“Wonderful winter getaway” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Ocean Blue & Sand

You added Ocean Blue & Sand to your Saves list
Ocean Blue & Sand
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa Arena Gorda, Bavaro, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Announcement
Click for details
Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Bavaro
Sarnia
“Wonderful winter getaway”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2010

My husband and I just returned from a week stay at Ocean Blue and would definitely recommend the resort for any age group, lots for everyone to do if they choose. The grounds were immaculate, beautifully landscaped and lush - the beach and ocean views post card perfect. Staff were always ready with a friendly "Hola" , very welcoming. Our room was large and airy overlooking the gardens adjacent to the pool, a lovely view. The villa as well as our room was very clean and well kept, minor repairs addressed promptly although this we actually heard from another couple not having any issues in our room. The mattress is very firm, not unlike other resorts.
I had read the reviews prior to our trip and was a little concerned re the food - listen ! NO WORRIES !! The buffet restaurant is huge with so many choices - how can you not like something ?? There is something for everyone, I'm a little suspicious of those who complain about this - what do you normally eat ?? I'm curious. I like to try different foods when I'm away, not the same old as I'm used to. If you like the run of the mill routine of cereal, toast, eggs etc it's available. They may not have the particular brand of cereal you like, but listen- you're not at home !! There were so many choices of pastries, breads, cereal, eggs, salads, fruits, smoothies, yoghurt, rice, beans,meats,fish, veggies and so much more and that was breakfast. I suppose if I had any " complaint" it would be the evaporated milk used for coffee, a different taste from what I'm accustomed. I barely noticed the difference by the end of the week.
We enjoyed the Dominican, Bucanero and Italian restaurants as well as the buffet - not bad meal in the lot. I particularly liked the Dominican and would highly recommend trying this native cuisine.
The resort has many activities/shows if you wish to participate. We enjoyed Copa Cabana and Dominican night, caught part of the Lion King. The lobby has live entertainment most nights and is a great place to go for a drink. The pools are fantastic and yes, if you want an umbrella, get down there with your towel by 7 AM to reserve your spot. There's lots of loungers but the umbrella loungers are the first to go. The same rule applies to the beach. The beach - what can I say ? Miles of walking on beautiful sand, the best in front of Ocean Blue. Lots of people all shapes and sizes doing the same. Sun rises around 7:30, gorgeous pictures for our screen savers. There are vendors next to Ocean Blue, it's up to you if you buy but be warned. You cannot bring the woven green palm hats back to North America under the agriculture rules, saw lots of them confiscated at the airport on the way home. The same goes for the " Mamajuana"
liquer base which is a liquor bottle with a collection of dried grasses ( not that kind !) in which you are supposed to put alcohol, let steep then drink. Tastes somewhat like Amaretto. You cannot bring it back uless the alcohol is already in the bottle. Saw that confiscated too.
I found people were a little more formally dressed ie summer dresses in the evening for women, long pants required for men in most of the a la carte restaurants. But beach wear is informal. I felt a little over dressed in my modest 1 piece and my tankini - ladies, don't be afraid ! At the end of the week, I would have worn a bikini had I had one. Almost tempted to go shopping, could not coax my husband into a speedo no matter how hard I tried. I guess we are more self conscious re body image than Europeans but this is a place you can wear that brief little thing and get away with it. Some topless females but not many.
Drinks are plentiful, alcoholic and non. Domestic beer, usual premium drinks and domestic wine which I would not recommend. It would be nice to be able to order an imported wine for those of us who enjoy a glass or 2. Bartenders have a repertoire of mixed drinks, I happen to like the " Mudslide" and gin and tonic.
There were all ages at this resort during our stay, 2 weddings; families with young children, all ages of adults. A really great family resort, teenagers would like the bowling alley although this is an extra cost - worth it for family unity I would say. The bowling alley also has pool tables, air hockey and table tennis. The disco is located here as well. Ther is a little center for very young children "Club Daisy" which offers some day care as well.
All in all, a really relaxing winter getaway. We didn't want to leave.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,656)
  • Polish first
The frozen North
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2010

We stayed one week at this resort (after staying one week at the Dreams Punta Cana, also reviewed). We were through Signature vacations and their representatives were great, they even have a swap box that you can drop off the items you don't want to take home or look for items you are running low on.

