“Great time had by all!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Now Larimar Punta Cana

You added Now Larimar Punta Cana to your Saves list
Now Larimar Punta Cana
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Av. Alemania S/N | El Cortecito, Bavaro, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #2 of 17 Hotels in Bavaro
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
“Great time had by all!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2012

Stayed at hotel Dec. 26-Jan. 2, 2012. The hotel and pool areas were well kept. They were constantly cleaning, painting, etc. The rooms were a little tired and could use a coat of paint, but overall, very clean. The staff was unbelievable. We upgraded to the preferred club and received excellent service. Efram attended to our needs whether it be finding a reliable group to parasail with, getting more bottled water to our room, making spa appointments, etc. The housekeeping staff and wait staff were equally friendly and helpful. Since the resort was so busy over the New Year's holiday, the upgrade came in handy as we never had to look for a seat in the dining area and could always find a spot at one of the preferred pools. The food was good and there was a tremendous variety. As another reviewer wrote, the buffet food was usually lukewarm, however, you could always opt for the omelette or pasta stations for hot food (though usually a little bit of a line). We thought the French restaurant was awful - not worth the wait, that is for sure. The italian restaurant's offerings were not what our kids would eat, so be sure to look at the menu before you head to this restaurant. We did enjoy the japanese steakhouse (although you do need to arrive early to be seated ), but the kids had a great time and the food was comparable to the japanese steakhouses we go to at home. Overall, the buffets were a better place for us because of the variety. We did run into an issue with the buffets being reservation-only on New Year's Eve and we had no idea. We had been at the resort since Dec. 26 and did not find this out until we showed up to eat on Dec. 31! We were told by the hostesses that there was no way they could accommodate us - finally, asked for a manager and he was more than willing to seat us. Interestingly, a lot of the tables were never seated and yet people were being turned away. I saw another post that it was similar on Christmas - this situation needs to be addressed. Overall, though, we had a wonderful time. Traveled with another family, so it was 4 adults and 4 kids (9-16) and there was something for everyone - food, activities, relaxation! Close to the airport and most of the side-trips. We enjoyed a half-day of snorkeling at Marinarium, zip line trip, parasailing, and fishing - booked all but parasailing through Apple representative Caesar and found the trips to be well-run, efficient, safe, and a good time.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,274)
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Dallas, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2012

This resort s answer to everything. I have to stay at this resort because my company places us there. Upon my first visit i thought wow paradise. All inclusive and a great location. All this changed after my first vist.

I arrived late one night and placed my do not disturb sign on my door and at 5:09 am someone from the hotel entered my room.I immediately called the front desk and then yes we know. After not getting to sleep I went to management and expressed my fear that at anytime someone can enter my room..Makes you a bit uneasy about your privacy and possessions.

Third visit,air conditioner wasn't working" again with Ill send someone now " 45 minutes later someone came and tried to fix it..Within a half hour still not cool .Went to front desk and they finally gave me a new cold room. Clock not working and no supplies in mini bar. Called in morning at 7;00 am took my do not disturb off my door and after repeated phone calls someone showed up at 2:00pm to fill mini bar.

I have 3 more times i have to spend in so called Paradise.Hopefully all will go well.The staff is friendly and very helpful.I t is the quality of the resort that i think is the problem.

Another problem they have to address and shame on me to not mention it to mgt.The pool chair saving thing. My room happened to overlook the pool.At about 7:30 am half the chairs were covered with towels being saved for later. I was hoping the pool staff placed them there as a courtesy for the quest. Upon going to the pool i saw at least 4 or 5 people plac towels on chairs to save for their family and friends. Not right..

I will follow up after my next trip Even though my company pays for this resort i thnk as a hotel quest i should be treated the same experience that all the other quests are.I do hope the other quest are having better experiences.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Regina, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2012

We have just arrived home after two glorious weeks at Now Larimar! The last two Christmases have been spent in the hospital after my husband’s accident in Dec 2009 and my breast cancer diagnosis in 2010 so we were looking to be somewhere luscious and NOT in a hospital for Christmas. We certainly picked an amazing resort, with incredible staff, facilities and the views from our room were simply breathtaking. It is a vacation that we will remember for a lifetime, and cherish all the special memories of spending our first Christmas and New Year in the ‘white sand’ instead of ‘white snow’.

When we arrived we were greeted by the staff with a warm “Welcome Home” and they did their absolute best to ensure our entire stay was exactly that....a luxurious home away from home! From the fresh cookies and champagne when we arrived to Andy the bellhop taking our bags directly to our room and insisting on walking us there as it was dark and our room was quite a venture from the front desk...we were in room 1338 in the Bavaro building. Our room was also very clean with a Jacuzzi tub, large marble shower and a beautiful large covered balcony overlooking the pools and the ocean. The beach is absolutely beautiful and if you wanted, you could likely walk for miles along the shore. The food was excellent at all the buffets – and our favourite ala carte had to be Spice, we ate there twice and each time enjoyed a hilarious performance from the teppanyaki chefs. We also enjoyed our two evenings at the Blue Water Grill and our favourite waiter from both there and Carnival, Adalberto. Of course, Erika, the hostess at both Carnival and Spice, welcomed us with a cheery ‘Hola’ every time she saw us and always asked how we were enjoying our stay! We miss them both already!!

