“LOVED IT!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Now Larimar Punta Cana

You added Now Larimar Punta Cana to your Saves list
Now Larimar Punta Cana
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Av. Alemania S/N | El Cortecito, Bavaro, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Bavaro
Cayuga
“LOVED IT!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2008

Our stay was from Jan. 28 - Feb. 4.

The hotel was wonderful! The resort is still under construction but the staff tried very hard to keep the noise and the inconvenience very minimal. The hotel and the rooms were very clean and the beds were incredibly comfortable.

Check in was a little slow. They should have another staff member at the front desk during check-in/check-out times.

The food was fantastic and you really didn't need to venture to the a la carte restaurants. Booking the restaurants was slow and frustrating. If you were looking for quick and easy....you won't find that here.
We did dine at the Asian and the Italian restaurant. If you are dining at the Asian restaurant try to book your meal at the show tables where you sit around the cook as he prepares the meal. Ordering off of the menu was not that great. The Italian restaurant was very good. The scalopini was exceptional. The buffet dining room was slightly disorganized (resetting tables after someone left) but the hotel had only been open for 4 weeks so I'm sure the organization will improve with a little more experience. The buffet at the beach was also very good. There was pizza, burgers, fries as well as foods that were a little more Dominican every day.

The pool bar bartender, Alexis, was so funny and very talented. He did tricks and kept the guest thoroughly entertained. Luis, the bartender at the tantra bar (upstairs), was fantastic. After day 1 he had our drinks memorized and as we entered the bar our drink of choice was waiting for us at the bar.

The tantra bar usually got hopping around 11:00-11:30 and didn't close until 3:00 a.m. The dancing was great.

The beach staff were amazing. My 3 amigos....JoAngel, Riccardo, and Jose were funny, friendly and entertaining. They worked hard at getting the guests involved with beach volleyball, dancing lessons, etc.

Our trip overall was fantastic. If you did not have a good time, you weren't trying. The few shortcomings (check-in, restaurant bookings) did not hinder our trip in any way. I would definitely go back there again.

Stayed January 2008

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,015)
  • Polish first
Meaford, ON
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2008

We stayed at the EDENH Feb 10 -17th. The resort is new and improving every day. We booked the concierge package and recomend the upgrade as far as being able to reserve at the al a cartes and the private pool and bars. (also the private breakfast at the Italian resturant).

We traveled as a couple (no kids) and actualy downgraded our room to an great Ocean View with the tub inside. Our choice and loved it. The staff were very helpfull.

We overheard lots of complaining from guest who felt it was not fair we had two private pools to choose from (not crowded) and no line ups at the bar.

The wines both Red and White are excellent, we would normally puchase wines from Italy, Chili or Ontario.

The Swedish massage on the beach was great, we did the couples deal twice.

The food exceeded all expectations, we enjoyed all the resturants. The lobster dinner (served in room) was great and we took advantage of the room service menu for late night snacks.

I recomend this resort for anyone who wants to have a great time.

Stayed February 2008
Northern US
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2008

We just returned from a week at Edenh Real and overall I would considerate it a very good vacation. There are several areas that management in the resort need to take care of before it can be a true 5 star resort although the potential is definitely there.

We flew out of Logan through Apple's charter package that uses Ryan International as the direct flight option. Our flight to the DR was delayed 3 hours and our return was delayed an hour and a half. These delays translated into arriving at the resort at 2 AM and back home at 3 AM, not good at all! The reason for the delays is that Apple uses the same plane to fly to and from Cancun earlier in the day and any delay in those flights snowballs into a longer one for the afternoon departure to DR. The planes are probably the oldest and most cramped I've ever been on and I will never book this trip through Apple again if they continue to use this flight option.

