom was large, clean and comfortable. It was some way from the centre of town and we had trouble finding somewhere for dinner. However, at 33000 it was good value.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Libertador Bernardo O`Higgins? Share your experiences!