We were a little hesitant about this resort after reading the reviews of some previous guests, but I’m not sure what they were expecting, as we simply couldn’t have received better service nor had a better vacation. The “time share” salesmen tended to be a bit like sharks at times but once you said “No” they left you alone. Our only complaint would probably with the “rules” around saving chairs on the beach....as the resort got busier people were leaving their towels on the chairs overnight and therefore it was hard to get a chair after about 8:30 AM......if you have a policy to remove towels/purses etc that are left before 7:00AM, then you need to follow through with that to allow everyone a chance for a chair on the beach. The resort is definitely in need of some TLC in the common areas - I certainly can name a number of hotels in Canada in far worse shape that call themselves a “5 star” hotel. The one thing we would love to see upgraded are the beds; we had a king size bed and it was one of the hardest beds I have ever slept on.
The resort staff go out of their way to ensure you enjoy your vacation...it was definitely a wonderful 2 weeks and we can't wait to come back to the beautiful Punta Cana area.

Room Tip: Rooms on the 3rd and 4th floors have the best ocean views - if you can either purchase the Preferred...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Clarksburg, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2012

the entertainment staf at Now Larimar!!! we had such a great time with Amy,Blacky,Happy Face,Lenin,Henri,George Washington and Junior that we can not wait to go back and see them. Thanks guys for making it a great vacation.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2012

First of all we want to apologize for taking so long to write this review. We, (Janine, Johanna, Jenn and Wanita) were sent on this trip to celebrate our fearless 40's and had THE TIME OF OUR LIVES ! We were greeted at the front desk by Erica and Johnathan who graciously welcomed us and set us up in an amazing room - thanks so much for treating us like family and making us feel so special! Our room (2293) was beautiful. Simple and elegant decor, wonderful bathrooms and very spacious! Thanks to Vionelly for keeping our room so clean during our stay! We loved eating at the buffet the best! The laid-back self-serve style suited us perfectly. Jose was a fabulous host and welcomed us each morning with a smile and 4 mimosa's! Thanks Jose for saving us a table and accommodating our sense of humour! Dania, thank you for taking the time to teach us some Spanish phrases! Also thank you to Angela and Angel, Richard and a special mention to the banana milkshake lady! For those of you who love fresh omelettes or eggs of any kind, visit Felix at the Omelette station - he greets everyone with a warm smile and will whip you up the best plate of eggs you have ever eaten! Thanks to all the crew at the buffet! The grounds at the resort are beautiful and well looked after. Take your time to walk through the gardens on your way to the restaurants and enjoy all the many amazing tropical plants and flowers! We spent most of our day at the beach. Every morning after breakfast we would make our way to our palopa on the beach where we would set up "home" for the day. There are many activities that you can participate in - Find Jose and his team for fun dance lessons or aerobics, fun games in the pool, water sports etc. Or, you can just relax under your palopa and enjoy the white sands, warm breezes, amazing view and gorgeous water! Look for "Magic Phil" for photo's at the resort - he can be found on the beach and is very kind and a great guy to talk to. Thanks Phil for all the laughs! For lunch, stop by the Beach Side Grill for an amazing assortment of great food. See Ydalis for a custom fruit-kabob at the fruit bar. Kelvin, the waiter, is everywhere and is very kind. Enjoy the cool vibe and yummy drinks at the lobby bar in the evening, thanks to Felix, Alexander, Edwin and Junior and the rest of the staff.
The resort is beautiful but the staff make it an amazing experience! Remember to be open to new experiences, you are in a different country with different cultures so be respectful, kind and gracious and you will have the time of your life!
Janine, Johanna, Jenn and Wanita.
P.S. we loved this resort soooooo much and are hoping to come back in 2013 with our kids!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
Knoxville, TN
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2012

The Good:
• This resort is beautiful, very clean and well kept.
• The pool area is spotless (although they could use some new towels).
• Lunch at poolside grill is very good. Paella was served every day with other choices like hamburgers (very lean and tasty), grilled fish and all sorts of other food as well. This was the best food on the resort. If you sit in the seating area, the servers are very nice and helpful, Florentino was wonderful when we had lunch our last day there by the pool/beach.
• The activities crew is amazing, friendly and works very hard to show guests a good time.
• Bluewater grill and Capers had the best service for dinner.
• Room Service available 24 hours day. Limited selections, but I learned that this was an ok way to get bottled water. Order a plate and extra bottled water.
• Marcelino, Efrin and Jorge were helpful and accommodating. They definitely made the trip more enjoyable.