Check in to the hotel wasn't too bad but a couple of folks seemed to have an issue but I think it was mostly caused by lack of patience on the guests part from being overly tired because of the extended travel time. Eventually we were handed an envelope with 4 plastic cards inside but no explanation as to what anything was. There was no map, no welcome letter, no room service menu or anything that you'd usually get when you arrive at a resort. One of the bellman directed us to our room saying he'd bring our luggage while we went to the sports bar for a bite to eat. We had a snack and headed to our room where we ran into the bellman arriving with our luggage and he gave us a brief run through of where everything was and how one of the room keys controlled all the power to the room. There's a slot on the wall just inside the door where you insert the key card and that supplies electricity to the room. We had an outside room on the fourth floor that overlooked what appeared to be a small local neighborhood. We weren't concerned about the view as we use our room to sleep and to shower for dinner. The way the resort is layed out half the rooms will have a "decent" pool view and half won't, not a big deal for us either way. The room was clean and fully stocked when we checked in except for some cream for the coffee maker and we left a note and had that stocked the following day. There are mosquitoes in the rooms which confused me as there weren't any bothering us when we were outside during the day so where do the ones in the room come from? Our room was cleaned and towels restocked by the time we returned from the pool each day. Other than the mosquitoes the only problem with the room was a toilet with a broken handle that I adjusted the best I could and just needed to jiggle it a few times after flushing to keep the water from running.

The food was as good and often better than any other all inclusives I've visited. The buffets were the standard you find most everywhere but there was always a station that had freshly prepared foods and drinks. Breakfast had the omlet and egg station where Elvis would make a delicious omlet with your choice of ingredients as well as the fresh made juice section. Lunch and dinner had the pasta station as well as a carving station that had different meats on different days, all very good. The pasta station seems to be the most popular as it always had the longest line so they may want to consider adding another chef there. I can verify that it was worth the wait.

The food at the a la cartes we tried was very good ( American twice, French and Italian once each) but the system for dining has serious flaws. If you want to dine at 6:30 when the restaurants open then you need to be in line before 6 oclock, if you want to dine at 7:30 then you need someone in line at 6 oclock to get you reservations. We heard several stories of people getting the beepers for an 8:30 dinner but not eating until after 10. This issue was one of my big negatives on the trip and it can be easily solved so I'm surprised that after being open a month they haven't fixed this system yet.

The beach was beautiful and the pools are large but this is another area of great concern. We actually titled it "chair wars" since this is the towel game played to an intensity that I've never seen before. By 7 AM each morning most chairs by the pool are already claimed and if you want one in the very few shade providing huts at the pool you'll need to be up and out before 5 AM. This is not an exageration at all. A big part of the problem is guest selfishness with chairs reserved at the beach and the pool, or chairs saved in the sun and the shade. The activities staff offer stretching and water aerobics during the day, the aerobics was fun and entertaining but the stretching lacked verbal communication, you just tried to follow what the instructor was doing.

Both the lobby and pool bars served strong drinks but were seriously understaffed at busy times. Sometimes the bartenders didn't know how to make certain drinks so I always tried to order the simple ones. The 2 waitresses who worked around the pool were terrific and friendly and made for a fun time.

We never stayed up for the evening shows but everyone we talked to that saw them said they were wonderful.

We found the staff to be warm and engaging but often seriously over extended. It was easy to tell some service staff members have had experience and the others haven't. We met a great server our first morning at the buffet and made sure to sit in his area for breakfast and lunch each day he worked. On his off days it was easy to see the lack of training/experience for some of the other wait staff. It's unfortunate that the workers have to gain experience through the peak season as this will cause lot's of issues with certain guests and unnecessary stress for the workers. Hopefully over the next few months the resort will increase staffing and training levels and these issues will disappear.

Check out was quick and easy with no issues at all. We had a late departure so we used the courtesy room for showers in the afternoon before we left the hotel. The room was stocked with towels and shampoo and soap but lacked what it needed most, hot water. The shower never came close to being warm. Knowing that there would be a crowd since our charter was leaving in the evening, I went to clean up early and was there before the rush so it wasn't that so many people had showered before me that all the hot water was used. I heard one little girl tell her father the shower was like being in the pool which was a pretty accurate description.

To sum things up, we had a very nice time but we are pretty easy going. I would go back again but only after I hear they have worked out the issues of the a la carte dining, the beach and pool "chair wars" and have increased staffing numbers and training.