We found the food at the buffet really good, we tried most of the a la cartes too and I liked the buffet better. The Italian and the Caribbean were the best, and the service could be a little slow sometimes. The drinks were good and never tasted watered down. We found the dress code to be very informal, shorts and sandals were accepted at most restaurants (the Italian did turn away one man dressed in shorts though).

The resorts asks you not to reserve chairs with your beach towels but everyone does it anyway. I found it frustrating, you would have to get your chairs at the pool by about 800-830 on your way to breakfast. The beach chairs were easier to find until about 1000-1030. There was always a breeze by the beach so it didn't seem as hot there. There are vendors right by the resort so there's lots of people walking by to go shopping. You can walk a very long ways on the beach in both directions, we walked about an hour each way. It's very hard to get past the vendors without feeling harassed, they are very persistent. Vendors come onto the resort on Monday and Fridays and they are pretty agressive too--we had to be rude, they do not accept a polite no thanks. We haven't been to a resort with vendors that pushy before (they were pushy at both resorts we were at) so maybe this is a Punta Cana thing. The gift shop was pretty reasonably priced, $14 for a bottle of sunscreen that was $20 at the other resort and $10 at the shopping plaza mini mart.

The ocean is a very pretty color here, a little rough but you can go in the water. It might be a little too much for small kids though. I found the water very warm, but very seaweedy.

We did two excursions--Saona Island which was good in itself but not worth the 6 hours on the bus to get there, and Outback Safari which was great and I would do again. We also took a taxi for $10 to Bavaro Shopping Plaza. The same stuff as the beach vendors and the pushy vendors just made us want to get out of there and get back to the resort.

Overall, a great place to stay and I would stay here again.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2010

This has been the largest place that we have stayed! Between Ocean Blue and the Ocean Sands next door there is a total of over 750 rooms. On the plus side; The beach was fantastic and you could walk for miles! Water was a little choppy but nothing serious!The options for dining were endless. A sports bar that has hamburgers and chicken wings! Ya! Never seemed to be busy either!. The Ala carte restaurants were fantastic....no reserving, first come first served. You show up, tell them how many people and they tell you to come back in 20 mins or so! Go to the bar and have a drink or two and voila! The Italian restaurant was to die for....service was a little slow but the meal made up for it!
Also two free form pools, each with it's own swim up bar! One in the sun, one in the shade. Although it is a big resort nothing seemed to be to far(we were in the 4000 block...half way to or from the beach and resaurants)away.
The nightlife was fantsatic....excellent professional shows! The disco started happening after midnight but the night we made it in and about 12-14 staff dressed as exotic characters and got the place jumping! Well worth staying up for!
The down side;......? Same old same old......get up early and reserve your chairs by the beach or pools. Not really a down side of the resort though. Same as the beach....was a little windy so when people walked by the sand would blow....not a resort problem really!
Did a "Swimming with the Sharks" excursion for $89 through the Hotel that was not what we expected. They were over booked and gave us a different type of boat than described and no drinks untill after the "swim". We were on the boat for over two hours drinking pop!
They actually sell an excursion with no drinking for those that enjoy a quieter more subdued type of event.
All in all.....for the money, we got what we paid for! An esthetically pleasing, clean, well run Hotel on a fantastic beach under the hot Dominican sun with good food and not much to complain about!
Met great people from everywhere....Cheers to you all!
Richard

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
yankeegirl81
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2010

I would like to start off saying we had a great time at the Ocean Blue resort. The room was clean and comfortable. The grounds were beautiful and clean. The staff was always smiling and saying ola. The beach was our favorite part of the trip. It had blue warm water and soft white sand. My husband cant swim and he even went in to his shoulders. Great beach for kids.Some women were topless but you really had to look for them. There was 2 pools and they were clean and really big. There is a lot of walking involved at this resort. The food was okay not the best but there is always something you can find to eat. You will not starve. The burgers were awful.We ate at the mexican and Italian restaurant they were both really good. The Route 66 was not good at all.Mikes coffee shop was good too.We went parasailing and that was cool. I would say that it was a good time at Ocean blue. go relax and have a good time thats what vacation is all about.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
St Louis, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2010

Nice location. Beautiful beach. Food could be better. Route 66 Restaurant had great garlic chicken breast. Loved Mike's Coffee Shop. Gym needed some better equipment. Casino was small but adequate. Free wi-fi in lobby was not reliable.