The Bad:
• We arrived on Christmas Eve. When we checked in, the front desk told us to make reservations for the special Christmas buffet that night. Not knowing who to make the reservations with or where it even was, I asked another staff member how to make reservations for the buffet and they told me it wasn’t needed. So since we were all tired and hungry, we unpacked and showed up at the buffet to eat only to be denied access because we hadn’t made reservations for the specials Christmas buffet. This was not a great way to start the trip as we had hungry kids with us and just wanted a meal and our bed for the night and the rest of the restaurants had a wait. There was not enough direction upon check in and guidance for this situation.
• Getting bottled water in our room was a hassle every day. I didn’t mind them serving me filtered water in a glass at the bars and restaurants, however I had no way to get water in our room except for the two, small bottles they would leave possibly each day when restocking the fridge. I do drink a lot of water, but that is just ridiculous to think that is enough for two people per day. I called room service and the front desk four times one night after returning to lack of bottled water in our room yet again. It still never showed up that night or even the next day. I ended up rushing a man with a cart of bottled water the next day and begged for one of the big 1.5 liter bottles. That’s all the man would give me.
• Restaurants: If you desire to eat Asian food at “Spice” and are not staying at Secrets next door or are a VIP, you can forget it, unless you wait until 9pm to eat. I tried three times in a week to get into this restaurant and each time was an absolute struggle even though I stood in line 30 minutes prior to opening in order to try and get seats for my family at the hibachi. As the week went on, we found out that neighboring Secrets guests and VIP guests can make reservations and take priority over the rest of the guests for seating at restaurants. I found this to be quite irritating when I would leave the beach early to try and get to the restaurant before opening, only to watch Secrets and VIP guests walk right in front of me and be seated.
• I tried to buy internet one day because I had a few hours of work to do, and even this was a struggle. I went to the business center and was willing to pay the $25 for limited wi-fi access. I asked them to charge it to my room, they said they could not and would only accept cash. So I walked all the way back to my room all while lugging my laptop and work materials with me and got the cash. I walked all the way back to front of resort and the man told me to take my money and go get exact change from the front desk. You could imagine my frustration by now, yes? I am trying to buy extra services only to be yanked around all over the resort. This was towards the end of the week and I had learned that some of the employees are pushy and you have to push back to get what you want (not a fun way to spend vacation and lots of money). I told him absolutely not, and that he was to go get me change. He then proceeded to pull change from a drawer right there and give it to me. What the heck??
• Mattresses are very hard.
• Turn down service (claims to be included luxury) was never received until we complained on the 6th day.
• Only two choices of wine: sweet red and sweet white. My mother and I were never so thankful to have a glass of chardonnay when we returned to the states. You could buy upgraded bottles of wine, which I had no problem with, but every time I ordered one from the menu, the server came back and said they were out.
• Waited for the shuttle to the shopping mall one day, only for it to be 40 minutes past the scheduled pick up time. Our group got frustrated and walked to the shopping plaza, which was about a 10 minute walk down busy roads.

Overall:
We had a nice time, clean place, decent food for all-inclusive, but it was a lot of little things that added up to really make us disappointed with the resort. Marcelino and Efrin made our last day very memorable once we communicated our problems. Had we had that kind of service all week, I would have recommended this place for sure. Apparently you have to pay for the VIP status to actually get the “Unlimited Luxury” that they promise, is what I determined. In my opinion, for the extra money that would have cost, it’s not worth it. I would rather take an upscale cruise instead, where you can expect to be well taken care of.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Bolton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2012

came here from 27trh december 2011 - 10th january 2012. well from the minute i checked in everything was amazing fast check in mamusa on arrival and only had to wait 10 minutes for luggage to arrive at the room 1st view of room was wow they are very clean spacious regulary cleaned and fridge restocked towels and bedding changed every day, drinks in all bars were amazing so much to choose from favourite bar was the swim up bar all staff amazing especially PABLO GREEN AND JUHAN excellent service and never did not have a drink in my hand, entertainment was great day and night entertainment staff was all friendly especially, BETTY BOOP, HAPPY FACE AND BLONDIE, hotel grounds were well kept and beautiful, we had a normal room with tropical view but got a side view of the sea. pool was gorgeous and so was the beach and sea so warm like a bath, (only thing i would suggest is get down early for a bed as i went down one day at 8:30am and could not get a bed on beach or pool set alarm after that) new years eve was amazing we ate at the windows buffet which was fantastic and entertainment and foreworks was amazing went in casino (carribean poker won 7000 pesos) also new years eve went the only time to hotel nightclub which is great managed to eat in all buffets and ale cartes my favourites were the blue water grill rib eye steak with blue cheese and the beach restaurant at night was also good steaks, lobster etc all included, the barefoot grill on the beach in the day is amazing nicest chicken, burgers & pizza,( only suggestion is go early 6pm to the ale cartes we went in 1 night at 7pm and had to wiat till 9:45pm to eat and was only 2 of us) also used to 24 hour room service which is great burgers pizzas etc, room fridges refilled daily with beer, water and coke etc and coffee facilities regulary filled, can always find something to eat 24 hours a day, went on the buggy adventure trip which was great got very muddy and we both drove we went swimming in the local beach and the spring water cave we also went to manati park to swim with the dolphins amazing trip. over all had a fantastic time weather was great too,
THANKS TO ALL AT NOW LARIMAR HAD AN AMAZING HOLIDAY, WILL BE COMING AGAIN.

Room Tip: Standrad rooms are fantastic clean and spacious
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Now Larimar Punta Cana? Share your experiences!