• Liked — good food and warm and friendly staff
  • Disliked — lines for dining a la cartes, need to be awake before dawn to get beach and pool chairs
  • Stayed February 2008
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Kingston, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2008

Just came back from Eden h on Friday. Wanted to let fellow travellers going soon to relax. My husband and I with 16 other friends have just returned and we had a good time. Check in was no problem we were met by courteous staff. The rooms are very nice, and room service was great. We never waited no longer than 15 min. We had brought our own wine with us and there was no problem someone bringing us a cork screw ( which we forgot) The staff we found to be very nice and for the most part would go out of their way to help us. Look for Andre on the beach, he is the best! We tipped our waiters, the cleaning lady and most of all Andre. The reason we tipped is because we felt if we were in Canada and had this service we would so we should also to these hard workers.
The resort itself is nicely laid out, with time the landscaping will be fully grown and it will look even better. I cant say enough about the Beach its awesome! Oh yes do have a massage on the beach, it was truly a luxury.
We had a great time in the main lobby bar and the Tantra bar. Even though the other facilities were not open we didnt mind the staff kept everyone dancing and singing.
Ok so I said no complaints and I wont. Just to let you know there are mosquitoe's in some of the rooms. We thought they were coming from the air cond. system?? Not hundreds of them just enough for you to have a towel fight before bed!
The food was very good. The Ala cartes were better than the buffet, but hard to get into. We did mange to eat ala carte 4 times during our stay.
All in all I cant say too many bad things occurred during our stay. I know others may have a different story, some of our freinds had minor problems ( phone not working, sink plugged ) But I think I can say all 18 of us had a good time and it was well worth the money. So go and have fun, relax by the beach and put your feet up!

• Liked — beach and restaurants
  • Disliked — mosquitoes
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Toronto
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2008

The place itself was very beautiful. The pools were quite nice and the beach outstanding.
The problems were many;
Service was poor, drinks were awful, getting a beach chair was a chore. If your idea of a holiday is to sleep in until 9 then have a leisurely breakfast, then head for the beach; then forget this place. If you were not on the beach by 6:30 to 7 am you would not get a chair. Unless of course you would resort to stealing one. That could result in a fight as occured occasionally during my visit.
Bring a lot of 1$ bills for tipping, because if you don't have change they expect a tip for making change on a ten. Believe it; everywhere I went they had a hand out for a tip. I know the average income in the DR is not great but at an all inclusive resort I do expect some service without required tipping.
The food was generally marginal and waiting in line each night for OK food isn't something I would do at home.
The deal seemed like a good deal financially, but if you feel the little things are what make a holiday; I suggest you spend a few more dollars and find someplace other than Eden H.

• Liked — Clean and well cooled
  • Disliked — poor service and late room cleaning if at all
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2008

We just got back from EdenH, we were there for a week, Feb 8 to Feb 16.
Basic, delux room package (green wristband).

We arrived at the resort around midnight on Saturday. We were in our room in less than 10 minutes. We did not experience any issues with checking in or out.

Our room was on ground floor.
The following morning we noticed that the patio door lock was broken and our in room safe was not working. I reported both items to customer service that morning.
By the time we got back from the beach, I would say around 4pm, both items were fixed.
The room itself was spacious and nicely decorated. I did not like the opening between bathroom and sleeping area. I get up early and my wife sleeps in. I had to turn on the light in the bathroom to get get myself ready. Because of the opening, the light spills out into the sleeping area. Privacy is another issue. If you are there with kids it makes it very inconvinient. Although the glass doors to both shower and toilet are sand blasted, one has to go inside the shower area to get some privacy (i.e. for changing). It was really funny to see a lock on the bathroom door, right next to 5x7ft opening. :)
Room itself has plenty of storage. We had no issues with anything in the room other than the couple of items described above.
Our room was very clean every day, with plenty of fresh towels. I'm not sure what time the room was cleaned, but it was always done by the time we got back from the beach.