• Stayed February 2010
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2010

This resort was beautiful. The food was great with lots of choices. Staff was very friendly and tried very hard to make the best possible experience for you. There were no bugs, the rooms were exceptionaly clean as was the grounds of the resort.
Bavaro Beach is beautiful and I went 2-3 miles in each direction on the beach and can say that the part that belongs to Ocean Blue is the best.
Only complaint I have is that the fitness center is not 24 hour access so you can not use it until 8am and that is very minor obviously.
I read many reviews before we left and was worried because some were negative. If someone says something bad about this resort they must take themselves to seriously.
Other good things: Pools are huge, both have swim up bars but one is kinda the action pool and the other one is more low key.
JC and the entertainment crew were good not to pushy but high energy. They also put on pretty good shows at night.
Casino and Lobby bar at night were fun disco was'nt really a hot spot but okay for a few drinks to end the night.
Age range of the people varied a lot. I would'nt call this a party resort but if you like to have a boat load of drinks and have good fun this plays delivered. I traveled with my wife and another couple we are around 30, and met people and had drinks with all sorts of people from different generations and had a blast. We will be going back for sure!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2010

Our family with three young children , 7,4 and 4, just returned from our first visit to the ocean sand resort. What a wonderful week we had. Besides the weather being fabulous, it only rained for an hour or so two nights...but who cares, it's the daytime that matters! We stayed at villa 9, very clean, very large, and we had all five in a room. My seven year old slept on the "sofa bed", really more like a lounge couch, only fits one person. (and probably only 5-51/2feet long) Perfect for a child or short adult. Just be sure to ask at check in that you need that extra bed made up etc. Bathroom had 2 sinks, marble everywhere, bath with jacuzzi/stand up shower with 1/2 glass door. Log cord shower head you can remove...makes it so easy to shower and wash kids hair! No complaints!

The pools were beautiful, large and clean. The pool closest to the beach was where we sat because it had a very large gradual entry/shallow area for the kids to play. We could actually sit on the cots and watch them with little worry. They loved playing on the "slides" which were the sunbeds in the water!

Lots of cots, and well laid out, but we did get our towels first, around 8:30-9:00 and laid them out, then went to breakfast because otherwise you may not get cots in the area you want. It is sometimes difficult to find cots with an umbrella, but we were in the pool or ocean most of the time anyways.

The buffet by the beach way great. Not as much variety as the main buffet, but pizza, pasta, meat, fries, hot dogs, rice , beans , veggies, corn on the cob etc., more than enough for us. Very convenient, could eat right by the sand, or on the sand at the picnic tables about 30 feet from the ocean....beautiful! My kids loved the "dirty monkey's and strawberry daiquiris" with no alcohol of course! The lemon slushy was great too.

Nobody got sick at all, but we didn't eat any salads etc. The Mexican restaurant was our favourite. Italian not so great. Main buffet always lots to choose from. Shows were very good. Mini disco was fun with the kids. Sometimes it's hard to know what's going on for the young kids so just ask "Belise" at the Daisy club what the plan for the day/evening is. My 7 year old made lots of friends at the kids club, and my little ones enjoyed it too. usually arts and crafts for the first hour, then to the pool for swim and water balloon fun for second hour. Simalar for afternoon session. Belise took them one afternoon to feed the fish at the pond , and play tennis. Once to the beach area, but the rest was as I've said. She gives them popcorn, cold water, ice-cream etc. for snack too! Probably not the best kids club there is, but for my age of kids, it met their needs. There's also a nice "park" in front on the sand that's fenced with a few slides, climbers, and lots of sand toys to play with etc. Oh, Mikes cafe,,,,,after dinner ,,,coffee, strawberry smoothies and muffins...we miss it already!

Any questions just ask. We don't understand how anyone can be unhappy with this resort...pretty close to perfect for a great price!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family

Been to Ocean Blue & Sand? Share your experiences!