Although we were not affected by the chair game on the beach, this situation is horrible.
The reason why we were not affected is because I'm an early riser. I was up early enough to get our chairs under a hut. I loved watching sunrise every morning. After sunrise I went for breakfast and than back to the beach. My wife would usually join me around 9am. I feel really sorry for people that had to get up early just to reserve chairs and for people that could not get chairs because they wanted to sleep in on their vacation.
In my crude estimate (based on how many people were walking around between 9 and 10am looking for chairs) about 50-100 more chairs would solve this issue. There is plenty of room on the beach to place them. People that do not get there early might not get a hut, but at least they would have a chair.
Other than 1/2 hour after sunrise I was on the beach from about 6:30am to 4pm. I can not believe how many people would show up to claim their reserved chairs around noon and sometimes even later. I did notice people reserving more chairs than they were using.
I do not know how bad it was around a pool as we were always on a beach.

The beach was very nice. Seaweed was cleand up early every morning and also constantly during the day. There was a second guy on the beach walking around all day picking up garbage. Security was in place to prevent vendors aproaching EdenH visitors. Few times in the morning I did see broken glass on the beach. Since the glass was green, I assume that it was from the beer bottles. I do not know this, but I believe that guests drinking on the beach were responsible for this.
We got two towel cards, but we never had to use them.

I had no problems with getting service at any of the bars. Sometimes I had to wait few minutes, but I was served in what I believe is a reasonable time. I believe that waiting time was less than a typical semi-busy bar/club in Toronto. I drank beer during the day and vodka7 at night. I had no problems with their domestic vodka. Few times they served me vodka7 with Absolut and it did not taste any different. If you were to drink thir vodka straight up I'm sure there would be a difference, once it was mixed into in a coctail it was fine to me.
We had no problem with food. We went to American Grill, Italian restaurant and buffet.
Service at above restaurants was inconsistent. We experienced service from excelent to average. We never had poor service.

Entertainment at night was fine, but I'm not big fan of sitting around watching shows. I rather spend my evenings in one of the bars.

During the week we were at EdenH, there was a lot of planting going on, I do not think it bothered anybody. Also in that week railing was installed at the beach restaurant. I noticed that they started work around 7:30am and stopped around 9am. They worked on it again in the evning once most (if not all) people left the pool area. I did not see other construction activities.

Overall, we had a really good vacation. In my opinion there are areas that this resort has to improve on (consistent service in particular) to become one of the top resorts in the area.
One other thing, I really like the design and decor of this place. Inetrior desing is very different from a typical Dominican resort.

Cheers!

• 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2008

My husband bought me this trip as a Christmas gift and selected the property specifically because it was a new resort! I was very nervous because I read vast reviews at this website almost on a daily basis. Let me first say that if you don't have a good time it is your own fault - you are too uptight!! We came to the resort with an open mind (despite any negative reviews) and had a great time!! The people and the staff were all very kind and quick to help with anything we needed. This was meant to be a trip to relax and we did just that. However, there are some things that would have made the experience a little better. For one, the rooms have no clocks whatsoever - in fact, we did not see one clock throughout the resort. Therefore, if you have a massage scheduled (which I did on the beach - heavenly!!) and you don't have a watch - you need to ask people what time it is. Also, bring your bug spray. The only place we had mosquitos was in our room. I was a little disappointed with the outside jacuzzi as it faced the small thoroughfare that goes through the proprty and other buildings (no privacy). It would have been nice to have some sort of privacy blind. Our room itself was very nice and the bathroom was very private. The food was very good and the beach was beautiful - however, there is A LOT of seaweed along the shore. The restaurants were very nice, but they were not clearly marked when we got there - but I'm sure they will be taking care of this very soon. The worst part of the whole trip was getting through customs when we got back into the US. Many international flights coming into Altanta at the same time causing thousands of people flooding into customs at one time. My suggestion would be that if you need to book a connecting flight to be sure you have at least a 3 hour layover (just to get through customs!). For all of you who have scheduled a trip to this resort - relax and enjoy (I recommend the rum punch)!

• Liked — the Beach
  • Disliked — Room
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Now Larimar Punta Cana? Share your experiences!